Bernie Sanders, the Media and 2020.

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | 2020 Elections | President | Bernie Sanders, the Media and 2020.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Land of Enchantment
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 741

https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2019/01/22/bernie-sanders-the-media-and-2020/.

“Bernie doesn’t need to be a bully so much as a street fighter.  He will have to run an endless gauntlet: mischaracterization by the MSM, attacks from more centrist candidates, libelous attack ads from billionaires terrified of his reformist vision, and then the final boss, Trump.  The key will be to hit back every time- but through constructive criticism.  Any time someone tries to use Venezuela as a scarecrow against his platform, he needs to point out facts, like how every other industrialized country has universal healthcare.  If a candidate bankrolled by abusive-towards-employees companies like Wal-Mart and Amazon tries to label a $15 minimum wage as economic suicide, the Bernie campaign needs to point out that the minimum wage is $13.61 in Luxembourg and $18.93 in Australia.  If a columnist writes that Bernie “has a problem” with people of color, Bernie needs to point out that he has the highest approval rating among people of color… a margin that’s at least double that of any candidate besides Biden.

Luckily, Bernie has a circle of highly media-savvy friends who can help represent him on TV, social media and through op-eds, such as Nina Turner and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.  The Vermonter has had three years to analyze the arguments and smears used against each of his policy proposals and perceived electoral weaknesses.  The aforementioned Ocasio-Cortez has shown what kinds of arguments to expect against marginal tax rates, which are a necessity for any of Bernie’s major proposals.  In this particular case, you just have to do the hard work of explaining how marginal taxation works; since most Americans don’t understand such vagaries, they are susceptible to the pundits on Fox who imply that a billionaire’s entire income is taxed at the top marginal rate.

The Bernie campaign must be similarly strict in regards to rival candidates.  As the frontrunner, everyone will be aiming at the target on his back.  Letting a dozen-plus make uncontested shots against you can easily lead to death-by-a-thousand-cuts.  In the poll position, one shouldn’t strike preemptively.  When attacked however, a counter-punch must be considered on the bases of the strength of the attacker and the attack.  For example, if Kamala Harris starts intimating that Bernie is disconnected from voters of color, he would be justified in responding, based on the potential harm of the smear and the prominence of the opponent.  Bernie could respond by pointing out that Harris (while CA Attorney General) fought against repealing the death penalty, marijuana legalization, police brutality accountability and overturning the convictions of 600 wrongfully accused.  If Biden tries to lecture Bernie about “electability”, he can respond by pointing out the former VP’s tone-deaf defense of oligarchsschool segregation and bashing of young people.  By establishing a good clap-back game early on, Bernie can scare candidates (especially weaker ones) into avoiding him.  Trump was able to develop this helpful aura during the GOP primaries; his rivals tended to focus either on attacking weaker candidates or toadying up to Trump in an attempt to win over his supporters.”

“Hope is the feathered thing that perches in your heart.” ~ Emily Dickinson

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 13,776

Well, that’s accurate. Thanks for posting.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

If Democrats don’t stand for the people, why should people stand for them?--Jim Hightower

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 4,927

I disagree.

I don’t disagree that Bernie should do all those things, but the above mentioned is a reactionary tactic. It is from his “poll” position he should  be stating all these things. He should be stating them and contrasting his positions with his opponents from the front of the pack. If he waits to respond to attacks, he will find himself at the back of the pack.

I see a series of ads geared to each major, potential opponent. State his case: health care, income disparity, marijuana, death penalty, whatever. Then contrast with opponent A, B or C. If he has a similar position as his opponent, Warren or Gabbard for instance, state that, too. No need to knock progressive  opponents, bring them along. One might serve as a VP. And “losing” to another progressive is no loss.

In a nutshell: ACT, don’t REact.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Land of Enchantment
        Keymaster

I think the author was coming from the examples of how the MSM and the Democratic Party treated Bernie in 2016 and was comparing it to how they are already pursuing the same strategy even before he announces. I agree Bernie should be proactive–I just don’t know if he can operate that way. I recall in the debates he did get his points across and those were probably the most proactive times of the entire primary season but I don’t recall him directly going after her positions outside the debates…

The MSM largely ignored him then switched to trashing him as he became better known and presented a threat to their chosen one. They are the masters of twisting his words and/or outright lying about him which automatically puts him on the defensive. I think he has used this time to thoroughly evaulate what happened throughout the entire fiasco of that corrupt to the core primary and has made adjustments and perhaps developed a different strategy as a result–guess we will find out soon. He was so damn gentlemanly the last time around maybe this time the gloves will come off— but then I think they will use that to further disparage him. sigh…

sonofspy777
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,120

Bernie has hired Ocasio’s media team. THEY get it.

Bernie will CRUSH them all with the small “t”  truth while all they have is “Truth”

i.e. LIES…which no longer fool us .

Itinerary:

1. Run in 2016. Be cheated of the Nom…Check!
      2. Continue campaigning all over the US for 2 years esp in “Red” states… Check!
      3. Educate everyone on how we can have nice things…Check!
      4. Move the Goalposts on M4All, Tax the Rich, and Free Tuition… Check!

Happy Ending for 99% of US families.

Bernie figured he could do more good ALIVE,
      than dead in a small plane "accident".
      I think he's right.

Don't you?

Snort McDork
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,680

As I have mentioned before, Bernie’s following will be huuuuuuge this time around-more so than 2016. That was the analysis I got from a TYT  video or from Jimmy Dore. He has set the table for a groundswell of support for his proposals-all of which are very popular with the American people. I do believe he will lead in the polls as well. This will make the democratic goons heads explode-including the M$M. What I hope is that Bernie has learned much from his 2016 campaign-including the attempts to railroad his campaign all-together. And finally, what I really hope is that he runs as an “I” or another 3rd party to avoid the horses**t of the democratic party goons. If he does that, he should achieve the goal of getting the nomination. This is what it will be like across the country in 2020:

I'm Snort McDork and I approved this message.

"I like birdy num-nums"

greenfive
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 123

Maybe it would be wise to wait see if a Corker or Kasich primaries Trump? Then run a 3rd party? Finally get rid of the dross that the 2 main parties have become.

Maybe they are playing ‘chicken’?

Land of Enchantment
        Keymaster

Thanks–I agree Kasich will probably primary him and I have a funny feeling that Romney will too—why else did he run for the senate seat in Utah? He’s got something up his sleeve. Maybe they will even encourage others to challenge Trump–you know, those hiding behind the curtains. As for Bernie running on a third party ticket I doubt it. It’s virtually impossible to get on the ballot in all 50 states without years of preparations and by the time the primaries conclude it would be logistically impossible. I have a lot of faith in Bernie and feel certain he is well aware of all the obstacles that will be hurled into his path and has made calculated decisions as to how he will deal with them as they come. It’s going to be rough but we have the fortitude to prevail–we won’t be fooled again!

Bernin4U
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 398

Sorry, but I won’t be holding my breath that they’ll ever allow Bernie (or Tulsi) anywhere near the “final boss”.

Not that I won’t fight for it. Even though 2020 will be a repeat of 2016 (except Trump will win more decisively this time), all of the time and energy and money will once again be worth it, if only to further move the discussion and public awareness.

Sign the petition to draft Jesse #Ventura2020
      https://peopleforjesse.com/

Write him in for the WA primary
      https://greenpartywashington.org/2020/05/29/gpwa-ballot-for-presidential-nominee-and-state-officers/

bazukhov
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,621

The MSM is interested in politics in the same way it’s interested in sports or crime or celebrities.  If it attracts commercials they’ll run it.  For the most part, they aren’t journalists looking to inform the public they’re businessmen selling advertising.   How many Big Macs will a story about Bernie’s drive for medical care sell?

“If it bleeds it leads.”  (Author unknown)

Tell me, great captain, how do the angels sleep when the devil leaves his porch light on? Tom Waites

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.