Chris Hedges, “The Culture of Depair” 12/20/2020

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Multimedia | Chris Hedges, “The Culture of Depair” 12/20/2020

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 5,108

Surrounded by conversation and general solstice music from the Community Church of Boston…

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

snot
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,154

beginning at ca. 30:53 min.

Destruction is easy; creation is hard, but more interesting.

Mr. Mickeys Mom

… as a foreign correspondent. The NYTimes now is part of the blindfolding of Americans until we are left with no resources to fight back.

And, what have I seen go back and forth, up and down during this entire Christmas season, but fucking Amazon van delivery day after day… We don’t have to do this, but we do while people who vote for their team go to Wallmart.

As a Christmas present this year, my husband and I paid an extra $400 on our home improvement loan so that we are debt free by next summer… Jesus fucking KayRIGHT.

ThouArtThat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,542

@mrmickeysmom

Hi mmm,

Big Chris Hedges fan. I have watched dozens of these presentations and Q&As.

What I have noticed repeatedly is that the well meaning audience is still clueless about how the left was decimated after the 60s. Chris spends about a minute on the number one tactical action taken by the Oligarchs, Corporations and Banks starting in the 1970s – The Powell Memo.

Based on watching these presentations and the similar frustrations and questions asked by audiences across the country, I submit nothing will change until three things happen:

1) take the time to read the Powell Memo reflecting on its success as witnessed today and
      2) begin the process of crafting a similar “Long Term” strategy outside of electoral politics and
      3) work the plan as zealously as did the right wing starting 49 years ago.

Until something similar happens on the left, nothing will change and we will watch similar Chris Hedges presentations and similar frustrations and questions a decade from now.

It’s well past time for progressives to stop waiting for a progressive messiah to change a fatally flawed and broken political economy in the country formerly known as America.

TAT

PS – thanks for sharing.

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
      - John F. Kennedy

"The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it."
      - George Orwell

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
      - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Sometimes a pessimist is only an optimist with extra information."
      - Idries Shah

"A riot is the language of the unheard."
      - Martin Luther King

Mr. Mickeys Mom

@thouartthat

They were so afraid, those “free enterprisers” that this was the reaction after all the campus demonstrations to Vietnam and the summer of love, culminating in what I used to belt out as a 1971 rock and roll song by Ten Years After “I’d love to change the world”… THIS was the amount of effort to push forward their cry for the corporate state… and it won, didn’t it?

And, so it must be snuffed…

ThouArtThat
          Participant

@mrmickeysmom

Hi mmm,

Assuredly, the Oligarchs Corporations and Banks won as we now live in a full blown Fascist state as defined by Benito Mussolini in 1912.

Fascism being the merger of corporate and state interests. I can find no part of society that has not been subsumed, with state support, into a corporate monetized enterprise.

And that reality is what the “summer of love” boomers still can’t quite seem to grasp. Capitalism won, free love lost.

Once again, the place to start is an understanding of what the enemy did to succeed by reading the Powell Memo. With that knowledge set out to craft a progressive 50 year plan to rest control from the capitalists.

And then doggedly work the plan just like the enemy did starting 49 years ago. Rest assured the enemy will never sleep. And rest assured nothing will change unless progressives engage in a similarly organized and focused fashion.

TAT

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
          - John F. Kennedy

"The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it."
          - George Orwell

- Jiddu Krishnamurti

- Idries Shah

- Martin Luther King

Mr. Mickeys Mom
            1. Not all the hipsters gave up after the summer of love, whether or not they were there.
            2. Although the plan “against the enemy” is to strategize in the same manner as corporatism has been defined, the fascist or their subjects must understand the mistake of their consumption of that product.
            3. Leading by example takes as long as #2 and is an important step along the way.

ThouArtThat
              Participant

@mrmickeysmom

Hi mmm,

I am not sure I get the drift. The main point is simply this. The enemy (capitalism) developed a plan and have doggedly worked their plan for the last 49 years. They succeeded because they had a vision and they stuck to their vision enabled by a plan.

Without a vision and plan, the left (progressives) will continue to be in “cat herding” mode which, to date, has accomplished next to nothing over the last 49 years. If progressives want to win then we will have to organize for the long haul not just the next “feel good” protest march.

TAT

PS – @utopianleftist I do not disagree with the assessment that the US is in a precarious state. I am also not suggesting a target of 50 years. The point of mentioning 50 years was to illustrate the doggedness and determination of the enemy (capitalism).

Since no one knows when or if a new civil war will unfold, the only rational path is developing a plan and then commit to implementing that plan with the same doggedness as the enemy. If achieving the goals of the plan take one day, one week, one month, one year, one decade or one millennium that really is not the point. The point is single-minded, consistent effort for the duration.

- John F. Kennedy

- George Orwell

- Jiddu Krishnamurti

- Idries Shah

- Martin Luther King

Mr. Mickeys Mom

We, the People are the ones who succumb to corporatism by consuming, so the solution should include us… The strategy of overcoming this is for us to act, and the most obvious way is to NOT consume any more than we have to. By contracting that economy and deciding we don’t need the newest thing, is absolutely necessary to working against corporatism/fascism.

You say, The enemy (capitalism) developed a plan
                But, then you continue with, we will have to organize for the long haul not just the next “feel good” protest march. 

The enemy isn’t so much the faceless entity of capitalism, but the enablers of it. The fight occurs among humans and the goal is to stop consuming. It won’t be easy, and about 20-30% of us are going to be needed for this fight. The rest of us are hapless consumers or what I refer to as the consensus state. The odds are pretty much against us so far.

ThouArtThat
                  Participant

@mrmickeysmom

Hi mmm,

No doubt the political economy of the US will have to change. And that change will require restructuring the rules of commerce and the charters under which corporations exist and operate.

Changing those rules would go a long way toward undoing wealth inequality and related economic injustice enabled by corporate friendly laws and tax loopholes.

As to consumption, that is a desirable outcome but not necessarily easy to implement. From the frame of climate change, the most direct path forward would be an individual carbon budget.

Each citizen would have a maximum cap of carbon they could emit as a result of their consumption. Any under consumption would generate a tax break. Any over consumption would generate a tax liability. The same would apply to firms (small business up to the largest multi-national corporations).

By placing a hefty tax liability on over consumption, a significant portion of excess indulgence would be abated. To combat excesses of the uber wealthy the carbon budget tax would need to be extremely progressive as excess consumption rose. So much so that even the likes of a Bezos would feel the pain.

TAT

- John F. Kennedy

- George Orwell

- Jiddu Krishnamurti

- Idries Shah

- Martin Luther King

Utopian Leftist
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 512

is closer than it may appear. @thouartthat I do agree with your point that we have to organize. And I wish the left would stick together more than we do: support each other more.

And I don’t like to sound discouraging, however, I don’t believe we have fifty years, or even ten. The people can only stand so much without a safety net. There will be no manna from heaven to save us. One straw too many will break that camel’s back. I can feel the bones creaking already from the weight of our rigged economy.

It’s looking increasingly likely that the revolution will only come with bloodshed. I’m a Pacifist, so I have a huge issue with that, but I no longer see any other viable route to sustainable change under the current conditions. Bernie WAS the compromise. Since the oligarchs refuse to even consider rational solutions, then we the people will undoubtedly end up using the irrational ones (war and violence), since that is what has always historically happened. At this point, either we (literally) bring back some form of literal violence (the Guillotine or pitchforks would be potential forms), or else the oligarchs have made it clear they will have no problem with their version of a Soylent Green Final Solution™.

It is frightfully sad, but I do believe that the more desperate things get, the more people become aware of how our corrupt system is rotten to its core, the more likely a revolution develops.

"All fascism is a result of a failure of the left to provide a viable alternative." ~ Trotsky

snot
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 1,154

@ThouArtThat!  It’s been pretty obvious that over the last several decades, more than one corporate player has been intentionally acting in the ways recommended in the Powell memo – but I don’t recall ever hearing much about the memo.  Just downloaded it; glad to know about it!

Destruction is easy; creation is hard, but more interesting.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.