• update

The text box issue is fixed. You can now post just a title in replies again. Thank you Manny! Working on the rest. Thank you for your patience.

Home Topics in Depth Economics Consumers Haven't Felt This Good About Government Economic Policies Since 2009

• Purveyor (2633 posts)
    Profile photo of Purveyor Donor

Consumers Haven't Felt This Good About Government Economic Policies Since 2009

by Julie Verhage and Luke Kawa
    December 9, 2016 — 11:42 AM EST

The U.S. presidential election was only a month ago, but President-elect Donald Trump is already having a massive impact on consumers’ confidence and outlook for the future.

In the preliminary reading of the University of Michigan’s December index of sentiment, consumer confidence jumped by more than expected amid a rosier outlook for their own personal finances and their best opinion on the government’s economic policies in seven years, with unprompted mentions of an improving policy backdrop reaching an all-time high.

“When asked what news they had heard of recent economic developments, more consumers spontaneously mentioned the expected positive impact of new economic policies than ever before recorded in the long history of the surveys,” the statement from Richard Curtin, director of the survey, reads.

–clip

“Bottom line, this is all about Trump enthusiasm,” Peter Boockvar, chief market analyst at the Lindsey Group LLC, wrote in a note following the report. “With the rise in optimism, we’ll soon see to what extent this translates into a change in economic behavior.”

more…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-09/consumers-haven-t-felt-this-good-about-government-economic-policies-since-2009

Gracchus, Doremus Jessup like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
14 replies
  • yourout (313 posts)
    Profile photo of yourout

1. Things will go great for a year or two and then…

once all the Republican nonsense that they pass take effect it will come crashing down.

Just about every Republican President has trashed the economy before they get booted.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

5. just about every modern president has. some overtly, some by stealth.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

10. yep. democrats' citizen-unfriendly policies take a bit longer to kick in, but

they’re all of a piece

• jwirr (3391 posts)
      Profile photo of jwirr Donor

11. The budget is always passed two years ahead of time so you are right for the

first two years things should be reasonably okay. And if we are lucky we will be angry enough to take the Senate back. They will have gerrymandered the House so that we may never be able to get it back.

• Gracchus (1257 posts)
    Profile photo of Gracchus

2. I wonder if Trump will emulate Reagan and cut taxes while boosting military

spending. This might drive demand up enough to fuel consumption. Of course, Trump’s other economic policies may in the long run make us worse off, just like Reagan.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

6. military spending doesn't do a whole lot for the economy, i think.

neither do tax cuts for the rich or the upper middle.  they have plenty of money already, they’re not going to spend a lot more except on “investments”.  more phony “investments” to drive up real estate and stock prices = new bubbles to pop.

• Akallabeth (2234 posts)
        Profile photo of Akallabeth

9. Military is the most efficient at wasting money with less spent on wages

I think thats likely how they see it.

"Out of many, one"
        • jwirr (3391 posts)

12. And when you get done spending the military budget you get nothing because you

either have to have a war and blow it all to hell or it sets in some dump rusting after a few years and you need to replace it. It is like banks and the internet. No real exchange of cash.

14. planned obsolescence

"Out of many, one"
  • jwirr (3391 posts)

3. There is a difference between buying the necessities and items that are fun

gifts. I bought gift certificates for my family from the grocery store not a new electronic toy that they would enjoy. I don’t think that they measure that in their study.

4. This is total bullshit

When did US media become TOTAL propaganda.. a while ago.

"Out of many, one"
    • FanBoy (7985 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

7. +1000 i think they're talking about the rich. trumps real peeps

• marmar (131 posts)
      Profile photo of marmar Donor

8. It's almost comical propaganda at this point. …. Well, tragicomic.

• faultindicator (973 posts)
    Profile photo of F I Donor

13. Having cut the cable a few years back and not getting the usual holiday messages

leaves me to create opinions from what I see. Once upon a time the wonderful state of the holiday economy was broadcast everyday, spreading the word of another record breaking season for retailers. Roadways were jammed, parking spaces hard to find, and shoppers could be seen everywhere fumbling with bags and boxes as they left the store. This year seems different. Maybe it’s just me.

A reasonable request: Reduce daily TV viewing time by 1/2 hour starting now. Ask others to do the same, follow through with them, break the media habit. FI - Simple and straight forward, just like this place, solutions without the bullshit.