Daily Trivia May 23, 2022, The Great Depression Edition …

Homepage | Forums | JackPine Radical Rooms | Daily Posts by JackPine Radicals | Daily Trivia May 23, 2022, The Great Depression Edition …

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 8,115

It’s never depressing finding some trivia, that is, if Pam doesn’t point out to me that it’s been done before.  But, sometimes you have trivia depression… Don’t ask me why, cause I ain’t gonna tell you why. You’re probably gonna get this one quick anyway…

What were the shacktowns that sprang up during the Depression called?

(Looking up the answer is cheating… Don’t!)

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 9,528

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

GZeusH
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,508

But not the J. Edgar variety.  (Where everyone is in drag)

Hitler 1944: Kiev is to be held to the last man.
      Biden 2022: Kiev is to be held to the last Ukrainian.

NV Wino

“Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Mr. Mickeys Mom

You win, too! GIF by Declan McKenna @nvwino

I’ll bet you and @GZeusH can hardly wait for your prize, too…

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      The financial crisis of the Great Depression left thousands of people unhoused. Throughout the U.S., they formed hundreds of makeshift towns from crude shacks. These towns were nicknamed “Hoovervilles” after Herbert Hoover, who was President when the crisis began. The name helped lay the blame for the Great Depression and the housing crisis squarely on Hoover.

NV Wino

???

GZeusH
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 5,508

they weren’t that much removed from another group of homeless people, the Conestoga wagon trains of the previous century.  Can you imagine what American police departments would do if somebody pulled their Conestoga wagon up to the outskirts of Omaha or Salt Lake City or Portland today? Would they let them set up camp until they could plant a crop and toss up a shack?

Hitler 1944: Kiev is to be held to the last man.
        Biden 2022: Kiev is to be held to the last Ukrainian.

Mr. Mickeys Mom

Sugar Cream Pie

from among the 35 comforting depression-era desserts, courtesy of Taste of Home..

Sugar Cream Pie Exps Ghbz18 58705 E08 15 2b 7

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Dough for single-crust pie
      • 1 cup sugar
      • 1/4 cup cornstarch
      • 2 cups 2% milk
      • 1/2 cup butter, cubed
      • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      1. Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
      2. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edge is light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 375°.
      3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Transfer to crust; sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack; refrigerate until chilled.

Satan
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 6,150

Don’t think they had 2% milk back then. Given the name, I’m thinking they probably used real cream.. or maybe fresh whole milk that still had the cream in it, since a lot of folks probably got it straight from the cow in those days.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

HassleCat
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 9,177

Milk from the family cows can vary a lot in butter fat content. A Holstein cow in the winter might give milk of 2 or 3 percent butter fat. A Jersey cow eating good grass and alfalfa in the summer could give milk with 10 percent butter fat, and I have heard people claim 13 percent for their favorite cows. That’s almost as much as the half-and-half we get at the store.

HassleCat
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 9,177

When it says “combine sugar and corn starch,” do that until they’re indistinguishable from each other, maybe sifting them together three or four times. That way the corn starch does not get clumpy and lumpy. I’m going to try this pie, perhaps with some added brandy or rum or bourbon.

Mr. Mickeys Mom

I want to try it, too, regardless of cow status!

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 10,904

We’ve never had this question before! As far as I can remember…..

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 10,904

Since I was too late to play, I’ll add a song.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.