Deval Patrick’s Candidacy Is Another Chapter in the Democrats’ 2020 Clown Car Disaster

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Deval Patrick’s Candidacy Is Another Chapter in the Democrats’ 2020 Clown Car Disaster

• Author

ZimInSeattle
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 1,144
    @ziminseattle

The entrance of the former Massachusetts governor into the presidential race is more proof the party has no clue where the votes are

Deval Patrick, former governor of Massachusetts and newly-resigned executive of Mitt Romney’s private equity firm Bain Capital, has entered the Democratic primary race, which is shaping up to be the biggest ensemble-disaster comedy since Cannonball Run.

Patrick’s entry comes after news that former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg put himself on the ballot in Alabama and Arkansas. It also comes amid word from Hillary Clinton that “many, many, many” people are urging her to run in 2020, and whispers in the press that an “anxious Democratic establishment” has been praying for alternate candidacies in a year that had already seen an astonishing 26 different people jump in the race.

A piece in the New York Times a few weeks ago suggested Democratic insiders, going through a “Maalox moment” as they contemplated possible failure in next year’s general election season, were fantasizing about “white knight” campaigns by Clinton, Patrick, John Kerry, Michelle Obama, former Attorney General Eric Holder (!), or Ohio’s Sherrod Brown.

More: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/deval-patrick-2020-election-democrat-candidate-912661/

Vichy Dem (VD) + Group of Parasites (GOP) = Plutocratic Uniparty (PU) PU slogan for the 99%: "Consume and Be Happy!" "The more I see of the moneyed people, the more I understand the guillotine" - George Bernard Shaw

MistaP
    • Total Posts: 1,891
    @mistap

whiskey and Pepto-Bismol

elias39
      • Total Posts: 2,877
      @elias39

Well now, that was strange.

Zopilote
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 497
    @zopilote

They are scared shitless Bernie might win.

When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.
    - Sinclair Lewis

Dude, it started coming in 1981 - Zopilote

HassleCat
    • Total Posts: 1,448
    @hasslecat

The more I see, the more I think Trump will win.

Cold Mountain Trail
    • Total Posts: 4,964
    @coldmountaintrail

do they really think any of their trump-lite plutocrat clowns are going to be popular with voters in this election?  i just can’t see it happening.  that was the 1980 (‘give the rich a chance’) election, not this one (‘string ’em up’).

MizzGrizz
    • Total Posts: 459
    @mizzgrizz

Another “flood the field with conservatives” entry.

Electrolyte Orchestra
    • Total Posts: 92
    @electrolyteorchestra

The entry of Patrick and Bloomberg to the race makes me think there are monied interests that aren’t satisfied with the current crop of Dem candidates.

It makes sense that these two pull votes from Biden the most, followed by whomever had been previously supported by those monied interests, namely Warren, Mayor Pete, and K Harris. Those funds for now get further diversified.

Will Bloomberg or Patrick hurt Bernie’s run? I don’t think so. These two would pull voters from elsewhere.

Ohio Barbarian
    • Total Posts: 7,728
    @ohiobarbarian

“I don’t think that wealth is the problem. I think greed is the problem.”–Deval Patrick

The problem is one person or family or small class of people possessing too much wealth always results in political inequality, injustice, and ultimately, social instability. There’s nothing any government can do about human greed–outlawing it would be about as effective as outlawing lust or partying–but government can do something about how much wealth its citizens can possess.

Patrick knows this, all those greedy wealthy fucks do, so he focuses on the thing government can’t do.

Anyway, he will get no popular support. He works for Bain Capital and Ameriquest before that. He’s a bottom feeder, playing spokesman for the viciously greedy capitalists who get rich by driving companies out of business and homeowners from their homes. In another time and place, he would have been correctly called an Uncle Tom. He’s fake. Faker than Obama was, and that’s saying something.

That said, @zopilote that’s exactly it; they’re scared to death of Bernie, so scared they’re afraid to mention his name lest he manifest. @hasslecat I agree with you that Trump will win, unless Bernie is the nominee, in which case he will crush Trump.

We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

With Bernie Sanders, we have the receipts. --Nina Turner

rampart
      • Total Posts: 437
      @rampart

@ohio barbarian thanks for the info. I don’t know much about this guy, and I really don’t care unless he starts catching on.

the reason that vultures like trump and bain are interested in the usa is the vast wealth represented by our common real estate.

urban real estate like post offices and military bases can be sold at auction for pennies on the dollar to the “right” buyers. of taxes can be lowered enough to drive up the debt even national parks will be for sale. cheap.

ZimInSeattle
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 1,144
    @ziminseattle

Yup. I agree @hasslecat @ohiobarbarian @zopilote The Inauthentic Opposition prefers Trump to Bernie and are perfectly willing to scuttle their own election to that end. Thanks for the primer on Patrick OB.

Vichy Dem (VD) + Group of Parasites (GOP) = Plutocratic Uniparty (PU) PU slogan for the 99%: "Consume and Be Happy!" "The more I see of the moneyed people, the more I understand the guillotine" - George Bernard Shaw

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 7,728
      @ohiobarbarian

@ziminseattle It gets worse. I don’t remember all of the details, but when he worked for Obama’s Justice Department, Patrick did something for Texaco. I don’t remember whether he dropped federal criminal charges against them, or let them get off the hook for massive deliberately-caused environmental disasters with trifling fines, but when he left government service his first job was VP of Texaco.

Tim Black, Secular Talk, Rational National, TYT, the Hill Rising have all accurately covered that bit of Patrick’s biography.

I suppose one can say that Deval Patrick definitely committed Texaco pro quo.

We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

With Bernie Sanders, we have the receipts. --Nina Turner

eridani
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 3,661
    @eridani

Deval Patrick Volunteers to Lose Democratic Primary

https://newrepublic.com/article/155741/deval-patrick-volunteers-lose-democratic-primary

Just as the potential candidacies of billionaires Howard Schultz and Michael Bloomberg have left us to wonder about who might be the constituency for such a transparent defense of the ruling class, today’s entrance of former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick into the presidential race makes alarmingly little sense—at least from the perspective of “winning votes.” Who is clamoring for a presidential candidate from the bowels of Bain Capital? Who feels underserved by the current Democratic presidential field, packed cheek to jowl with wannabes who also support a public option over Medicare for All, who believe that extreme wealth is not inherently bad, and who promise to not alienate swing state voters by promising to improve their lives? What is happening?

There can be no single, satisfying explanation for Patrick’s baffling decision. It is undoubtable that ego plays a role; ‘twas ever thus: Anyone who believes that they would be a good president and enjoy doing it is pretty suspect, even if they’re right. Patrick’s candidacy, however, is unique in that it can be understood as the logical endpoint of a media culture which hews to the belief that what Wall Street guys have to say about the world is, by definition, endlessly fascinating—and which, consequently, treats these flagitious aristocrats as wise men of society who must be consulted, courted, and coddled by whoever wishes to be president.

Though Bloomberg might have the plushest coffers (and a truly abysmal record), Patrick is an equally horrible emissary from the gilded encampment of Wall Street. As the Huffington Post’s Zach Carter documented last year, Patrick made his millions from providing consultancy services to companies profiting from some of the most miserable activities in America’s thriving profiting-off-misery sector, most notably helping a GOP donor’s “notorious” subprime mortgages business, Ameriquest. Patrick made $360,000 a year at the company, which was responsible for 2,500 foreclosures in Detroit alone. In 1999, two years after the Department of Justice—where Patrick served as assistant attorney general in the civil rights division—signed a $176 million settlement with Texaco for racial discrimination against its employees, Patrick joined the company as its general counsel. (His primary duty at Texaco was to ensure the company grew into an even larger behemoth through a merger with Chevron.) In a primary where Joe Biden’s fundraiser with a fossil fuel executive was bad enough to cause a stir, what’s going to happen when a former Texaco executive jumps in?

In fact, we know that they are freaked out, thanks to the comical lengths that the media has gone to ask various Wall Street guys about just how freaked out they are about the Democratic candidates. Financial sector factotums might be second only to working white class voters in diners in Trump Country in terms of how much attention the media feels it must pay to them, and how the media sees their opinions as a valuable lens into politics. Over and over, we must hear about their fretting, their jitters, their discomfort with the options ahead of them.

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

Populist Prole
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 223
    @populistprole

Really really good piece: highly recommend. Thanks for posting it too.

Thesis statement of the whole article:

It makes sense that corporate America, under attack from the left, would send one of their most trusted turd-polishers to a Democratic primary process that seems to be slowly drifting away from them. As Joe Biden fails to deftly dominate the field as predicted, leaving Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren with decent shots at winning, Wall Street guys must surely be freaked out.

We can see the utter futility of their ways, and knock ourselves out wondering why they do what they do. The article explains why, and very well.

djean111
    • Total Posts: 2,442
    @djean111

I do believe the offishul DNC/SV counter to this is that we are racist, because Deval Patrick was a poor black man who went to Harvard and then got good jobs.  Whatever he may have done to  poor black people is actually what ANY white corrupt corporate tool would do!   I expect Mitt Romney/Bain will be polished up and redeemed very soon.  Unless Mitt runs for president again, of course.

I will not vote for a Vichy Dem. Period. As always, I decide who is a Vichy Dem.

Bernie's ISSUES or Bust!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.