Dow up more than 1,000 points in biggest one-day gain ever

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Latest Breaking News | Dow up more than 1,000 points in biggest one-day gain ever

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 4,346

Source: Business/Guardian

But analysts said that the fundamental concers of investors about the global economy and trade had not disappeared.

“Investors are aware of negative factors, but they aren’t paying attention to those. They are looking at the Dow’s 1,000 gain,” said Norihiro Fujito, chief investment strategist at Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley Securities in Tokyo.

“I think worries regarding the US government shutdown as well as lack of clarity over whether the US-Sino negotiations (over trade) will go well or not still remain.”

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

ThouArtThat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,858

eom

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

- P.C. Hodgell

The essence of normality is the refusal of reality.

- Ernest Becker

Politics is the entertainment division of the Military Industrial Complex.

- Frank Zappa

Rights aren't rights if someone can take them away. They're privileges.

- George Carlin

Sooner or later we all sit down to a banquet of consequences.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Mr. Mickeys Mom

The next year should portray this rollercoaster ride. In the meantime… all of us who have any investments (401k, index funds) keep getting the hair cut that provide this ride.

N2Doc
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,322

The big traders make their money on the delta (volatility), not on buy and hold. This sort of pattern makes them big bucks.

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 17,305

the other multibillionaire bankers about the other day.

They know the stock market is going to crash; they just don’t know when. JPMorganChase has warned its own investors of a stock market dive sometime next year or in early 2020. Let the hot potato tossing and short-selling begin!

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

doh1304
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,319

But it won’t be that bad – for them. An investment advisor (who is no longer employed with J.P.M.)  once told me what I already knew: “J.P.M has 20% of the world’s assets. If they buy a stock it will go up, if they sell a stock it will go down. They buy a stock at $80. It goes up to $90. All the little people buy at $90, and all the pension funds – they are required to, it’s called “due diligence”: ‘Amalgamated Crap is up $10, why aren’t you buying it?’  Then J.P.M. sells at $90, and the price goes down to $75. Mom and Pop and Pension funds sell, and J.P.M. buys it right back – at $75. Get it?”

This time they’re keeping the scam up for years longer than usual because the Fed has been printing money to keep it going. Once it stops, or once all the stock buybacks stop being profitable, or some other reason, then it will all crash back to something like the real value – a Dow of say, what was the 1980 Dow (850) adjusted for inflation – 2000?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Total Posts: 69

It reminds me of fantasy football.  If it goes up and down randomly – due to rumors and fads, as far as I can tell –  isn’t it all kinda imaginary?  Yet somehow, the profits and losses are real?

I must be a financial idiot – but I just don’t get it.

Mr. Mickeys Mom

This game has been going on for so long, I think we shall all be reminded of it soon. Here’s one of the best explanations of bringing the country to its knees with what is created out of thin air…

Punxsutawney
      • Total Posts: 1,846

Maybe forced into it by the PPT (Plunge Protection Team) as punishment.

In America, “Liberty” means “Free to Die in Service of Capital” - Amfortas the hippie.

Most of today’s elites have the moral and social reasoning capacities of spoiled toddlers.

“People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage...but the privileged also feel that their privileges, however egregious they may seem to others, are a solemn, basic, God-right. The sensitivity of the poor to injustice is a trivial thing c

Mr. Mickeys Mom

… something we are told to do, eh?

I actually moved money into a FDIC backed savings account, which is the only reason to have online banking. I’ll bet everyone’s 401-k is looking good, right?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.