Facebook: December 2020 Coordinated Inauthentic Behavior Report

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Facebook: December 2020 Coordinated Inauthentic Behavior Report

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,241

I think it’s time for a censorship forum. I saw this via the Kyiv Post at https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/facebook-removes-accounts-associated-with-poroshenko-and-his-party.html .

In an effort to combat internet propaganda, Facebook reported removing 40 accounts and nearly 50 pages and groups associated with ex-Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko on both Facebook and Instagram.

In total, the company removed 1,957 Facebook accounts and 707 Instagram accounts, as well as nearly 900 pages and groups worldwide as a part of its sweeping effort to fight against campaigns that seek to manipulate public debate across their apps.

As explained in a report published on Jan. 13, almost 100 accounts and over 130 pages and groups that originated in Ukraine were deleted from Facebook’s platforms in December for Coordinated Inauthentic Behavior (CIB).

Over a third of those accounts, pages, and groups were affiliated with Poroshenko, who served from 2014 until 2019, when President Volodymyr Zelensky defeated him by a landslide.

This is surprising and troubling. Poroshenko is the pro-US President installed after the Ukrainian revolution led by the Obama administration with Biden as the frontman.

The report, at https://about.fb.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/December-2020-CIB-Report.pdf , is even more troubling. Facebook describes it and their goal at https://about.fb.com/news/tag/coordinated-inauthentic-behavior/ .

Coordinated Inauthentic Behavior
      We’re constantly working to find and stop coordinated campaigns that seek to manipulate public debate across our apps. And we share our findings about coordinated inauthentic behavior we detect and remove from our platforms.

It’s a scary read, including

We’re making progress rooting out this abuse – but as we’ve said before, it’s an ongoing effort. We’re committed to improving to continually stay ahead. This means building better technology, hiring more people and working closely with law enforcement, security experts and other companies.

● Total number of Facebook accounts removed: 1,957
      ● Total number of Instagram accounts removed: 707
      ● Total number of Pages removed: 156

From this, while they may be a private company, they’re working with governments to determine what to censor.

It’s another one of those stories I only read in international news, and in this case, only because Ukrainian news is reporting the censorship of their ex-President by a US corporation.

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,518

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/534045-ocasio-cortez-congress-looking-into-ways-to-rein-in-disinformation

“And we’re going to have to figure out how we rein in our media environment so that you can’t just spew disinformation and misinformation. It’s one thing to have differing opinions, but it’s another thing entirely to just say things that are false.”

And just WHO decides that, my dear?  And, oh, is campaign rhetoric included or excluded?  Is saying one thing and then voting in the opposite way a lie?  Misinformation?  Disinformation?  How about pretty much everything Biden/Vichy Dem say these days?  Is there a special fucking dispensation?

And how about misinformation by omission?  There’s a fucking LOT of that in the $MSM.  And how will Wikileaks be treated?  Hillary’s emails?  Does the GOP get to censor the Dems, and the Dems censor the GOP?  Will we be able to see what has been removed?

Not a good road to go down.  Seems sort of fascist, IMO.    Also, what a load of bullshit.  Does AOC believe we will believe everything she says now?  She is just another politician, that’s all.

Earthartist
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,156

How far and fast has aoc show who she really is

Earthartist

xyzse
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,724

A shame, I still do not mind having contributed to her campaign this recent election, but this is quite disappointing.

MizzGrizz
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,901

..because I never had any faith in her to begin with.

Elizabeth Warren,whom I initially admired and embraced,taught me that one can be co-opted,and Carter and Obama taught me to beware a political figure who comes out of nowhere.Therefore I was skeptical of her from in front,though I take no pleasure in knowing I was right.

Earthartist
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,156

Same missgrizz.   Mine came while running a huge fundraiser for clinton and having my work crew pulled aside and warned not to get on the campaign bus with Bill or meet him at a bar. Basically that everything we had heard about him was true. I refused to ever do anything for the campaign again, because I then knew all the other stuff I thought was true!

Earthartist

snot
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,117

at https://about.fb.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/December-2020-CIB-Report.pdf , does not seem to be there now.

Destruction is easy; creation is hard, but more interesting.

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,241
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.