Free Julian Assange Call-In to DOJ – Jan 11 2022

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Free Julian Assange Call-In to DOJ – Jan 11 2022

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Passionate Progressive
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,138

Free Julian Assange!

Tackling Torture at the Top, a committee of Women Against Military Madness, a non-profit

organization founded nearly 40 years ago, is sponsoring a call-in to Attorney General Merrick Garland to urge the Department of Justice to drop all charges and free Julian Assange.

The date of the call-in is Tuesday January 11, 2022.

The DOJ does not provide an option to speak with a live person. It does have a comment line where you can leave a recorded message. That number is 1-202-514-2000. You can press 9 at any time to skipover the menu of options.

Below is a list of suggested comments. You may also have your own reasons to free Julian. Please speak from your heart in your call:

• Free Julian Assange. He has committed no crime. He has done a public service.
      • Julian Assange is charged under the Espionage Act. He is not a spy. He provided information of public interest to the whole world, not a foreign adversary.
      • The prosecution of Julian Assange is a threat to press freedom everywhere. He has won

journalistic awards including the Martha Gellhorn Prize. His cause is supported by press

freedom organizations around the world including Reporters Without Borders, PEN

International, and the Committee to Protect Journalists.

• The Obama Administration recognized the threat to press freedom and declined to prosecute

Assange. Obama said prosecution would present the government with a “NY Times problem”.

Instead of following Obama’s lead, the Biden administration has taken up the mantle of former-

President Trump.

• The wrong party is on trial. Julian Assange exposed U.S. war crimes and torture. It’s obvious to

many that the party guilty of those crimes is vindictively pursuing him.

• The case against Julian Assange has collapsed. A key Icelandic witness has recanted his

testimony that Assange instructed him to hack into government computers. Prosecutorial

conduct has been egregious. The CIA spied on Assange, including meetings with his doctors

and lawyers. In 2017, the CIA plotted to kidnap or assassinate him.

• The prosecution of Julian Assange diminishes the stature of the United States. While Secretary

of State Antony Blinken proselytizes about U.S. support for independent journalism, it is

simultaneously seeking to imprison the most high profile journalist of the 21st century for 175

years.

• Julian Assange did not “put lives at risk”. A 2013 Pentagon study could not identify a single

instance of anyone killed as a result of being named in the WikiLeaks trove.

• Julian Assange wanted the documents published responsibly. He worked with traditional news

outlets to redact the documents and save lives. It was only when two Guardian journalists,

Luke Harding and David Leigh, recklessly published an encryption code that unredacted

documents spilled into the public realm.

• An investigation by United Nations Special Rapporteur Nils Melzer found the entire period of

Assange’s detention, including that spent in the Ecuadorian Embassy, to be arbitrary. He also

called his treatment at the hands of the State parties responsible for his detention “a public

mobbing”.

• Over the course of more than ten years of arbitrary detention, Julian has suffered greatly. His

physical and mental health have deteriorated to the point that he has trouble concentrating and

cannot properly participate in his own defense. He suffered a small stroke on October 27

during a remote court hearing. His continued imprisonment is a threat to his very life.

• Julian Assange is not an American citizen, nor was he on American soil when the alleged crimes were committed. He should not be subject to American laws like the Espionage Act.

If you belong to an organization that would like to be a co-sponsor of this effort, please contact Mike Madden at <mike@mudpuppies.net>

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....Martin Luther King '63

It takes all the technical proficiency our system can provide to make up for the woeful lack of popular support and political savvy of most of the regimes that the West has thus far sought to prop up.........Bernard Fall

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 7,645

Mr & Mrs America have trouble with short-term memory, so mark the date and circulate I will!

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

Scott Crowder
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 886

I’d think this a tasteless joke if I didn’t know you guys are serious about making this completely empty “feel good” gesture that will accomplish nothing.

It’s like activistganda

"The possessions of the rich are stolen property." Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
      “The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first, the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it.” Edward Dowling
      "The poverty of our century is unlike that of any other. It is not, as poverty was before, the result of natural scarcity, but of a set of priorities imposed upon the rest of the world by the rich." John Berger

snot
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,494

associated with this effort?  I find a site for Women Against Military Madness, and there’s a calendar on it, but this event is not shown on the calendar and I find no mention of it on the site.

I’d like to check the details out further and possibly share info about this initiative elsewhere.

Destruction is easy; creation is hard, but more interesting.

Passionate Progressive
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 5,138

If you belong to an organization that would like to be a co-sponsor of this effort, please contact Mike Madden at <mike@mudpuppies.net>

This was passed to me through what I consider reliable sources with connections to Veterans for Peace,  of which Mike Madden is a member but not a board member, as well as other sources.  The Veterans for Peace webpage does not have this listed as yet – but in some ways, I have found that organization somewhat cumbersome.

I’m hoping momentum will grow about the initiative and more will be revealed.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....Martin Luther King '63

It takes all the technical proficiency our system can provide to make up for the woeful lack of popular support and political savvy of most of the regimes that the West has thus far sought to prop up.........Bernard Fall

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.