From 1968 to 2018: Angela Davis on Freedom Struggles Then and Now, and the Movements of the Future

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | From 1968 to 2018: Angela Davis on Freedom Struggles Then and Now, and the Movements of the Future

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      sonofspy777
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,429

AMY GOODMAN: You go back 50 years. You look at 1968. And you look at today. How does it compare, from the protests at San Francisco State and Columbia University, the protests in Paris, in France, the level of organizing—of course, that year, the assassination of both Dr. King and Robert Kennedy—but the level of organizing that took place then and what’s happening right now? Does this give you hope?
      ANGELA DAVIS: Absolutely. Absolutely. And I think what gives me hope is the extent to which young organizers have been able to build on the work of those who came before them. And I am so impressed by young organizers and Dream Defenders, Black Lives Matter, Black Youth Project 100, SURJ.

You know, white people are really beginning to change significantly. I mean, I’m remembering that—you know, it used to be that we assumed racism was just about attitude. Right? And so the only way you can deal with a racist is to say, “Oh, you should go to an unlearning racism workshop.” You remember—I mean, this is what people who made these public—these racist statements publicly were then asked to atone and to learn. And there was no sense of the extent to which racism is so deeply embedded in the structures and the institutions of this society. And I think now there is a popular understanding of the fact that you can’t just assume that by finding Jason Van Dyke guilty of the murder of Laquan McDonald that that’s going to change the situation. The Chicago Police Department will continue to be as racist as it was before. And so this notion of abolition has really, really taken hold.

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/12/24/from_1968_to_2018_angela_davis

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
      ~Samuel Clemens

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.