• New Registration

    To become a member of JackpineRadicals please see post https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/new-members/

Home JackpineRadical Rooms JPR Reading Room How unaccompanied youth become exploited workers in the U.S.

  • Judi Lynn (7983 posts)
    Profile photo of Judi Lynn Donor

    How unaccompanied youth become exploited workers in the U.S.

    FRIDAY, MAR 17, 2017 06:29 PM CDT
    How unaccompanied youth become exploited workers in the U.S.
    Undocumented immigrant youths face horrific work conditions to support their families


    The Trump administration has released a series of executive orders targeting immigration at the U.S. southern border. Central American families and children traveling alone represent nearly half of all unauthorized migrants apprehended by Customs and Border Protection. The criminalization of immigrants at the U.S. southern border disproportionately affects Central American children and youth. The Conversation

    Nearly 153,000 unaccompanied Mexican and Central American children have been apprehended at the U.S. southern border since 2014. Of those detained by Customs and Border Protection and processed by the Office of Refugee Resettlement, 60 percent have been reunited with a sponsor, typically a parent. The other 40 percent are placed with a nonparent sponsor.

    With the guidance of a parent or guardian, these youths might obtain financial, legal, health and social support. Others who enter without detection and remain unaccompanied when they arrive in the U.S. are financially independent and may never gain access to formal resettlement services. Recent orders by the Trump administration that prioritize unaccompanied child migrants for deportation heighten the vulnerability of immigrant children in the U.S.

    Since 2012, I have conducted in-depth observations and interviews with undocumented immigrant youth who arrived in Los Angeles, California as unaccompanied minors and have remained without a parent throughout their settlement in the U.S. I use pseudonyms for confidentiality as research participants are migrant youth living and working in the U.S. without authorization.


    7wo7rees, leveymg, aspirant and 1 otherFanBoy like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.