Home Main Forums General Discussion How woman stole $105,000 from FL charter school in just a year.

• madfloridian (1518 posts)
    Profile photo of madfloridian Donor

How woman stole $105,000 from FL charter school in just a year.

Well, maybe a little over a year.   But she was hired in June 2015, and left September 2016.  She had to have worked hard to set it up as she did.   Makes me wonder if she’s done similar stuff before.  I also wonder if they checked her out before hiring.

Former school employee reportedly stole more than $100K from Lakeland charter school

A former McKeel Academy administrator has been arrested on charges that she reportedly stole more than $100,000 from the Lakeland charter school.

Ginger Collins, 45, of Lakeland has been charged with one count each of Grand Theft, Obtain Property by Fraud, Fraudulent Use of Credit Card, Money Launder Transaction, and three counts of Criminal Use of Personal Identification.

Collins was hired in June 2015 as the Assistant Director for Seth McKeel Academy until she resigned on September 16, 2016 when she was confronted by the Director of the Schools of McKeel Academy and Assistant Director of Operations about the embezzlement. The Polk County Sheriff’s Office was contacted to investigate the situation. 

The Polk County Sheriff says that Collins went to great lengths to steal from the school.

Collins reportedly created three separate and fake companies and charged the school’s credit cards through mobile payment processing services. The funds were then deposited into separate bank accounts and then deposited into her personal account. 

More about McKeel Charter Schools:

(The links are not available now, but I posted several times about this issue.  From my notes and previous posts elsewhere.)

FL charter school gets praise and high ranking..yet sent 12.5% of students back to public schools.

So there you have it…one set of schools getting taxpayer money gets to pick and choose their students, the traditional public schools don’t get that luxury. If schools get public money, they should keep the students and work with them.

…School Board member Frank O’Reilly wants district official to start tracking how many students are transferred from charter schools to public schools as a result of their grades, social economic status or behavioral issues. During a work session this morning, O’Reilly read a letter sent by Harold Maready, superintendent of McKeel charter schools, to a parent about their third grader who flunked the FCAT.

“Your child does not meet the criteria to be a McKeel student,” O’Reilly read.

If public schools were to reject students based on their academic performance, then they could be A schools, too, O’Reilly said.

“We must take every child that comes through that door whether we like it or not,” O’Reilly said. ‘‘That is a public school paid by taxpayers’ dollars, and I like to remind Mr. Maready of that.”

A few days later Maready answered O’Reilly:

Maready Defends McKeel’s Policies

Maready acknowledges students are dismissed for failing the test.

“If we didn’t have a waiting list, we would keep them,” he said.

McKeel has a waiting list of 4,500 students for 2,500 slots, Maready said.

Students who don’t meet McKeel’s expectations are transferred to schools within their home districts.

“We are not equipped to serve all kids,” Maready said. “Do you keep a child who is failing in your school when you’ve tried remediation? You look at that and you try to do what’s best for the kids. We have limited resources.”

Maready did not seem to have the best interests of the students.  Fortunately he is no longer with the charter school group.

Not equipped to serve all kids? Why the hell not? They get taxpayer money, but they only have to serve whom they choose.

It’s disturbing to think that they get an award for being a top school when there are so many good public schools around…..schools that do not have the luxury of sending underperforming students anywhere else.

Pastiche, historylovr, goodgirl and 7 others7wo7rees, Arctic Dave, Lynetta, Downwinder, PADemD, bbgrunt, Bearian like this
    If a person is required to be loyal to a political party and not question their stands on issues, then any semblance of real truth is lost. https://twitter.com/madfloridian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• northernsouthern (987 posts)
    Profile photo of northernsouthern Banned

1. The second part of the story is even bigger I think.

The sending 12.5% back should not be allowed. I love their excuse of we tried everything else, other people want in. Yeah exactly. Perhaps charter schools should only be allowed to take in failing students instead.

I love everything, this is my signature line by choice it is not censored in any way.

2. Agreed. Worse, they brag about high scores when they don't keep low scorers.

And they don’t see anything wrong with that.

If a person is required to be loyal to a political party and not question their stands on issues, then any semblance of real truth is lost. https://twitter.com/madfloridian

3. She was principal at 2 other schools. Sheriff checking for fraud there.

http://wfla.com/2017/01/11/former-employee-accused-of-stealing-over-100000-from-lakeland-charter-school/

When the reporter tried to ask McKeel charter rep who was doing the oversight, they only emailed glad it was over.   Where WAS the oversight?