Ilhan Omar Warns Progressives Will Revolt If Dems ‘Poison’ Relief Bill by Curbing Eligibility for $1,400 Checks

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Ilhan Omar Warns Progressives Will Revolt If Dems ‘Poison’ Relief Bill by Curbing Eligibility for $1,400 Checks

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 19,954

Congresswoman Ilhan Omar of Minnesota warned Sunday that conservative Democrats’ ongoing effort to further restrict eligibility for the new round of $1,400 direct payments risks shedding progressive support for a final coronavirus relief package—votes that the party, clinging to narrow majorities in the House and Senate, can’t afford to lose.

“Cutting the income cap will poison this bill,” tweeted Omar (D-Minn.), the whip for the nearly 100-member Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC). “It already lacks Republicans support and will lose progressive support. Democrats with a slim majority in the Congress can’t pass this bill without progressives and must resist suggestions that will ultimately tank this relief bill.”

“Cutting the income cap will poison this bill. It already lacks Republicans support and will lose progressive support.”
      —Rep. Ilhan OmarOmar was referring to ongoing talks among Senate Democrats over whether to lower the annual income cutoff for the new round of relief checks with the stated goal of ensuring the payments are more closely “targeted” to those in need. According to the Washington Post, top Democrats are currently weighing a plan under which only individuals earning $50,000 a year or less, heads of household earning $75,000 or less, and married couples earning a combined $100,000 or less would be eligible for full $1,400 payments.

A growing chorus of progressive lawmakers is strongly pushing back against that proposed eligibility framework, which could leave millions of struggling middle-class people with smaller checks or no payments at all.

“There are some Dems who want to lower the income eligibility for direct payments from $75,000 to $50,000 for individuals, and $150,000 to $100,000 for couples. In other words, working-class people who got checks from Trump would not get them from Biden. Brilliant!” Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)—who along with Omar and others has been pushing for recurring relief payments for nearly a year—tweeted sardonically on Saturday night.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), a CPC member, echoed the Vermont senator. “It would be outrageous if we ran on giving more relief and ended up doing the opposite,” said Ocasio-Cortez. “It’s sad that this is even an argument in the Dem party. Covid relief is disaster relief, and it’s urgent.”

To pass a coronavirus relief package through the reconciliation process without Republican support, the Senate Democratic caucus cannot afford a single defection. House Democrats, meanwhile, hold just a 10-seat majority, meaning that even a relatively small exodus of CPC members could imperil the coronavirus relief package—a state of affairs that potentially gives the chamber’s progressive contingent significant leverage over the ongoing negotiations.

NBC News reported late last week that the eligibility framework remains a “live ball,” with conservative and progressive members of the Democratic caucus publicly and privately battling over who should receive the new round of payments. President Joe Biden has said he is open to lowering the income cutoff for the checks, and discussed the possibility of narrowing eligibility with Sens. Chris Coons (D-Del.) and Tom Carper (D-Del.) at the White House last week.

Progressive activists and commentators have argued that in addition to being morally unjustifiable amid such a far-reaching economic collapse, limiting eligibility for the $1,400 payments would be politically “suicidal” and represent yet another retreat from the original campaign-trail promise of $2,000 relief checks that helped Democrats take control of the Senate.

“Let’s be really, really clear. Doing this will cost Democrats control of the Congress in 2022 and the White House in 2024,” Robert Cruickshank, campaign director at advocacy group Demand Progress, said last week. “There is nobody out there in America aside from a few wonks who want to limit these checks. It is a colossally bad idea.”

Link to original article with links here.  Reprinted in full with permission from the publisher.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

For the record, I do not believe Omar. I will not believe that progressive Democrats will actually vote against any relief bill that comes from the Senate, even if it doesn’t include $1400 checks. If it survives the Senate, then my point is moot. If it doesn’t, well, we shall see.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

You can jail a revolutionary, but you can't jail the revolution.--Fred Hampton

salemcourt
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,630

is subject to impeachment.

closeupready
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,173

They get out there in public on talk shows and talk up how progressive they are, but do NOTHING.

Joe Biden is old and tired. He’s not going to fight for anything now. He won the ultimate race, and is now going to just sit back and relax. Kamala will “defer” to Joe. Nancy Pelosi will do her little drama bit, and then reach across the aisle in a show of bipartisanship and means test the checks, impose a drug test, make the checks taxable, and agree to another cut of 20%, because ‘because’.

The opinions and personal views expressed herein are solely those of the author, and should never be taken seriously.

jwirr
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,842

That young woman comes from my state and I am damned proud of her. Although I read an article that said persons on SSDI and SSI automatically qualified for the first two checks that did not make one bit of difference for me. I am waiting to see if I get this one. Probably not. Worst run relief programs I have ever seen.

jwirr

Passionate Progressive
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,022

Lots of grandstanding when there’s no line in the sand.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....Martin Luther King '63

Ohio Barbarian

She let AOC take all the heat from that one.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,827

will vote against it.  Clever!!!!  More theater, and, IMO, looks like they will just fuck around until someone tells Biden to say that the pandemic is over. I would love to bewrong.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

Ohio Barbarian

The thing is, the only time Obama proved me wrong in a good way was with the Iran deal, and I expect even less from Joe Biden and this Democratic Party. I have no faith in them at all. None.

David the Gnome
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,854

I don’t know what the final legislation will be, but they would be stupid to kill it.  It is the same bull shit as ever – half a loaf is better than no loaf right?  Then they negotiate… a quarter loaf, a tenth… a slice.  Finally you get to the crumbs.  A few for most of us…

Where does the rest go?  Well, we know the answer to that.  The wealthy, the corporate.

It will probably remain 1400 so they can say Biden did better than Trump.  Yet it is still crumbs.  How much was almost immediately thrown at wall street as soon as this whole thing started?

Still bull shit.  1400 will pay the rent for some people, for a month.  3k per year per child will help people with children – and further infuriate those who get nothing because they have no children.

Targeted relief?  That… is a joke.  SSI pays less than 10k per year.  SSDI pays maybe 14 on average.  Where is the expansion on that?  Where are the tax cuts for those earning 30-60k per year?

Infrastructure?  Healthcare?

What is needed is a basic necessities bill that applies to everyone.  Food, water, shelter.  Let us start there… or so it should be.

Progressives may one day revolt, but it will not be those in Congress right now.  It will be the overwhelming majority of the population – which is considerably more progressive than these so called progressives.

Give it a few months.  Stimulus passes, checks run out….

Hunger gets worse then.

MackMarkstein
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 167

If that new buzzword comes from The Government or the MSM (which is basically the Government), are they trying not to say “means testing?” If that’s the case, I don’t blame them for trying not to say “means testing”, since the Public has probably smartened up a bit during the last few decades about the evil behind that phrase. In general it’s been a rationale or excuse to deny people some of their defined benefits and taxpayer public Treasury money.

Cold Mountain Trail
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 12,044

It seems pretty obvious that a bill that gives something to everyone is easier to administer (& thus money-saving) than one that ‘targets’ relief with ‘means testing’ (and thus costs more to administer & will *still* leave people that really need the $ behind & give to those who arent so needy).

Just cut the checks now and let those who got ‘too much’ pay it back in income tax in april.  Maybe by that time IRS will be working better this year than it did last year.

3fingerbrown
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,361

Democrats already poisoned it. Remember $2k on day one? Then 1400? Now 1400, for some, maybe, in March or April if ever. All I know is I got $1800 total from Trump within a week both times, after they said I would.  Like Bernie said if they don’t come through, the democrats will face the reality that Trump republicans got the American people more money than the “workers” party democrats!

All governments lie to their citizen's, but only Americans believe theirs.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.