Jill Stein: John Bolton loved the Iraq War. Now he apparently wants 5,000 US troops in Colombia.

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Jill Stein: John Bolton loved the Iraq War. Now he apparently wants 5,000 US troops in Colombia.

• Author

Charles
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 964
    @charles

Hint to Maduro? ‘5,000 Troops to Colombia,’ Reads Bolton Notepad

By Margaret Talev  –  January 28, 2019, 7:21 PM EST

Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro may wonder whether President Donald Trump is trying to rattle him.

On Monday, White House National Security Adviser John Bolton entered a press briefing on new Venezuela sanctions with a yellow legal pad, accidentally — or not — turned to face gathered reporters and photographers. On the pad appeared a hand-written note: “Afghanistan –> welcome the talks. 5,000 troops to Colombia.”….

Read more:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-29/hint-to-maduro-5-000-troops-to-colombia-reads-bolton-notepad

ThouArtThat
    • Total Posts: 999
    @thouartthat

Venezuela is all about appropriating the oil fields for western oil companies.

The ouster of Maduro sets the stage for Exxon, Shell and Halliburton to “Iraqify” a sovereign South American country.

Rest assured that 5,000 US troops is but a beachhead for the corporate take over.

In situations like these it best to reflect on the words of Marine Corp General Smedley Butler.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer; a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902–1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

"They must find it difficult ... Those who have taken authority as the truth,
    Rather than truth as the authority."
    - Gerald Massey

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
    - Jiddu Krishnamurti

“Wisdom tells me I am nothing.  Love tells me I am everything. And between the two my life flows."
    - Nisargadatta Maharaj

Ohio Barbarian
    • Total Posts: 5,470
    @ohiobarbarian

There are already an undisclosed number of American troops, including Navy SEALs and other special operations troops, in Colombia, ostensibly to fight the War on Drugs, remember that? I presume these would be more regular Army troops.

When the Marines start leaving Camp Lejeaune in North Carolina or Pendleton in California, that will be the sign.

We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

With Bernie Sanders, we have the receipts. --Nina Turner

David the Gnome
    • Total Posts: 1,056
    @davidthegnome

What justification will they use?  That Maduro is a cruel, vicious dictator?  How many of those are we allied with?  That the populace is suffering great poverty and hunger?  So, destabilizing their government and blowing up thousands of civilians (along with military assets, etc.) Is going to help?

I dont think WMDs will work as an excuse this time.  So, maybe harboring international terrorists (we definitely don’t harbor bad people and war criminals here!  Oh wait…), or violation of some obscure treaty that we have long since violated.

Madness.  Stupidity.  Yet it looks like the EU is supportive of this, as well.  Have all the leaders of the western world lost their minds?

We are already in a tense situation with Russia, China, Iran – we are still in Afghanistan and Yemen – and Syria – and Iraq.

I know Bolton is a war mongering piece of s h I t – but I would hope for better from others.

David the Gnome
    • Total Posts: 1,056
    @davidthegnome

Come to think of it… doesnt Venezuela have a military over 100 thousand strong?  Granted, they dont have aircraft carriers or nukes, but their allies – Russia and China do.  Seems Turkey is siding with them as well.

The Russian and Chinese militaries may not get directly involved, but I’d be willing to bet there will be weaponry and funds supplied- if they have not already been.  Also, I dont know if they are still there – but didnt the Russians have some nuclear bombers in the area?

Assuming that this is an active invasion plan and not a warning of some sort to Maduro…

We do not have the resources to sustain such a thing.  We do not have the right to interfere.  A military conflict would only increase the suffering.  Assuming even our European allies supported this – it would generate massive civil unrest there as well as here in the US.

Maybe I am missing something here – but another war for oil…. now?  Seems like an insanely bad idea.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.