Lauren Boebert Faces $5,000 Fine after Setting off Capitol Metal Detector: Report

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Lauren Boebert Faces $5,000 Fine after Setting off Capitol Metal Detector: Report

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Cold Mountain Trail
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 12,040

Indoor portions of National Mall closed due to COVID-19
      Russia police violence under review after 3,300 protesters held: monitor
      Lauren Boebert Faces $5,000 Fine after Setting off Capitol Metal Detector: Report

Pro-gun Republican lawmaker Lauren Boebert reportedly set off a metal detector and refused to comply with US Capitol Police Thursday, leaving her facing a possible $5,000 fine.

The newly elected Colorado congresswoman, an ardent support of former President Donald Trump who campaigned on a conservative platform that included fierce opposition to gun control, was said to have ignored a new requirement for representatives and senators to pass through a scanner inside the Capitol building.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced earlier this month that lawmakers would be fined if they refused to go through metal detectors to enter the House chamber after an angry mob of extremists supporting Trump’s false claims that the presidential election was “stolen” stormed the building.

A first offense will result in $5,000 deducted from a lawmaker’s Congressional pay, while a second offense comes with a $10,000 fine.

Several GOP lawmakers have been accused of flouting the new rules, including Boebert.  GOP Representatives Louie Gohmert and Van Taylor from Texas, Steve Stivers from Ohio, Debbie Lesko from Arizona and Larry Bucshon from Indiana were among those who refused to comply with the screening or vocally protested its implementation, NBC News reported.

Although members of Congress and aides are legally allowed to carry weapons on Capitol grounds, House rules prohibit them being taken inside the chamber.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/lauren-boebert-faces-245000-fine-after-setting-off-capitol-metal-detector-report/ar-BB1cZKT7

‘Can’t Stop Me’: GOP Lawmakers Refuse to Pass Capitol Metal Detectors After Pro-Trump Riot

A host of Republican members of the U.S. House or Representatives on Tuesday evening angrily refused to go through metal detectors that had been installed outside the chamber as a security measure…

Gohmert said “You can’t stop me; I’m on my way to a vote” as he walked by Capitol Police, according to HuffPost. At least 10 other Republicans walked around the detectors…

Other Republicans who took particular issue with the security measure included Rep. Steve Womack (Ark.) and Rep. Markwayne Mullin (Okla.), who loudly protested “I was physically restrained” at Capitol Police following the screening, according to CNN. Rep. Rodney Davis (Ill.) told the outlet that the detectors represented “political correctness run amok.”

“The metal detector policy for the House floor is unnecessary, unconstitutional, and endangers members,” Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas), who took a “social media sabbatical” after most platforms banned Trump over fears he could incite further violence, said in a statement. “I did not comply tonight. I will not comply in the future.”

https://www.newsweek.com/cant-stop-me-gop-lawmakers-refuse-pass-capitol-metal-detectors-after-pro-trump-riot-1561058

incognito
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,574

“leaving her facing a possible $5,000 fine.”

I know the new rule says she will possibly be charge $5,000, but I won’t believe it until Boebert is whining about it on TV.

retired liberal
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,747

They forgot, if they ever knew, that they are suppose to be working for us, their constituents.
      They want metal detectors in schools and elsewhere for us, but they don’t think they need to follow the rules themselves.
      There is nothing unconstitutional about this. The medal detectors are for the protection of the rest of congress against the likes of the few that think guns are the answer for almost everything. Nobody except authorized law enforcement needs, or should be having any firearms in the Capitol building. If they insist on bringing them, they need to surrender their firearms at the entrance. The can pick them us when they leave. That way they can’t stock pile firearms in the building, to supply a future attempt at a coup, if nothing else.

We are an arrogant species, believing our fantasy based "facts" are better than the other person's fake facts.
      If you are wrong, it will be because you are not cynical enough.
      Both major political parties are special interest groups enabling each other for power and money, at the expense of the people they no longer properly serve…
      Always wear a proper mask when out and about. The life you save could be both yours and mine.

surrealAmerican
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 904

… that the fine is worth paying for the privilege of coming armed?

If a civilian showed up with a gun, they would, at the very least, not be allowed in. There’s even a chance they’d be imprisoned.

jwirr
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 1,842

History tells us that there were many fights between congress persons in the past so what happens if it turns into a gun fight on the floor over some vote they are working on. That is why they do not want guns in the Senate or the House. Makes sense.

jwirr

GZeusH
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,662

How much is that in paint chips?

Corporate America consists of totalitarian entities laser-focused on short-term greed.

doh1304
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,566

Diane Feinstein has a conceilled carry permit since the Moscone murder. Is she just getting a pass at the metal detector or is she complying?

Cold Mountain Trail
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 12,040

Feinstein, who has taken the lead on efforts to renew a federal assault weapons ban, acknowledged during a hearing in 1995 of previously having a concealed weapon permit….In 1995 a hearing on terrorism after the Oklahoma City bombing, Feinstein recounted how, in the 1970s, she was the target of the New World Liberation Front which first attempted to blow up her home. After the bomb failed to detonate, Feinstein explained, she decided to arm herself.

“Later the same group shot out all the windows of my home and I know the sense of helplessness that people feel. I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms,” Feinstein said in the 1995 hearing…

Feinstein got rid of the permit once the New World Liberation Front was no longer a threat to her…

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/273989-feinstein-doesnt-have-concealed-carry-permit-anymore

Satan
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 4,529

A wackjob terrorist sympathizer like Boebert running around the Capitol with guns is bad enough, but somebody like DiFi who is clearly not playing with a full deck at this point, could be arguably even more frightening.

Now having said that, I don’t have any problem with her having a gun in her home at the time she did, given the credible threat on her life at the time. And applaud her for getting the training to know how to use it properly. But even then, I wouldn’t have wanted her to bring it to work with her.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,529

….but in my Most Unholy opinion, being an admitted member of a terrorist death cult which is dedicated to violently overthrowing the US government should exclude you from holding any job in said government.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

B Calm
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,063

to get inside the distribution center.  They would had fired an employee on the spot if they tried to bring in a gun on company property.

GloriaMundi
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 295

Why is she allowed on the floor of the House at all? If she won’t follow the rules, she doesn’t get to play. All the more important, since this flouter-of-the-rules also aided and abetted an attempted insurrection! Next, pass the bill that expels her and other participants from Congress altogether.

Consequences. It’s what’s for breakfast.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.