Let's choose a positive path since the
Democratic Party decided on Saturday that liberal and progressive Democrats no longer need to apply to help rebuild the party. The paradigm had been shifting before Bernie Sanders ran in the primary. It is no longer about right/left, conservative/progressive, red team vs blue team. It is no longer about party or identity politics. It is about us, and it’s about the people of the country. It’s about how much we respect, and care for one another, and how we can help one another.
After reading Ralph Nader’s book, Unstoppable, last year, I believe this is the way we move forward. We need to choose to embrace our counterparts on the right, and work together to show the parties and the oligarchs that there are more of us than them. We want our voices heard. As a large group, we must stand up to the corporatists, and start the process to take our country back. These unique alliances are how we can work together to force change. It doesn’t matter how we label ourselves now. We can be Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Third Party, conservatives, progressives, liberals, libertarians, socialists, capitalists or anarchists. Whatever label you choose. I will always be a die hard liberal, and I will no longer have any party affiliation. We must move on from complacency, and choose a path that will be the most effective in letting our government and our representatives know that we want a government for the people again. Do not let them further divide us. We need each other now more than ever.
Unstoppable has many important messages that are to numerous to include in this OP. There is one chapter that I would like to concentrate on for now, which is Chapter 4, Twenty-Five Proposed Redirections and Reforms Though Convergent Action. We can have active discussion on the 25 suggestions that Ralph Nader puts forward.
Here are the 25 suggestions to work with our family, friends and neighbors of all stripes to help foster change on the local, state and federal levels. We could begin in our own community, and build out from there. We can take each suggestion in detail, and determine the best method to carry out the suggestion.
- Require the Department of Defense budget be audited annually, and disclose all government budgets. Secrecy destroys accountability.
- Establish rigorous procedures to evaluate the claims of businesses looking for a government handout, which would end most corporate welfare and bailouts.
- Promote efficiency in government contracting and government spending.
- Adjust the minimum wage to inflation.
- Introduce specific forms of taxation reform as well as push to gain uncollected taxes.
- Break up the Too Big To Fail banks.
- Expand contributions to charity, using them to increase jobs and drawing on available dead money.
- Allow taxpayers the standing to sue, especially immunized governments and corporations.
- Further direct democracy–initiative, referendum, and recall for starters.
- Push community self-reliance.
- Clear away obstacles to a competitive electoral process.
- Defend and extend civil liberties.
- Enhance civic skills and experience for students.
- End unconstitutional wars and enforce Article 1, section 8, of the Constitution, which includes the exclusive congressional authority to declare war.
- Revise trade agreements to protect US sovereignty, and resume full congressional deliberations, ending fast track.
- Protect children from commercialism and its physical and mental exploitation and harm.
- End corporate personhood.
- Control more of the commons that we already own.
- Get tough on corporate crime, providing penalties and enforcement budgets.
- Ramp up investor power by strengthening investor-protection laws and by creating a penny brigade to pay for an investor watchdog agency.
- Oppose the patenting of life forms, including human genes.
- End the ineffective war on drugs.
- Push for environmentalism.
- Reform health care.
- Create convergent institutions.
I know this is a great deal of information to digest but it’s a start. We could come up with ideas for each of his suggestions that could be promoted, and begin to develop ways to get active within existing and new organizations with the left/right alliance in mind.
We could continue future discussions based on other aspects of this amazing book.
Thank you for listening.Two way street, FanBoy, Pastiche and 8 othersMom Cat, Eggar, sonofspy777, jwirr, virgdem, NV Wino, OzoneTom, Land of Enchantment like thisPresident Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.