Lyle Mays: 1953-2020

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Latest Breaking News | Lyle Mays: 1953-2020

• Author

Snort McDork
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 2,889
    @snortmcdork

This makes me feel very sad. Lyle was a unique artist. This is shocking news to me. Him and Pat created some of the most unique tunes. I have had the pleasure to see the Pat Metheny Group 4 times live. He will be missed.

https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2020-02-12/lyle-mays-pat-metheny-group-dead

Lyle Mays, a jazz keyboardist whose work, chiefly with the Pat Metheny Group, won nearly a dozen Grammy Awards, has died at his home in Los Angeles.

Mays, who died Monday at age 66, had a “long battle with a recurring illness,” Pat Metheny said on his website.

“Lyle was one of the greatest musicians I have ever known,” Metheny wrote. “Across more than 30 years, every moment we shared in music was special. From the first notes we played together, we had an immediate bond. His broad intelligence and musical wisdom informed every aspect of who he was in every way. I will miss him with all my heart.”

I'm Snort McDork and I approved this message.

"I like birdy num-nums"

Ohio Barbarian
    • Total Posts: 9,776
    @ohiobarbarian

We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

With Bernie Sanders, we have the receipts. --Nina Turner

N2Doc
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 5,519
    @n2doc

NMan that sucks. Saw some of the most spiritually uplifting shows ever by the PMG back in the 80’s. Pure joy.

Snort McDork
    Donor
    @snortmcdork

The best show I saw of the Pat Metheny Group was in Seattle back in 97. He played for damn near 3 hours. Not sure what else to say. Simply the best music for me.

"I like birdy num-nums"

RufusTFirefly
    • Total Posts: 1,597
    @rufustfirefly

Years ago when I was working in video production, we traditionally used “Phase Dance” as our soundtrack at the end of each day when we were striking the set. It was the keyboard magic of Lyle Mays that held that cut together. RIP.

Snort McDork
    Donor
    @snortmcdork

Without a doubt. Thanks Rufus.

I wonder if Pat will try and find someone to replace Lyle. Though he is irreplaceable IMO.

"I like birdy num-nums"

kelly
    • Total Posts: 8
    @kelly

that Oberheim 8 voice (iirc) was a beautiful sight. I think he was on the cover of one the first Keyboard magazines I bought.

RIP Mr Mays!

Enthusiast
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 3,360
    @enthusiast

Sorry to hear of this. Thank you, Snort.

I would like to remind you that U.S. health insurance companies do not contribute anything to health care. They are only a PARASITIC middle man receiving an undeserved cut of "FREE MONEY".

Me

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.