Meet the “Gun Couple,” 2020’s firearm-toting, protester-fearing version of American Gothic

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Meet the “Gun Couple,” 2020’s firearm-toting, protester-fearing version of American Gothic

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      N2Doc
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,540

Real life can sometimes be so ridiculous that it feels like the world is acting out a script that critics would describe as “a little too on the nose.” Take, for instance, the “Gun Couple,” an impossibly WASPy husband and wife who turned out to “protect” their honest-to-god estate from passing Black Lives Matter protesters by waving around firearms in a subtlety-free encapsulation of contemporary white American paranoia.

The pair—married lawyers Mark and Patty McCloskey—were filmed last night standing outside the walls of their imitation-brand Versailles in a sort of casual Friday militia uniform of capri pants and polo shirts, holding a pistol and assault rifle. The McCloskeys were out and armed in response to a crowd of peaceful protesters on their way to demand Mayor Lyda Krewson’s resignation following a news briefing where she “read the names and addresses of several residents who wrote letters to the mayor suggesting she defund the police department.”

The two wave their guns around (often pointing them at each other with all the subconscious familial loathing of a proper WASP couple) as protesters yell to each other to keep walking past them. The pair pace around shouting at the crowd, Patty McCloskey placing a hand on her hip like she’s waiting in line for a salad spinner refund and her khaki-clad husband Mark striking the sort of poses that he must think make him look like a hardened SEAL working undercover to protect an ornate local dentist office.

more

https://news.avclub.com/meet-the-gun-couple-2020s-firearm-toting-protester-1844202965

Really poor firearm safety technique there.

bazukhov
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,695

“Home of the Brave”  my ass.

Tell me, great captain, how do the angels sleep when the devil leaves his porch light on? Tom Waites

Populist Prole
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 447

Aside from the clueless-ness of having zero trigger control, isn’t pointing gun at people, loaded or not, with the intent to posture in some way, a felony? I know it is in my state when I took a gun safety course.

Aside from that, that house, inside and out, looks like something Rush Limpballs lives in.

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 5,224

“… a sort of casual Friday militia uniform of capri pants and polo shirts…”

This is wonderfully well written.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

B Calm
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 840

two idiots would pee in their pants.

Punxsutawney
      • Total Posts: 1,709

And don’t get me started on decency, as they certainly lack any.

They do look perfect for each other.

Suggestion: A better way to protect yourselves, hand out water and snacks, properly disinfected. My guess is you that you could afford a trip to Costco.

In America, “Liberty” means “Free to Die in Service of Capital” - Amfortas the hippie

elias39
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,775

would get a surprise gun barrel in her forehead is she fired it like that. Must have spent a lot of time skipping class. Hahaha!

Jan Boehmerman
      • Total Posts: 3,150

AS LAWYERS….. they knew what they could get away with.  Shooting people for trespassing?  Probably not.

They will be heroes to the gun humpers.  Let’s see what Trump tweets about this incident!

Cold Mountain Trail
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,849

i’m gonna take a slightly contrarian view here. what i read, & was backed up with photos & video, was that the marchers went through a gate posted ‘private path’ or something similar.

the video shows there are two walkways behind the gate, one of which runs right along the couple’s house, and it shows the couple, their guns, and the main part of the march walking along the walkway next to the house while some marchers are trying to shoo marchers onto the one away from the house.  A couple of the marchers have engaged in some way with the couple, and one is filming them while standing right next to their steps, which abut on the walkway closest to the house.

Cooler heads eventually succeeded in getting marchers to move to the other walkway.  I don’t know why the march decided to go through what was posted as a private gate, nor why they chose the walkway next to the house, or who engaged who first, but it looked like stupid moves on the part of some marchers as well as the obviously stupid moves by the homeowners.

A lot of the presentations of the incident I’ve seen are completely one-sided & it didn’t look to me like that actually represented the facts completely.

I should add that the stupid wife actually walked closer to two of the marchers with her gun so that all parties could better hassle each other I guess, while her husband stayed on their porch.  There were a couple of dogs too, which weren’t loosed on the marchers.

Glad nobody got hurt. Stupidity abounds.

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,203

Those guns aren’t going to be much help to them, when they are inside the gates of Hell.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

ElfinWilde
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 278

‘Cause that sure looks like a reenactment of a photo of the couple (either in real life or from the movie).

You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars. You have a right to be here.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.