Mersenne Prime Number discovery – 282589933-1 is Prime!

Homepage | Forums | Topics In Depth | Science and Environment | Mersenne Prime Number discovery – 282589933-1 is Prime!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      eridani
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,561

https://www.mersenne.org/primes/?press=M82589933

The Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) has discovered the largest known prime number, 2^82,589,933-1, having 24,862,048 digits. A computer volunteered by Patrick Laroche made the find on December 7, 2018. Patrick is one of thousands of volunteers using free GIMPS software available at http://www.mersenne.org/download/.

The new prime number, also known as M82589933, is calculated by multiplying together 82,589,933 twos, and then subtracting one. It is more than one and a half million digits larger than the previous record prime number, in a special class of extremely rare prime numbers known as Mersenne primes. It is only the 51st known Mersenne prime ever discovered, each increasingly more difficult to find. Mersenne primes were named for the French monk Marin Mersenne, who studied these numbers more than 350 years ago. GIMPS, founded in 1996, has discovered the last 17 Mersenne primes. Volunteers download a free program to search for these primes, with a cash award offered to anyone lucky enough to find a new prime. Prof. Chris Caldwell maintains an authoritative web site on the largest known primes, and has an excellent history of Mersenne primes.

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 5,887

Oh, I’m so excited. 

Jesus, my eyes cross just trying to remember my telephone number.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,458

It is suitable to enumerate the ways I do not care.

eridani
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,561

A mathematician, a physicist, a computer programmer, and an engineer were asked to prove or disprove the theorem that all odd numbers are prime.

Mathematician: 1 is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is prime 7 is prime, but 9 is not prime. The theorem is therefore false.
      Physicist: 1 is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is prime 7 is prime, 9 is not prime–but that could be an experimental error. Going on, 11, is prime, 13 is prume–well, that’s quite a few data points. The theorem may be true, but more research is nee4ded.
      Engineer: That would sure be convenient and handy if true. 1 is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is prime 7 is prime, 9 is prime, 11 is prime, 13 is prime, 15 is prime…….
      Programmer: To test a large number of possibilities, you need a computer program. And here’s the result–1 is prime, 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 7 is prime, 7 is prime, 7 is prime……

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.