• site updated

Please post any site issues on the "Upgrade" post on the Daily Radical
  • New Registration

To become a member of JackpineRadicals please see post https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/new-members/

Home Main Forums General Discussion Michael Bloomberg set to run for Democrats against Trump for presidency in 2020

• eridani (6212 posts)
    Donor

Michael Bloomberg set to run for Democrats against Trump for presidency in 2020

Instantly makes Bernie’s age a non-issue.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/bloomberg-set-to-run-against-trump-in-2020-qvbfcrswg

Michael Bloomberg, the billionaire founder of a business news empire, is preparing to run for president as a Democrat, The Times understands.

Mr Bloomberg, 76, a former mayor of New York with a personal fortune of more than $50 billion, has previously considered running as an independent but decided against it in 2012 for fear of splitting the Democratic vote.

He has told confidants that he is planning to join the presidential race, in which several leading business figures could follow the example of Donald Trump and throw their hats in the ring.

“Mike Bloomberg told me he is going to run in 2020,” a source said. “He has the money to see it through while other candidates knock themselves out.”

You've heard of the Good Witch of the North and the Wicked Witch of the West, right?  I'm the Morally Ambiguous Witch of the Northwest.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
10 replies
  • eridani (6212 posts)
    Donor

1. Climate Summit co-chair Michael Bloomberg backs fracking & invests in fossil fue

https://www.nationofchange.org/2018/09/13/climate-summit-co-chair-michael-bloomberg-backs-fracking-invests-in-fossil-fuels/

But celebration and praise of Bloomberg as a climate leader should be met with due caution, if not outright scorn. Bloomberg is an unapologetic advocate of drilling and fracking who almost certainly has large chunks of his billions invested in oil and gas. If we’re looking for big climate leaders, he falls woefully short. While Bloomberg may not be a Trump-supporting coal baron, he pushes a vision that keeps us locked into fossil fuels and celebrates the very market forces that drive the climate crisis.

Bloomberg is a big advocate of fracking and the expansion of natural gas infrastructure. At the beginning of Climate of Hope, he writes: “I don’t want to ban fracking (just do it safely) or stop the Keystone pipeline (the oil is coming here one way or another), and I support nuclear power.” He later goes into write: “Natural gas, when safely and responsibly extracted, has been a godsend for the environment and public health,” and that “fracking allows for the most efficient extraction of natural gas” and that “it makes sense to frack.”

One trick that Bloomberg uses to promote fracking is to frame natural gas as the “good” fossil fuel versus coal, the “bad” fossil fuel. Bloomberg has given tens of millions of dollars to groups to fight the coal industry – for example, he’s donated $80 million to the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal campaign. But in 2015, he criticized New York State’s fracking ban, calling it “misguided,” and, as is usual with him, counterposed fracked gas as the alternative to coal.

You've heard of the Good Witch of the North and the Wicked Witch of the West, right?  I'm the Morally Ambiguous Witch of the Northwest.
  • Betty Karlson (5056 posts)
    Donor

2. And there is the 3rd party Joe Crowley of 2020.

"Someone hacks the DNC allowing all of America to see how the DNC operates as one of the most corrupt political machines in national history. Ergo, Hillary Clinton should be installed as President by judicial fiat. And if you do not agree to this scheme you deserve to be brought up on charges of treason because fascism." - NUGrrl, december 2016 “Once a person has been determined to be an UNTRUSTWORTHY LIAR, their pretend stances on important issues are simply not relevant to rational discussion.” – Ida Briggs, September 2016
  • rampart (330 posts)

3. does anyone really think this guy would get enough votes in uowa or new hampshir

to make it to “super tuesday?” can he carry new york in a general election?

the trumpcucks will laugh him off of the internet “he will take that big gulp from my ‘cold dead hand,'” not to mention gun control.

• Electrolyte Orchestra (394 posts)

4. He became mayor as a Republican

If he winds up as the best chance to deny Bernie, the establishment Dems will forget all about his previous affiliation with the enemy, providing another example of their hypocrisy. Pardon me, their evolving principles.

• mick063 (2488 posts)
    Donor

5. Gag me with a spoon.

The poster child of neo liberalism.

"I welcome their hatred"    Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • Smarmie Doofus (778 posts)
    Donor

6. De ja vu.

And ” vu and vu and vu” again.

We’ve been thru this before. Ad nauseum.

The only person who thinks Bloomberg should be president is Bloomberg.

• mmonk (3872 posts)
    Donor

7. And I'm set to vote Green again. I will always be set to do so

if Democratic Party voters are still dumb enough to vote for Republican ideology while living in their fantasy they are voting against Republicans and their ideology. I never fell off a turnip truck and never devolved into a life form devoid of humanity.

• BillZBubb (3881 posts)
    Donor

8. The DNC will want him to run.

He won’t be their favorite candidate, but they’ll want him to win a state like New York so that Bernie can’t get a majority of those delegates. That will be the strategy to force the nomination process to a second ballot where the party can pick the neoliberal it wants as the nominee.

DemExit! Don't give the Democrats a dime. Don't identify as a Democrat. Drop Democratic identification below 20%. Only then will they support true progressive policy. Until then, corporate money rules.
    • Smarmie Doofus (778 posts)
      Donor

9. I don't see Bernie getting a majority of NY delegates…

in any scenario.  The DEM primary electorate is consistently backwards ( i.e. in the 19th century) here statewide. ESPECIALLY true  in metro NYC. Which numerically dominates in staewide primaries.

Dominated OVERWHELMINGLY by ID politics and by ETHNIC politics specifically. Sanders is Jewish but will be passed over by much of Jewish primary electorate in favor of any alternative non-Jew  (e.g. Clinton, Harris, Booker, whomever.) who mechanically parrots the dominant AIPAC-style narrative re. Israel. The senator actually indulges independent thoughts on the matter and has the unprecedented temerity to occassionally voice them. He’s right of course, but remember: it’s the 19th century here. Dog whistling and outright defamation abound. Look at Status Cuomo’s “anti-semitic” senak attack on Nixon. They do these things ( i.e. indulge these tactics) because they are EFFECTIVE. They *work*.

It applies to AAs and Latinos as well. James beat Teachout  for AG by something like 6 and 1/2 to 1 in Bronx County. Almost as big a wipeout in Bklyn. Check out the demographic breakdowns for those counties.

And don’t get me started on the “vote for me because I’m a woman”.

Upshot: Sanders won’t get a majority of the delegates because the majority of the primary electorate is not very bright.

• Babel 17 (5265 posts)
    Donor

10. One guess at what people green lit his idea, lol

:)

It’s a money maker for everyone connected to him.

More daring would be to challenge Trump for the Republican nomination.

As a Democrat he’s vulnerable to someone who gets out the younger voters (Sanders), and the issue of the Palestinians will be a test for his coming across as honest, forthcoming, caring, and a visionary. Sanders will outscore him there, and without utterly losing Jewish voters*.

Bloomberg would have to be a lot of things to a lot of people, and he’d have to defend his record as Mayor of NY. Even Sanders had his share of fun times having to defend his stellar progressive record during the 2016 primary season. And 2020 will be rougher still. Big advantage for Sanders there, as he’s been tested.

He was a Republican who after being elected, and re-elected, as one, finally registered as an independent. So he can’t use that against Sanders being an independent.

https://mondoweiss.net/2016/01/michael-bloomberg-has-been-a-fervent-supporter-of-israel-to-a-point/

The 73-year-old former mayor has been extremely supportive of Israel with what seems like a generational Jewish attachment. He has funded buildings in his parents’ names there and he flew to Israel a year and a half ago to declare that it was within its rights to bomb Gaza to smithereens (a judgement against international law). He has adopted neoconservative positions on foreign policy and aided Islamophobic efforts in New York city. Yet in a couple of instances, Bloomberg has disappointed the Israel lobby.

and

Bloomberg was an early and vocal supporter of the Iraq War, though apparently he cooled off on it later.

On Bloomberg’s watch, the NY Police Department instituted a surveillance program targeting Muslims in New York that was modeled on Israeli policies in the West Bank. Bloomberg also undermined Debbie Almontaser when her Arabic-language academy in Brooklyn came under attack by Israel supporters. In the end he helped force her resignation.

and

… he said that Israel did not have to limit itself to a “proportional” response to Gaza attacks.

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/michael-bloomberg-proportional-response-not-required-of-israel/

He’d have to stay in a bubble to avoid constantly being demanded to address what his positions meant regarding Israel and the Palestinians. Fun times!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bloomberg#Economic_issues

Bloomberg’s self-described fiscal conservatism also led him to eliminate the existing $6-billion deficit when he assumed office. Bloomberg balanced the budget of New York City by raising property taxes and making cuts to city agencies.[129]

Bloomberg is in favor of providing tax breaks to big corporations for the good of the whole community. As mayor, Bloomberg lobbied the CEO of Goldman Sachs to establish its headquarters across from Ground Zero by promising $1.65 billion in tax breaks. Regarding this deal, Bloomberg stated, “This [New York City] is where the best want to live and work. So I told him [CEO of Goldman Sachs], ‘We can help with minimizing taxes. Minimizing your rent. Improving security. But in the end, this is about people.'”[130]

Bloomberg had less cordial relations with unions as mayor. In 2002, when New York City’s transit workers threatened to strike, Bloomberg responded by riding a mountain bike through the city to show how the city could deal with the transit strike by finding alternate means of transportation and not pandering to the unions.[131] Three years later, a clash over wages and union benefits led to a three-day strike. Negotiations led to the end of the strike in December 2005.

Lol, is the Republican primary looking good yet? I don’t know if he understands that he’ll have to actively defend all of that. On the other hand, the DNC is perpetually broke, and the Clinton campaign bought control of it for 2015 and 2016. So Bloomberg could outdo that. On the other, other, hand 2020 will likely outdo 2016 by way of people refusing to get shut down and shut out by the campaign of the establishment candidate. Bloomberg won’t immediately have the kind of Secret Service bubble Clinton had, which had the force of law to make people back off.

Ironically, Sanders could likely qualify for that sooner than Bloomberg might.

Trump, a billionaire New Yorker; Sanders, a New Yorker, Bloomberg, the newcomer, being a billionaire New Yorker, might find the public’s appetite satisfied with what they have. Their all being similar in age reinforces that idea.

What Bloomberg could reasonably be able to manage is to set up a powerful organization, and at the right time drop out and hand it off to whoever he endorses. That could amount to be effectively an in kind donation of several hundred million dollars, but it would be perfectly legal.

Should he have run ineptly, and his campaign somewhat discredited, the value of that would be much lower.

https://www.votetulsi.com/bumper-stickers/free