Michael Dukakis, the Democratic Party's candidate for president in 1988, on concerns of Russian meddling

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Michael Dukakis, the Democratic Party's candidate for president in 1988, on concerns of Russian meddling

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      castor
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 11

Given that he’s been out of office for a long time, there’s little reason for Dukakis not to speak his mind when asked about the possible role of Russia in getting Trump elected: “It’s not that I’m not concerned about Russia meddling, but I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that the U.S. has meddled in more domestic elections in other countries than practically any other country on the face of the earth. We’re tapping the phones of the Russian ambassador every day!” Dukakis laughs. “So it’s a little interesting for us to be accusing them of meddling. We don’t simply hack [other governments], we overthrow them. I’m not sure Americans remember this, but it was our overthrow of the democratically elected government of Iran in 1953 that triggered this Iranian antagonism to us. I’m not sure we’re justified in complaining about meddling.”

Michael Dukakis’s Last Stand

I’ve found this really interesting, particularly because this is a significant political figure speaking so bluntly about the matter.

Here’s a disclaimer, because any discussion of this issue across the Internet is often defined by Trump supporters and their mainstream opponents: I have no intention to discuss taking sides on the controversy over Russian interference and illicit connections between Trump and Russians other than to acknowledge it as reactionary infighting, which I think is part of any accurate analysis.

Re: the big avatar and name discrepancy, I mistook an otter for a beaver.

3fingerbrown
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,842

for us to get some honesty out of some of these guys (Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, etc.)

All governments lie to their citizen's, but only Americans believe theirs.

Joe Shlabotnik
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 865

Carter admitted to being a Bernie-crat.

~ All good things are Wild and Free ~

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,647

Considering he was running against a CIA lifer (Poppy Bush) it might have been all the more entertaining. 

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,675

It does tell me – haha! – that I am dealing with a DNC/hillbot/Brockian/maybe just dimwitted and easily led person when they spout that.  At this point, if Bernie is not a candidate, I just may write in Putin and give Rachel and her ilk a thrill.  Won’t be voting for a Vichy Dem, that’s for sure.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.