• New Registration

To become a member of JackpineRadicals please see post https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/new-members/

Home Main Forums General Discussion My 2018 Resolution

• MannyGoldstein (2342 posts)
    Profile photo of Manny Goldstein Admin

My 2018 Resolution

This coming year, I resolve to focus on improving things instead of complaining about what sucks.

There was a time for complaint: for 20+ years the 99%, by-and-large, couldn’t figure out how badly we were getting #@&*ed by The Predator Class and their purchased Republicans and Neoliberals in government. Someone had to sound the alarm.

But now it’s pretty clear that, at last, most of us know we’ve been had, and by who. Republicans and Neoliberals are now deeply hated by most Americans. Something will change. The real argument now is over the right way forward, and that’s an argument in which our voices can help.

This year, I invite everyone to join me in resolving to complain less, and to spend more energy working to make this world a better place.

Let’s fix stuff!

Peace and health to all!

chknltl, Pastiche, truebluegreen and 38 othersOdd John, Babel 17, Xyzse, hopemountain, disillusioned73, glinda, Robert From NC, vattel, Major Hogwash, GnashvilleCat, Ferd Berfel, 3FingerBrown, ravensong, sgcase, NJOCK, Abelenkpe, Two way street, davidthegnome, bemildred, jwirr, djean111, Deadpool, LaaDeeDaaVA, spud demon, h-32, Enthusiast, rampart, Peace Patriot, PADemD, Satan, Haikugal, caliny, Marym625, Charles, so far from heaven, Land of Enchantment, nevereVereven, area woman like this
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
27 replies
  • 2 weeks ago #3
  • 2 weeks ago #4
  • 2 weeks ago #12
  • 2 weeks ago #25
    • ThouArtThat (6114 posts)
      Profile photo of ThouArtThat Donor

1. The Enemy Is Unmasked – Oligarchs, Corporations, Banks And Their Paid Minions

eom

"In America Today, Power Corrupts and Money Corrupts Absolutely" - Anonymous  

2. Ok. So

whaddya gonna do about it?

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair

5. Work With The Only Tools A Citizen Has Left – My Vote And Dissensus

https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/an-idea-rarely-discussed-is-the-utility-of-political-dissensus/

22. Interesting thought

Although persuading folks to do stuff like “dispose of the TV” will take some work.

24. TV Free Here Since 2000 – It Can Be Done – And LIfe Is Much Less Stressful

eom

• Marym625 (28347 posts)
                Profile photo of Marym625 Admin

27. I watch it

But pretty much just mindless situation comedies. Reruns at that. :)

Take Action #StopFCC https://www.battleforthenet.com/breaktheinternet/ "Once the decision was made to go into Iraq as an invader and occupier,  it’s like our nation lost its conscience. And it has not yet gotten that conscience back." Madfloridian  
      • Enthusiast (11089 posts)
        Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

15. Including every facet of traditional media.

Now they wish to compromise the internet so we will have no eyes or ears.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat, 1848
    • oldandhappy (4076 posts)
      Profile photo of oldandhappy Donor

3. x1

Invest in people.  Seek TRUTH.
    • nevereVereven (3800 posts)
      Profile photo of nevereVereven Donor

4. Recommended!

A hologram of a magnifying glass will also function as a magnifying glass, but a hologram of Sherlock Holmes won't solve anything.  
    • so far from heaven (14843 posts)
      Profile photo of So Far From Heaven Donor

6. Challenge accepted.

I’ll start with an interview of a lady in Indiana that has an idea how to run campaigns based on knowing what everyone wants, right, center and left.

Her idea is that what we need to do is quit TELLING everyone what to do and start LISTENING to what they want and see how to let them get their desires as well as ours on many issues.

Next stop:

psychology. Interviews of leading scientists studying the mechanics of choices, perceptions and decision making.

You want to help me with it?

That’s just the start. REAL global warming science news is after that.

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun.'" -Groucho Marx.

8. As This Citizen Understands Humanty – Decisions Are Based On Emotion Not Facts

eom

9. I make few emotional decisions.

Very few.

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun.'" -Groucho Marx.

11. Likewise Here – Apparently Not True For The Rest Of The Species

eom

21. Cool.

But psychologists? I come from a family of ‘em, I might be biased.

23. Good. I might need your bias to keep me straight.

How are you this fine New Years Day my friend?

7. By the way.

this is important enough to go directly to Daily Rad, right @marym625?

• Marym625 (28347 posts)

13. It's up

Thank you

Take Action #StopFCC https://www.battleforthenet.com/breaktheinternet/ "Once the decision was made to go into Iraq as an invader and occupier,  it’s like our nation lost its conscience. And it has not yet gotten that conscience back." Madfloridian  
    • MrMickeysMom (1890 posts)
      Profile photo of MrMickeysMom Donor

10. I just wanted to see the new post dated 2018…

I don’t really have anything to add to your NYresolve. I think it’s gonna be everyone’s goal, as we can all see what how we have to hold on to new places outside our pants to get through what will probably be a steady plow all through this year, up to, and including the year 2020.

We will have gone through a lot more shit by then…

And, this isn’t to bait any, “So, what are you gonna do about it?” response, as much as it is to solute having good resolve and a sense of adventure as to what we’re going to have to do to get ourselves, friends and family to wake up the rest of the way to see how to re-distribute the labor and wealth as we demand an absolute halt to gas and oil exploration/drilling. We have to also demand not to support as consumers anything that supports the pharmaceutical industry, which means we have to get healthy and work to center our spirit.

If we just so happen to want to rant and bitch and give company to other people’s miserable descriptions of what local motherfuckers are doing in their area, then I say DO IT. And, DO IT HERE. We need a social media board to sustain what will be growing efforts to stabilize economic grieve for some, and ways to grow your own food.

We’ll continue to need JPR for that. Plus, we need to take some of that money we would normally be fucking off with and support here, patreon supported internet news sources and …. you get it already.

RightOnMoFo, and a Happy New Year to us all at JPR. I resolve to deal with my shadow and expose the truth. Thanks for this site!

Hell no...I'm not giving up...     cat-gif-238.gif giphy.gif
    • Marym625 (28347 posts)

12. On The Daily Radical

I can’t promise I won’t complain. It’s rather difficult to see what’s happening and not. Especially when we know the answers but the system has been rigged to shut us up, shut us down and ignore the reality.

But I will, as I have my entire life, do everything in my power to try to make things good.

I love you Manny Goldstein. May you, and all of us, have a happy, productive and peaceful year

20. Aww, shucks

Thank you, and back at you!

• Peace Patriot (3079 posts)
      Profile photo of Peace Patriot Donor

14. Here's something that turned my head around from negative to…

…to positive on our environmental crisis:

• MrMickeysMom (1890 posts)
        Profile photo of MrMickeysMom Donor

16. FANTASTIC! This could be an OP itself, under Media

Currently watching it. Thanks, PeacePatriot. As usual, an excellent post from you!

The exit from the age of the patriarchy into empowering women statistic blew me away, alone.

Hell no...I'm not giving up...     cat-gif-238.gif giphy.gif
    • Koko (4514 posts)
      Profile photo of Koko Donor

17. Universalizing Resistance: To Fight Trump, Fight the System

I thought this was an interesting watch/read:
      —–
      Universalizing Resistance: To Fight Trump, Fight the System

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=20782

January 1, 2018:  In his new book, “Welcome to the Revolution: Universalizing Resistance,” Prof. Charlie Derber says progressive movements must work together to confront interconnected hierarchies of power, because smaller issues are intertwined with a larger system; you can’t confront one problem without confronting them all.

Charles Derber is a professor of Sociology at Boston College and the author of over twenty books. His latest titles include Welcome to the Revolution: Universalizing Resistance for Social Justice in Perilous Times and Bully Nation: How the American Establishment Creates a Bullying Society, which was published in paperback this month.

PARTIAL TRANSCRIPT below the YOU  TUBE:

GREGORY WILPERT: Welcome to the Real News Network. President Donald Trump just signed his main legislative achievement, a radical tax reform, and thereby gave corporate Americans and the top 1% a huge Christmas gift. It’s the most far reaching tax reform in decades and is predicted to further deepen the already massive inequality in the U.S.

What can ordinary citizens who disagree with Trump’s policies, and more broadly with the directions the U.S. has been taking over the past several decades, do about all of this? Well, one writer who is attempting to answer this question is Professor Charlie Derber. Charlie is Professor of Sociology at Boston College and author of numerous books on political economy, political sociology, environmental sociology, and social change. His most recent book, just published by Routledge, is ‘Welcome to the Revolution: Universalizing Resistance for Social Change and Democracy in Perilous Times.’ He joins us from Boston, Massachusetts today. Welcome, Charlie.

CHARLES DERBER: Hi Greg. Thanks for inviting me.

GREGORY WILPERT: Your book is divided into three main parts: an analysis of the system in which we live today, a proposal for how to overcome the system, and third, some concrete proposals on what people can do. Let’s go through each one of these step by step. First, you call the system in which we currently live “militarized corporate capitalism.” What do you see as being the main features of this system?

CHARLES DERBER: Well, I think the most important point is that it is a system. I think the mainstream media and actually much of the liberal left, has lost sight of the idea that so many of the big problems we’re dealing with — whether we’re talking about war and militarism, or climate change, or racism, or economic inequality — have lost sight of the fact that we are dealing with an intertwined system in which all these different hierarchies of power based on class and race and gender and so forth — and which connect issues like climate and war and capitalism, has this way of connecting the dots — and recognizing that we have to confront a broader system, which is at the root of all these different problems, has been lost.

What is the nature of this system? First of all, it’s a system of enormously concentrated economic and political power where we have 1% of the population pretty much dominating politics and the political agenda and much of our social and economic life. I think what I’m trying to … If anybody has studied any social science, you might know the word “intersectionality,” which is just a way of talking about connecting the dots: realizing that climate, war, capitalism, racism, are historically, intertwined systems of power, and to deal with one of them you have to deal with all of them. I’m really talking about the system as a highly concentrated form of power in the political and economic system.

GREGORY WILPERT: One of the things that struck me is that you talk about it as being also universalizing, so I just first of all want to ask what does that mean? And secondly, why do you use the concept of universalization instead of perhaps something such as corporate globalization, which was once a pretty common concept that was used both in academia and in the alter-globalization movement. First of all, how is it universalizing, and how is that different perhaps from globalization?

TRANSCRIPT CONTINUES AT:
      http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=20782

• kliljedahl (1384 posts)
      Profile photo of kliljedahl

18. Mine's the same as last year's

1366 X 788

19. LOL

well done.

• HawkeyeX (1055 posts)
      Profile photo of HawkeyeX Donor

25. Lufya Comrade Manny!

My best wishes for this place to be the safe harbor for true progressives, and that the centrist fuckwits remain rotting elsewhere.

• vattel (1558 posts)
      Profile photo of vattel

26. I will fight against state kidnapping as much as I can. Chinga la migra!