My rant to end 2018: Time for all who want real, positive change to abandon Vichy Democrats and Identity Politics.

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | My rant to end 2018: Time for all who want real, positive change to abandon Vichy Democrats and Identity Politics.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 17,106

Edit: My apologies, the last 3 paragraphs do not appear due to operator error of my workaround to be able to post anything this long due to hamster behavior I do not understand. I cannot post a reply to this thread with them, either. 

Well, here we are, on the eve of New Year’s Eve, about to head into 2019, which promises to be full of interesting times.

The economy is like the opening scene from Macbeth–bubble, bubble, toil and trouble–as the overinflated stock, real estate, student loan, China, and thanks to the effects of climate change, insurance, bubbles can and will burst, probably some time next year. All of the Russiagate hysteria, budget shutdown, and just general disgust with the spoiled man child in the White House may not doom him, but any prolonged recession caused by any of the things I listed easily will.

Meanwhile, the Vichy Democrats, shocked by the strength of a very young progressive political movement, desperately try to frame the 2020 elections in terms of identity politics, Madison Avenue-style branding, and “human rights” abroad solvable only by American military intervention, which not coincidentally fuel their own investments and corporate donors.

Not only that, but just like Trump, they throw temper tantrums and wild accusations at progressives in a futile attempt to blame us or the Republicans for their own colossal failures. Their record of failure goes back to at least 1993, when Vichy Democrat Extraordinaire Bill Clinton broke his promise and joined with Republicans to push through NAFTA, an act which devastated the entire Midwest and made the very name Clinton an anathema here.

Identity politics itself is based on the flawed assumption that voters have to identify with some ephemeral characteristic of a candidate in order to vote for them. That characteristic can be just about anything; race, ethnicity, gender, gender preference, gender identity, some sort of lifestyle such as “soccer moms,” religion, age, regional accent, height, weight, or musculature.

Notice none of these things has anything whatsoever to do with one’s political or socioeconomic class, and that is quite deliberate. The last thing anyone in our power elite, be they Republican or Democrat, wants is for class consciousness to develop in this country, for such a development is the harbinger of their political doom, and they know it.

Hence Obama referring to criminal bankers as “savvy businessmen” and saying American celebrate wealth and they should, thereby holding out that capitalist propaganda carrot that if we only work hard enough, we too can be rich, which is a contemptible lie. Hence people on sites like DU, and even here, saying that it should not matter how much wealth John Kerry or Beto O’Rourke married into. Hence the calls for “baby steps” on political, economic, and even environmental reform.

Hence the contradictory DNC strategy towards progressives, which on the one hand tells us we are irrelevant and they don’t need us, and on the other demands our votes for whatever corrupt, corporatist swamp creature they put forward. Hence the insulting strategy of calling us racist or misogynist if we refuse to vote for a minority or female candidate, while ignoring the fact that Nina Turner is a proud black woman and Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez is a young Puerto Rican woman.

The only purpose of the DNC and the Vichy Democrats is to preserve the corporatist status quo for as long as possible, raking in all the loot while they still can before the storms on the horizon, be they meteorological ones caused by climate change or political ones caused by massive income inequality and injustice, overwhelm our pathetically unprepared civilization.

For all of those reasons, and more besides, as progressives our task is not only to refuse to support these parasitical cretins ourselves, but to spread the word to as many as possible to stop listening to the Very Intelligent People in the TV, print, and internet media who urge us to vote for those candidates in the primaries who they say is the most “electable.” And how do we counter them? The Joe Friday method, just the facts, ma’am.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 17,106

a notepad, in the little T-box text-only mode, to get that to post.

Now it is football and beer time.  :fistbump:

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

3fingerbrown
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,833

On point as usual.

All governments lie to their citizen's, but only Americans believe theirs.

Joe Shlabotnik
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 865

~ All good things are Wild and Free ~

JustSayin
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 535

as far as I can see 90% of the so called progressives will again fall in line in 2020(like past 30 years) and then start whining on Twitter again. Nothing will  change ever. If Hillary runs again in 2020 you can bet the DNC will cheat Bernie again and 90% will vote for her again.

Never expect different result by following the previous steps

sonofspy777
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,429

http://www.umich.edu/~ac213/student_projects07/global/laborday.gif

https://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/4-scary-trade-deals-that-will-give-you-nightmares/NAFTAcorportatewerewolfl.jpg

https://www.toonpool.com/user/6996/files/no_room_in_the_boat_for_workers_744925.jpg

http://pastdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Bill-Clinton-NAFTA-resize-1.jpg

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
      ~Samuel Clemens

Populist Prole
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 501

It’s concise enough to be a veritable manifesto, or at least mission statement for us all.

Righteous read, this. 

David the Gnome
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,720

There are some, who’s names we all know.  Still, it should not come as much of a surprise that many former “intelligence” agents of some sort ran in the 2018 elections.  These are likely the very worst of the vichy democrats.

In a majority of elections our choices remain very limited.  This is why we need serious campaign finance reform – and to enforce it severely.  If the playing field is more even, I think more non letter people will run.  Right now though?

Gotta have a lot of cash for the house or Senate.  Wealth, corruption, greed, etc. All tend to go together.

The big question is how to accomplish that transformation.

Mick063
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 578

I don’t want to diminish it by adding comment. It stands extremely well on it’s own.

Very, very well done.

If it isn’t on the front page of JPR already, it should be.

"I welcome their hatred" Franklin D Roosevelt

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.