On Israel boycott issue, Booker stands alone among Senate Democrats in 2020 presidential race

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | On Israel boycott issue, Booker stands alone among Senate Democrats in 2020 presidential race

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      N2Doc
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,843

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Cory Booker joined most of his Senate Democratic colleagues in supporting President Barack Obama’s nuclear deal with Iran.

But he was in the minority when he added his name to legislation to ban U.S. companies from joining an international boycott of Israel.

In fact, Booker, D-N.J., is the only U.S. senator mentioned as a prospective 2020 Democratic presidential candidate to co-sponsor the bill. In all, just 14 of 49 Democrats (including U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., who broke with his party and opposed the Iran deal) joined 42 of 51 Republicans in supporting the measure. A similar House bill is backed by 293 of 435 representatives, though not Rep. Beto O’Rourke, D-Texas, who also is mentioned in conversations about 2020.

more

https://www.nj.com/politics/2018/12/on-israel-boycott-issue-booker-stands-alone-among-senate-democrats-in-2020-presidential-race.html

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,813

They weigh votes and money.  Booker is just more up front about it – perhaps he has assurances from the DNC/Obama/Democratic Party that this will not hurt his chances of being awarded the nomination.  Or someone else has promised a huge campaign contribution.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

"Sometimes when I try to understand a person's motives, I play a little game. I assume the worst. What's the worst reason they could possibly have for saying what they say and doing what they do? Then I ask myself, 'How well does that reason explain what they say and what they do?'" GRRM

A YouTube comment – we need new conspiracy theories – the old ones have all come true.

Average Gazoo
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 741
        djean111
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 8,813

At its worst, and nowadays I have no trouble imagining this – everything will be required to have some quota or percentage of Israeli goods or services.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

"Sometimes when I try to understand a person's motives, I play a little game. I assume the worst. What's the worst reason they could possibly have for saying what they say and doing what they do? Then I ask myself, 'How well does that reason explain what they say and what they do?'" GRRM

A YouTube comment – we need new conspiracy theories – the old ones have all come true.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.