Pentagon to cut troop levels to 2,500 in Iraq, Afghanistan

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Latest Breaking News | Pentagon to cut troop levels to 2,500 in Iraq, Afghanistan

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 17,986

WASHINGTON (AP) — Acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller on Tuesday announced plans to reduce U.S. troop levels in Iraq and Afghanistan, saying the decision fulfills President Donald Trump’s pledge to bring forces home even as Republicans and U.S. allies warn against a rash withdrawal.

The new plan will accelerate troop withdrawals from Iraq and Afghanistan in Trump’s final days in office, despite arguments from senior military officials in favor of a slower, more methodical pullout. Trump has refused to concede his election loss to Democrat Joe Biden, who takes office Jan. 20, just five days after the troop withdrawals are slated to finish.

Miller, who refused to take questions from reporters, said the plan will cut the number of troops in Afghanistan from more than 4,500 to 2,500, and in Iraq from about 3,000 to 2,500. Miller added that the U.S. remains ready to respond if conditions deteriorate.

“If the forces of terror, instability, division and hate begin a deliberate campaign to disrupt our efforts, we stand ready to apply the capabilities required to thwart them,” he said in a roughly eight-minute statement to reporters in the Pentagon briefing room.

Full story here

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,905

Promised complete withdrawal and settled for token withdrawal. He had a chance to do something useful and blew it. After Obama failed to get out, Trump could have taken bold action and bragged on himself. I guess he just wants to play golf.

elias39
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,244

by Barbara Starr. My dawg! The sky is falling! I thought she might have a nervous breakdown on a national TV program! Watch for all the mainstream media to go full-court press to KEEP THE TROOPS THERE! It would be the end of the world as we know it if you hear Starr. To paraphrase part of her distress – ‘think of all those families that would be uprooted from their homes! Think of the Afghan women! OMG!’
      I know Starr is a Pentagon spokesperson but the drama was over the top. War? It’s what we do! Wars of choice? It’s what we do. If this happens it will be the one thing trump has done in his 4 long, painful years that I can get behind. Bring them ALL home. Absent that, bring half.

N2Doc
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,585

Plans. Plans can be delayed.  Plans can be changed. And will be Jan 20th.

Nick Xylas
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 167

Sadly, it means that the Brunch Democrats will be applauding all the harder when Biden sends them all back again. Take that, orange man!

“The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.” -Julius Nyerere

PADemD
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,132
      Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 17,986

I just hope Trump succeeds in bring all but 2500 home. Then it’s on Biden if he chooses to escalate. I don’t know if he will or not. He probably will, but he may not because of the pandemic and the economy and all.

After the vaccine comes out, though, I wouldn’t recommend any extended vacations to Bolivia.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Red Cloud
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,494

Pack them all up in a big ass boat!

Let Afghanistan control its trillion dollar resources!

Snort McDork
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,091

Here’s more from RT

I'm Snort McDork and I approved this message.

"I like birdy num-nums"

sadoldgirl
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 999

@hasslecat:

I bet that the military stopped him from going all

the way. They stopped him from getting out of Syria

before. At least they appear to agree to a partial

drawdown, although they may procrastinate on

that as well. Let’s see what really will happen.

3fingerbrown
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,956

Too bad. I was hoping he would pull them all out, if for no other reson than to give the MIC a big fuck you. Half measures just gives us half ass results.

All governments lie to their citizen's, but only Americans believe theirs.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.