Home JackpineRadical Rooms JPR Reading Room Soros' Bleak 2017 Forecast: Billionaire Warns EU Will FALL After Elite 'STOLE…

• Purveyor (2634 posts)
    Profile photo of Purveyor

Soros' Bleak 2017 Forecast: Billionaire Warns EU Will FALL After Elite 'STOLE…

Soros’ Bleak 2017 Forecast: Billionaire Warns EU Will FALL After Elite ‘STOLE Democracy’

GEORGE Soros has warned voters have turned away from mainstream political parties as “many people felt that the elites have stolen their democracy”, in an alarming forecast for the European Union in 2017.

By JON ROGERS
    11:48, Mon, Jan 2, 2017 | UPDATED: 13:24, Mon, Jan 2, 2017

The 86-year-old Hungarian-American said Brussels is “on the verge of breakdown” and could even fall under the influence of Vladimir Putin.

Writing in a blog, the highly influential businessman warned: “Open societies are in crisis, and various forms of closed societies – from fascist dictatorships to mafia states – are on the rise.

“How could this happen? The only explanation I can find is that elected leaders failed to meet voters’ legitimate expectations and aspirations and that this failure led electorates to become disenchanted with the prevailing versions of democracy and capitalism.

“Quite simply, many people felt that the elites had stolen their democracy.”

In the article, Soros, who is believed to have amassed a personal wealth of around $24.9billion (£20bn), partially blamed the rise of unregulated globalised financial markets and the inability of governments to redistribute wealth.

MORE…

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/749267/George-Soros-EU-2017-forecast-democracy

daleanime, Doremus Jessup, xynthee like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
11 replies
  • MannyGoldstein (1792 posts)
    Profile photo of Manny Goldstein Admin

1. Anything Soros says is highly suspect

I happen to agree with his promise, but he could just be trying to push markets in a certain way so that he can profit. IIRC, he’s done some monstrous things in the past to destabilize countries and currencies.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair
  • djean111 (3151 posts)
    Profile photo of djean111 Donor

2. And I am sure that Soros already has plans to make money from any

breakdown, at the expense of the countries involved.  And the article is a parody of hypocrisy, IMO and all that.

You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.
  • Mom Cat (6680 posts)
    Profile photo of Mom Cat Donor

3. If you are worried about what the elites did to democracy,

look in the mirror George!

NEVER FORGET      BERNIE WON!          
  • Doremus Jessup (2116 posts)
    Profile photo of Doremus Jessup Donor

4. maybe people are pissed the elites have stolen their money.

86 and still stealing other peoples money like he will live another 86 years. Fuck him.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. End ALL occupations and bring the troops home.
    • FanBoy (7112 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

7. it takes a thief to call out a thief? i agree, f him

• bemildred (2260 posts)
    Profile photo of bemildred Donor

5. OK, I read all of it.

On the one hand, it’s vanilla leftist/progressive rhetoric.

But mostly it leaves me wondering what he is up to? Butt-covring? Getting on the populist bandwagon? Starting a new “movement”?

A guy worth $25B talking about failure to redistribute. That’s chutzpah.

It ain't the things you don't know that hurts you, it's the things you know that ain't so.
  • FanBoy (7112 posts)
    Profile photo of FanBoy

6. wtf? fall under the influence of putin?

mark blyth explains why Europe’s in trouble, and its economic (as usual), and it happened right at home — bankers.

and finally, someone explained the pre-recession run-up in commodities (yes, it was real, contra those morons at sv) in a way that puts it in a complete context.  I love this guy.

• MistaP (4105 posts)
    Profile photo of MistaP Donor

8. this is the guy who got his first billion by crashing the British pound

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/09/the-hillary-clinton-campaign-intentionally-created-donald-trump-with-its-pied-piper-strategy/ (Third Way = Bell Curve)
    • pinduck (1109 posts)
      Profile photo of pinduck Donor

9. Soros is at the forefront of the financialization of global capital. He

produces nothing of value and could easily be considered a parasite.

"Sometimes I feel like Fletcher Christian..."
      • MistaP (4105 posts)
        Profile photo of MistaP Donor

10. bbbbut some autocratic philosopher of science no scientist ever listened to

and who thought Britain would prove itself the most moral superpower by putting the first man in space endorsed him!

how can you argue with that?!

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/09/the-hillary-clinton-campaign-intentionally-created-donald-trump-with-its-pied-piper-strategy/ (Third Way = Bell Curve)
        • pinduck (1109 posts)
          Profile photo of pinduck Donor

11. You are right. What was I thinking. I withdraw in shame. *sob*

"Sometimes I feel like Fletcher Christian..."