Teachers quit their jobs in record numbers during 2018

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Teachers quit their jobs in record numbers during 2018

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      N2Doc
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,321

Citing low pay, widespread disrespect and potential opportunities in other fields, frustrated public-school teachers walked away from their classrooms in record numbers during 2018, according to a recent Wall Street Journal report based on U.S. Department of Labor figures.

Public education employees, including person in jobs as varied as community-college faculty, school psychologists and janitors, quitting their jobs at the fastest rate since such figures were first compiled in 2001. In the first 10 months of 2018, public educators quit at an average rate of 83 per 10,000 a month, the newspaper said, citing the Labor Department. Although the overall rate for U.S. workers was much higher — 231 jobs quit per 10,000 workers in 2018 — the figure for teachers and other public education employees was a record high and the continuation of a disturbing trend.

For years, teachers have complained that they’re overworked and under appreciated as states have stripped away work protections, cut school budgets and blamed them for student underperformance.

What’s more, as the private-sector labor market rebounded from the recession, teachers and other school workers have yet to get back to where they were more than a decade ago. “Funding for public education in several states hasn’t yet recovered from cuts during the downturn,” the Journal reported.

more

https://thinkprogress.org/teachers-quit-their-jobs-in-record-numbers-during-2018-497f2162b3a6/

ElfinWilde
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 279

as teachers retire, it is harder and harder for schools to replace them.  I’ve known of high school positions that go unfilled into November (and our schools start the second week of August).

Teachers used to get three year contracts.  Not any more.  They get one year contracts and they are not staying after that contract is up.

Substitute teachers are treated worse than everyone else in the school system (not by most classroom teachers – they are aware more than anyone else how important subs are) and the school districts are starting to feel the pinch, but haven’t figured out why just yet.

The main reason I haven’t moved on out of the public school system is that I’m only three years away from full retirement age but if something better was dropped into my lap, it would be bye bye, immediately.

You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars. You have a right to be here.

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 17,276

schools and academic freedom have been under attack since Reagan. I thought about becoming a teacher once when I lived in Colorado. When I was told I would have to work for free for a year just so they could decide whether or not I liked the profession enough, I took a much crappier job that at least paid the rent.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Enthusiast
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,583

Stop abusing the teachers!

I would like to remind you that U.S. health insurance companies do not contribute anything to health care. They are only a PARASITIC middle man receiving an undeserved cut of "FREE MONEY".

Me

Snort McDork
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,917

….where kids have lots of problems (gangs etc). That is not where you put new teachers. Those neighborhoods need the experienced teachers. Here in New Mexico, its the same set of issues. Kids living in poverty, single parents, or parents with drug/alcohol problems, and gangs. There does not seem to be enough incentive for new teachers to enter the field given these sets of problems they have to deal with. Plus, I don’t think there is proper training for new teachers (although I could be wrong) to deal with the sociological problems that kids bring to the classroom. OB is correct. The political elites are intent on destroying the public education system for their own greed, political gain. Its heartbreaking.

I'm Snort McDork and I approved this message.

"I like birdy num-nums"

DamnYankeeInHouston
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 155

Since retiring after 34 years in public schools, I have taught in a private school for a few years. Having two teachers in a classroom, especially with young kids, makes all the difference in the world. It’s too big a job for one person.  When one kid goes off, the other 25 don’t have a teacher.  And often more than one kid can flip.  In Finland, there are three teachers for a class of sixteen kids.

Yanath
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 1,406

An absolute minimum of two teachers per classroom, highly educated and VERY well paid.

But unfortunately, our culture does not value education as an essential resource for a sophisticated, technologically advanced civilization. It’s a highly illogical attitude, because there is no advancement without it.

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 5,889

Our entire socio-economic system has gone to hell in a hand basket.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Cold Mountain Trail
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,934

poor conditions in so many public schools makes it clear whats happening.

elites talk a lot about kids but its just another profit center to them

and phuq you bill gates and phuq all the rest of the charter school miseducator class

we want what your kids get and that aint computer lessons with a *lab monitor*

I should have included a shout out to “soapy” (amway) devos, our supposed secretary of education, but a mole in reality

may you all be put on the street and forced to live like you force others to live, may your privileges be revoked and annulled and may you face your own evil and tremble

Rex
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 154

I had a minimum of 36 kids per class. 7 periods and no help.

Forcing people to work without pay is akin to slavery.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.