Texas abortion law could hurt Republicans in 2022 midterm elections, experts say

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Texas abortion law could hurt Republicans in 2022 midterm elections, experts say

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      RCW2020
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 685

WASHINGTON – As the United States pulled out of Afghanistan and chaos ensued, Republican lawmakers were swift to condemn President Joe Biden’s handling of the withdrawal.

The violence that erupted in Kabul gave GOP officials an opening to attack the Democratic president, whose approach to the withdrawal was later met with disapproval in national polls. It quickly became political campaign fodder for Republicans who need a net gain of only five seats in the House and one in the Senate to recapture total control of Congress in next year’s midterm elections.

Weeks later, conservatives were handed a victory when the Supreme Court sided with Texas Republicans in not blocking the most restrictive abortion law in the nation – in one of the United States’ largest red states. But, unlike Afghanistan, it was met with a dim response from high-profile conservatives, most of whom didn’t publicly celebrate the law that experts said could spell trouble for congressional Republicans when voters head to the polls next year.

Political strategists and academics pointed to a shifting narrative for people in the “middle” on abortion, and some suggested the new law may tilt too far to the right for even some in the Republican base.

“Republicans have been bleeding support among suburban women throughout the Trump era,” Republican pollster Whit Ayers told USA TODAY. “Texas) makes that problem worse, not better.”

Link to source…

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,202

Because there are ZERO issues being discussed on radio, TV, or the internet media right now, except for this Texas clusterfuck. Nothing about Covid. Nothing about Climate Change. Nothing about those infrastructure bills…. or any other issue that actually matters more – in the big picture –  for the general population, than this one singular issue that both parties have used as a fundraising gimmick for the last 50 years.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

Jim Lane
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 865

@satan

I just went to http://www.nytimes.com.  Big headline there is about Biden’s latest vaccine push, with six smaller articles under it about COVID (all vaccine-related, judging from the headlines).  Under that, three headlines about abortion rights, two expressly mentioning Texas.  Under that, an Afghanistan story, then two gun rights stories.

As for infrastructure, that’s largely flying below the radar now, because several committees are working on their individual pieces of the bill.  At some point, the contention among Democrats (progressives versus Manchin and Blue Dogs, with Schumer and Pelosi trying to herd the cats) will produce a vote or lack thereof, and the issue will be much more in the news.  Also, the Republicans may again block an increase in the debt ceiling, with resulting disruption.

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 21,767

Abortion has been practically illegal in a majority of states for many years, because of all of the restrictions Republican legislatures have added on since at least the 80s. People are used to that.

I’m just guessing here, but I think immediate economic and material concerns will have the most impact on voters this year. Maybe Democrats will be helped out at the state level in some places, like in Texas where they might actually win the House of Representatives if this issue takes hold in the more posh suburbs, but I think it’s too early to start talking about the impact of this favored social issue on the federal House just yet.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

You can jail a revolutionary, but you can't jail the revolution.--Fred Hampton

Hobbit709
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,609

and keep their “Not as bad as the other guy” attitude, they will lose control again.

I don't waste my time teaching pigs to sing.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.