• Update on weirdness

Update on site issues: (1. replies now need a title *and* something in the message box, 2. certain links are causing strange pop-ups on Apple devices, and 3. Some folks can't type anything into the text box.) Basically, a series of unfortunate events set us back on testing. We'll get to it as soon as we can, and hopefully things can get fixed by this weekend if not before.  More info: https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/site-problems-more-info/

Home Topics in Depth Progressive Parties The 2016 Presidential election has left our nation reeling.

• CNW (2492 posts)
    Profile photo of CNW Donor

The 2016 Presidential election has left our nation reeling.

. . an email from Jill Stein
    The 2016 Presidential election has left our nation reeling.

Donald Trump’s shock victory is the result of the massive failure of the corporate two-party system, which imposed a whiteout on progressive and independent campaigns while producing the most disliked and untrusted major-party candidates in history.

This toxic election has delivered a uniquely toxic result: right wing extremists, bigots and blowhards will take control of government starting in January, casting a distressing shadow over our future.

As the two-party system hits rock bottom, momentous grassroots struggles are being waged outside the political establishment: at Standing Rock, in the Black Lives Matter movement, the Fight for 15,and more. In these emerging political spaces, we can make this breaking point for the establishment a tipping point towards a new politics for people, planet, and peace over profit.

Greens are uniquely positioned to help lead the way.

From Dreamers and student debtors to pipeline resisters, people are building their voices and power in the streets. Our campaign was honored to stand with these movements on the frontlines.

Together, we can build a powerful force to resist Trump and reclaim power for the people.

Greens emerged stronger than ever from this election: tripling our vote count from 2012, retaining ballot status in a record number of states, gaining countless new chapters and carrying extraordinary momentum into this year’s local elections season. We can build on the successes of local Greens, from Richmond, CA to New Paltz, NY, to protect our communities against Trump while cultivating the kind of organization and defiant leadership that the American people desperately need.

On January 20th, we will join thousands of people and organizations from around the country in Washington DC to Occupy Inauguration – sending a message to Trump that we reject his illegitimate presidency from the very start.

On January 21st – day one of the Trump administration – we’ll be on Facebook Live with an all-day online forum featuring Greens, social movements, and progressives, sharing resources and inspiration to support resistance and transformation.

We do not consent to Trump’s regime of hate, fear, and corruption.

We will oppose oligarchy with democracy. And we will build an unstoppable movement whose time has come, to put people, planet, and peace over profit. Join us!

Thank you for being the best of 2016.

With deep gratitude,

Jill Stein

NJOCK, Live and Learn like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
11 replies
  • 99thMonkey (3343 posts)
    Profile photo of 99thMonkey Donor

1. The only problem w/ Greens is, it takes ton$ of money and decades

to build a new party, and we have the luxury of neither, at this point in time.

Bernie and Ellison are emerging as the new leadership of the Democrats.  This my friend is as good as it’s going to get.  I am all in with Bernie and Ellison, et. al.

• CNW (2492 posts)
      Profile photo of CNW Donor

3. Yep, that's right. The Green Party which I still support is moving as fast

as molasses. I  think maybe it’s because they have the right message but just aren’t charismatic enough to draw big crowds & big bucks.

Bernie & Ellison are the best for us JPRs, I do support them and our revolution also and hope more people jump on the bandwagon with us.

• 99thMonkey (3343 posts)
        Profile photo of 99thMonkey Donor

4. +10000000000!! n/t

• eridani (1862 posts)
      Profile photo of eridani Donor

5. Not just tons of money, but a massive voter contact operation

Third party candidates can have that and win–see Kshama Sawant and the Seattle City  Council.  Greens seem to be singularly disinterested in this kind of thing.  They are all about platform, not talking to non-policy junkies.

You've heard of the Good Witch of the North and the Wicked Witch of the West, right?  I'm the Morally Ambiguous Witch of the Northwest.
  • djean111 (4147 posts)
    Profile photo of djean111 Donor

2. Still beating the "illegitimate presidency" drum, eh?

That horse is dead, Ms. Stein.  Trump won, Hillary lost, the Russians didn’t hack the election” – whatever the fuck that means.  I will stay unaffiliated, and see what Bernie does.

You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.
    • NJOCK (419 posts)
      Profile photo of NJOCK Donor

6. I will stay Green for now because that's where I went when I demexited

but you are 100% correct djean111!

“The first revolution is when you change your mind about how you look at things, and see there might be another way to look at it that you have not been shown. What you see later on is the results of that, but that revolution, that change that takes place will not be televised.” -Gil Scott-Heron
      • djean111 (4147 posts)
        Profile photo of djean111 Donor

7. Stein buys Trump's "illegitimate presidency", but does not acknowledge

that Hillary stole the nomination –  for me, she is not trustworthy.  Just another tool for the DNC, whether she thinks she is somehow playing a clever game, or not.  I will stay No Party Affiliation (Florida), and while I was going to re-up as a Dem if there is a meaningful primary (29 days before the election) , it looks like the DNC is pretty open now about how primaries don’t count, they pick the candidate.  Kinda how it works here in Florida, anyway.  I am hoping for a new strong party to catch fire like Bernie did.

You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.
        • NJOCK (419 posts)

9. To be honest I did not know Jill was pushing the

“illegitimate presidency”. I guess I was so outraged over what the Dems did I was not paying close enough attention. I went Green because I knew I was voting for Jill after they stole the primary from Bernie. I may have to switch to Independent. Thank you for the heads up.

“The first revolution is when you change your mind about how you look at things, and see there might be another way to look at it that you have not been shown. What you see later on is the results of that, but that revolution, that change that takes place will not be televised.” -Gil Scott-Heron
  • faultindicator (973 posts)
    Profile photo of F I Donor

8. In Jill's letter or in Bernie's statements is the message that needs amplifying

That message is that we as individuals, or we as the small groups created by divisiveness, are powerless. We will never accomplish a better government when a political parties success relies on placating just enough voters to win an election.

The message that needs to be heard from coast to coast and border to border is that we the people must first wrest the power of government from the corporations and the elite, the lobbyists and the donors, and we must do it beginning with localities. In any and all districts voters are going to have to fight for representatives that will fight for them first – if digging earthworms is the only concern for East Ohmi, then East Ohmi voters must demand that their elected officials carry their voice to the mayors chambers and the state houses, and not buy into the bunk that East Ohmi is just like every other part of the state and country. East Ohmi is unique and needs to stand it’s unique ground. The residents have to here that being unique does not give them moral authority of anyone – starting with their neighbor, regardless of ethnicity, religion, color, etc, etc.

With the current two party system the Greens or any other party cannot gain power except through the total collapse of an existing party. Maybe pushing for Tiered Voting could be a good starting point, maybe not. But some unifying message has to reach our ears and we are already getting closer and closer to 2018 campaigns.

A reasonable request: Reduce daily TV viewing time by 1/2 hour starting now. Ask others to do the same, follow through with them, break the media habit. FI - Simple and straight forward, just like this place, solutions without the bullshit.
    • NJOCK (419 posts)

10. Jeez FI right now I think I would vote for you!

Great post.

LETS TALK REVOLUTION!

• faultindicator (973 posts)
        Profile photo of F I Donor

11. We are growing bigger and louder

With enough of us breaking down the barriers it can be done. If only someone could come up with a way that encourages more and more people to cut just half an hour from their televised masters. Maybe use 15 minutes of it searching online for something they heard that day and the other 15 actually talking to their spouse, kids, significant other, or neighbor, or just clearing their head.

A reasonable request: Reduce daily TV viewing time by 1/2 hour starting now. Ask others to do the same, follow through with them, break the media habit. FI - Simple and straight forward, just like this place, solutions without the bullshit.