The Largest Political Donation Took Place in the 2022 Midterms

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | The Largest Political Donation Took Place in the 2022 Midterms

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Snort McDork
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,586

Despite GOP-orchestrated voter suppression and the disenfranchisement of many voters, tens of millions of people exercised their right to vote on November 8, and the 2022 midterms did not usher in the more widespread and acute breakdown of the democratic process that many had feared could occur.

There were no reports of major violence at the polls, for example, and majorities of voters in most states repudiated the election deniers who sought control over state election apparatuses solely to ensure that they could produce GOP electoral college victories even if the electorate had rejected such outcomes at the polls.

Yet even as many of us breathe a sigh of relief that the basic mechanisms of the voting process are still functioning, we must not lose sight of the ongoing crisis at the heart of U.S. democracy: the unprecedented, and largely secretive, role that the super-rich now play in managing U.S. electoral outcomes.

https://truthout.org/articles/the-largest-political-donation-in-us-history-took-place-in-the-2022-midterms/?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=b938b3ee-dec4-4547-bcad-e81d84af42b9

I'm Snort McDork and I approved this message.

"I like Birdy Num-Nums"

If you come for Nina Turner, Your ish better be airtight like Tupperware" -Rashida Talib

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,748

Yes, the choosing between two candidates chosen by big money was very orderly.  That is actually all that “democracy” means in the US now.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

"Sometimes when I try to understand a person's motives, I play a little game. I assume the worst. What's the worst reason they could possibly have for saying what they say and doing what they do? Then I ask myself, 'How well does that reason explain what they say and what they do?'" GRRM

A YouTube comment – we need new conspiracy theories – the old ones have all come true.

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 25,004

Only philosophical idealists think it is somehow alive just because they believe in it. If that sounds like religion, it’s because it is.

Never let your morals stop you from doing the right thing.--Isaac Asimov

The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.--Julius Nyerere

Snort McDork
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,586

I'm Snort McDork and I approved this message.

"I like Birdy Num-Nums"

If you come for Nina Turner, Your ish better be airtight like Tupperware" -Rashida Talib

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.