"three weeks since The Guardian published the fabricated Assange-Manafort story"
- Total Posts: 4,911
It has now been three weeks since The Guardian published the fabricated Assange-Manafort story.
– The Guardian’s fabrication has real-world, dangerous ramifications for Julian Assange’s legal situation: In a letter led by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, US lawmakers have utilized “media reports” that “Paul Manafort visited Julian Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, including as recently as March 2016” to ask Sec. of State Mike Pompeo to demand from his Ecuadorian counterpart “the complete, unedited log of Julian Assange’s visitors at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London be made availabla to all ongoing U.S. investigations”, “any security camera footage or other electronic media that was maintained by the Ecuadorian Government to supplement the visitor logs” and “the status of the Ecuadorian Government’s discussions with the British Government regarding Julian Assange”, adding “it is imperative that [Assange’s presence in the Ecuadorian Embassy] be resolved swiftly” https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein/status/1072977963421978625
– The former First Secretary at Ecuador’s London embassy and consul, Fidel Narváez, said in an interview with the Real News Network’s Ben Norton that The Guardian’s Manafort-Assange report is false. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HimlwWHPRco
– Norton has also commented on the story’s hidden 3rd co-author, Fernando Villavicencio: “Guardian reporters Luke Harding and Dan Collyns co-authored this bogus story with opposition activist Fernando Villavicencio, who has close ties to the US and who Ecuador said previously doctored a document that was irresponsibly published by The Guardian “Ecuadorian opposition activist and Guardian contributor Villavicencio runs an “investigative journalism” site that churns out nonstop propaganda against Correa, the left, and @WikiLeaks.” https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1075066876173213698
– Former Guardian reporter Glenn Greenwald tweeted his email to Guardian editor-in-chief Katharine Viner, asking several questions about the story, its lack of evidence, and Narvaez’s comments: https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1072484810336161793
He added: “I’d like to ask again: how can a news outlet like @guardian possibly expect credibility when it demands transparency and accountability from other powerful institutions when it stonewalls and ignores all public inquiries in a case like this? They’re stonewalling more than GCHQ. If you care about the loss of faith in news outlets & the ability of demagogues to attack journalism as Fake News, then you should be most vocal about demanding that outlets like @guardian avoid this kind of behavior, that feeds that distrust and lends credence to those attacks.”
– WikiLeaks editor-in-chief Kristinn Hrafnsson commented on the lack of response as well: https://twitter.com/khrafnsson/status/1075058796400177152 “Three weeks since @guardian killed its reputation with Manafort-met-Assange fabrication. It has neither retracted nor tried to defend the story. No word from the journalists nor the editor @KathViner. Don´t think I’ve experienced anything as pathetic in my 30 yrs as a journalist.”
– Alan MacLeod has written for FAIR: Misreporting Manafort: A Case Study in Journalistic Malpractice https://fair.org/home/misreporting-manafort-a-case-study-in-journalistic-malpractice/ MacLeod spoke about the piece in an interview with journalist Slava Zilber: https://soundcloud.com/conversationswithslava/punching-down-the-mainstream-media-and-julian-assange#t=2:37
– Meanwhile, Der Spiegel has investigated its own scandal and admitted the deception to its readers: https://t.co/QylwAn8PUn
– Independent journalist and author Matt Kennard has pointed out that one of the authors of the Manafort-Assange fabrication, Luke Harding, has fallen silent since the publication of the story.
“Where’s the @guardian’s Luke Harding? He hasn’t published a story for three weeks. Has he been put on gardening leave after the fabricated frontpage Assange-Manafort story? #fakenews #boycotttheguardian”
– Finally, @AssangeLegal notes that The Guardian’s Media Group endowment and cash holdings total £1.01 billion, a reminder of what WikiLeaks is up against.
WikiLeaks ’s legal team is in discussions with libel lawyers and needs all the help it can get. Thank you for your donations thus far, and please continue to share articles and links about the fabricated article, as well as this GoFundMe link as widely as you can.
Help spread the word!
Moderators, please note the last sentence, “Help spread the word!”. I don’t think the four paragraph rule applies in cases like this. Caitlin Johnstone also includes a “please share” to her posts.
That was fun. So, the best way to get around the internet censors and make sure you see the stuff I publish is to subscribe to the mailing list for my website, which will get you an email notification for everything I publish. My articles are entirely reader-supported, so if you enjoyed this piece please consider sharing it around, liking me on Facebook, following my antics on Twitter, throwing some money into my hat on Patreon or Paypal, purchasing some of my sweet new merchandise, buying my new book Rogue Nation: Psychonautical Adventures With Caitlin Johnstone, or my previous book Woke: A Field Guide for Utopia Preppers.
December 19, 2018 at 8:05 PM #2618
December 19, 2018 at 9:15 PM #2647
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.