US election 2020: Beto O'Rourke breaks fundraising record

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | US election 2020: Beto O'Rourke breaks fundraising record

• Author

Cold Mountain Trail
    • Total Posts: 5,674
    @coldmountaintrail

In his first day of campaigning as a presidential candidate, Texas Democrat Beto O’Rourke raised $6.1m (£4.6m), the largest of any 2020 candidate so far.

The rising star’s online fundraising haul managed to beat Senator Bernie Sanders’ record of $5.9m last month in the first 24 hours of his campaign.

Like other Democrats, Mr O’Rourke has refused to take any money from special interest lobby groups or corporations.

The 46-year-old is one of 15 Democrats now in a bid for the White House.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-47615526

So what happened?  First he wasn’t going to release the #s, now he has.  What’s that about, & do you buy this?

Here’s the NYT after Bernie’s 24 hours:

Bernie Sanders Raises $6 Million After Announcing Presidential Bid

Somewhere along the way Bernie lost a million and an unknown who couldn’t beat Ted Cruz outfundraises Bernie without ‘special interest’ or corporate money?

Color me skeptical.

On edit:  I hadn’t seen this when I posted; sounds like skepticism is warranted:

• VIDEO • “The Rational National”—‘Beto 2020 Conceals Key Details Of Fundraising Record’

On edit:  or this, which has even more info:

ZERO Info About WHERE Beto Raised His Money From, The Average Donor and From Which State. Other Campaigns Released That Info. Not Him

OK, I’m pretty convinced ‘beto’ is a fraud.

On edit:  and this clinches it:

Bete O'Rourke raises gobs of money

whispers
    • Total Posts: 231
    @whispers

People are actually giving money to this guy??  That is hard to believe!!!

emme
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 242
    @emme

No, Beto didn’r raise that much out  of the gate.  See this JPR thread in Elections-President:

Bete O'Rourke raises gobs of money

Now that this has happened, my guess is the reason he would not give fundraising totals when asked was he knew his  new donor money was paltry, and this transfer from the TX Dems was being worked out.

My question is—-when he transferred that money to the state party after his failed Senate race, were they expecting to return it if he ran for President?  Or is this a mad  scramble to show him raising more than Sanders?

Bottom line is Beto raised around $1.5-$1.6 mil.  Or about what you would expect for someone polling at 5%.

Ohio Barbarian
    • Total Posts: 9,001
    @ohiobarbarian

Beto’s campaign, which doesn’t even have an official campaign manager yet, has not announced how many donors there were, unlike Bernie’s which did after a day. Beto has taken a full week to say this much.

I smell spin. Corrupt, Vichy Democrat, DU Rah Rah spin.

We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

With Bernie Sanders, we have the receipts. --Nina Turner

Cold Mountain Trail
    • Total Posts: 5,674
    @coldmountaintrail

Thanks @emme that was very helpful.

I posted mine before I read anything else, now I see discussion was already well-underway before I came in lol

xloadiex
    • Total Posts: 107
    @xloadiex

I read on Caucus99 that the word on twitter is he donated 4.6 million from his failed senate bid.

I was looking for some tweets but I’m at a total loss on twitter.

ZimInSeattle
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 1,237
    @ziminseattle

Vichy Dem (VD) + Group of Parasites (GOP) = Plutocratic Uniparty (PU) PU slogan for the 99%: "Consume and Be Happy!" "The more I see of the moneyed people, the more I understand the guillotine" - George Bernard Shaw

ZimInSeattle
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 1,237
    @ziminseattle

Bobbie O’Rourke is a crook. Just like Killary.

Vichy Dem (VD) + Group of Parasites (GOP) = Plutocratic Uniparty (PU) PU slogan for the 99%: "Consume and Be Happy!" "The more I see of the moneyed people, the more I understand the guillotine" - George Bernard Shaw

leftcoast mountains
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 2,949
    @leftcoastmountains

Well maybe we will find out and maybe not. I read that the transfer of funds happened a while back BEFORE he announced his candidacy. But who knows? I also read he’s using Hillary’s bundling man.

#NoMiddleGround #I AM BERNIE

Pam2
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 3,879
    @pam2

Looking forward to Bozo O’Rourke and the rest of the clowns dropping out. How long will we have to wait? Until after the first primary?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.