US to reduce troop presence in Iraq from 5,200 to 3,000

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Latest Breaking News | US to reduce troop presence in Iraq from 5,200 to 3,000

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 16,203

(France24) The Pentagon will slash the level of US troops in Iraq to 3,000 this month, a senior general said Wednesday, as President Donald Trump seeks to honour a pledge to withdraw from foreign conflicts.

“In consultation and coordination with the Government of Iraq and our coalition partners, the United States has decided to reduce our troop presence in Iraq from about 5,200 to 3,000 troops during the month of September,” said General Kenneth McKenzie, the head of the US military’s Central Command.

The US troops were deployed in Iraq in 2014 to fight the Islamic State (IS) group after the Iraqi army fled the battlefields around Mosul and the northern Iraqi city fell to jihadist control. Officials in the US-led coalition say Iraqi forces are now mostly able to handle the remnants of IS group on their own.

McKenzie said the US was committed to its “ultimate goal” of an Iraq where local forces alone can prevent the IS group from returning and secure “Iraq’s sovereignty without external assistance”.

Full story here

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,034
      Ohio Barbarian

@jbnw I really miss the facepalm smiley. The last President to really deserve the Nobel Peace Prize was Jimmy Carter.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Captain Arizona
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 210

Hopefully he will spend his time ending wars and stop doing the other stuff. HOPE! And I hope democrat leadership will stop being war mongers. HOPE!

ThouArtThat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,624

@ohiobarbarian

Hi ob,

Let’s hope he follows through as any reductions are welcome regardless of political optics.

With confidence I suggest Biden/Harris and the Vichy Dems would never follow a similar path.

TAT

Rights aren't rights if someone can take them away. They're privileges.
      That's all we've ever had in this country, is a bill of temporary privileges.

- George Carlin

Sooner or later we all sit down to a banquet of consequences.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Politics is the entertainment division of the Military Industrial Complex.

- Frank Zappa

roody
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 433
      Ohio Barbarian

@roody A military invasion would result in maybe 50% casualties in aircraft, at least initially. The Pentagon likes to pick on countries whose conventional forces can’t defend themselves. They wouldn’t do it for Trump–that’s why Bolton quit or got fired–they won’t do it for Biden, either. They’d find an easier target for him somewhere. Maybe in Africa or something.

Some place with a coast and no anti-ship missiles or air defense system to speak of.

Fasttense
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,038

So, I suspect even Biden doesn’t want a war with Russia.

Soon, Trump is going to be too busy fighting American citizens to fight any more wars. He’s already killed 200,000 of us by doing nothing and his blood thirst is not satiated yet.

jerry611
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 944
      JonLP
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,316

As far as military deployments. Boko Haram kidnapped children and they are still kidnapped as far as I know. They also ignored problems in the Central African Republic.

A lot of it comes down to economics at the end of the day and nothing to do with human rights. US oil companies want contracts in Venezuela but I think Trump’s actions made Venezuela more difficult to overthrow.

JonLP
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,316

I don’t think there would be a direct conflict with Russia over Venezuela much like there wasn’t over Syria.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.