Va. Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax denies s ex assault allegation from 2004 (WaPo)

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | Latest Breaking News | Va. Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax denies s ex assault allegation from 2004 (WaPo)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Babel 17
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,402

https://tinyurl.com/y9y7onmb

By Theresa Vargas
      February 4 at 4:40 PM
      Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax issued a statement early Monday denying a s exual assault allegation that appeared on the same conservative website that posted a racist photograph from Gov. Ralph Northam’s medical school yearbook page.

“Lt. Governor Fairfax has an outstanding and well-earned reputation for treating people with dignity and respect,” read the statement from his chief of staff and communications director. “He has never assaulted anyone — ever — in any way, shape or form.”

The statement came after the online publication, Big League Politics, ran a story under the headline: “UPDATE: Stanford Fellow Hints At Possible Justin Fairfax S ex Assault.”

The story was based on a private Facebook post from the woman, which the publication said it had obtained from a friend of hers who had permission to share it.

P.S.

This story was updated at 4:40 p.m. to reflect the following: The woman involved in the encounter with Fairfax has hired a lawyer; that Fairfax spoke to reporters after an initial written statement; that Fairfax issued another statement; and a Post response to the second statement.

Babel 17
      Participant

“at one point she realized she could not move her neck. She said Fairfax used his strength to force her to perform oral s ex.”

Fairfax has claimed that the WaPo had in the past dismissed her story as not being credible. The WaPo denies that, saying that instead it was a matter of there being no corroborative witnesses.

He doesn’t deny they had s ex, he says it was consensual. But what she’s alleging amounts to a charge of rape, and I don’t see a civil settlement as being acceptable to virtually anyone. So the question is if/when her lawyer will take to this to the police, and to go in front of the cameras. Given how closely tied this is to the situation of the Governor being pressed to resign, this could be a huge story if her lawyer presses forward in a big way.

Babel 17
      Participant

Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax of Virginia Denounces S exual Assault Allegation as a ‘Smear’

https://tinyurl.com/ya8327y2

By Jonathan Martin

Feb. 4, 2019

RICHMOND, Va. — Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax of Virginia emphatically denied on Monday a woman’s claim that he s exually assaulted her in 2004, suggesting that Gov. Ralph Northam’s supporters were trying to block his ascent to the governorship at a moment when Mr. Northam is besieged by demands that he resign over charges of racism.

“Does anybody think it’s any coincidence that on the eve of potentially my being elevated that that’s when this uncorroborated smear comes out?” Mr. Fairfax told reporters surrounding him in the rotunda of the state Capitol about whether he believes Mr. Northam, a fellow Democrat, was behind the accusation’s coming to light. He offered no evidence tying the Northam camp to the allegation.

Just hours after The Washington Post published a story on Monday outlining the woman’s allegation — that Mr. Fairfax assaulted her soon after they had met in Boston at the Democratic National Convention — the lieutenant governor said that he and the woman had had what he called “a 100 percent consensual” s exual encounter.

“We hit it off, she was very interested in me, and so eventually, at one point, we ended up going to my hotel room,” Mr. Fairfax, 39, said, recounting in a measured voice what he said had happened in 2004.

Babel 17
      Participant

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/va-lt-gov-justin-fairfax-denies-sex-assault-allegation-from-2004/2019/02/04/05fb0f6c-272b-11e9-ad53-824486280311_story.html

By Theresa Vargas
      February 4 at 4:40 PM

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax issued a statement early Monday denying a se xual assault allegation that appeared on the same conservative website that posted a racist photograph from Gov. Ralph Northam’s medical school yearbook page.

“Lt. Governor Fairfax has an outstanding and well-earned reputation for treating people with dignity and respect,” read the statement from his chief of staff and communications director. “He has never assaulted anyone — ever — in any way, shape or form.”

The statement came after the online publication, Big League Politics, ran a story under the headline: “UPDATE: Stanford Fellow Hints At Possible Justin Fairfax Sex Assault.”

The story was based on a private Facebook post from the woman, which the publication said it had obtained from a friend of hers who had permission to share it.

P.S.

This story was updated at 4:40 p.m. to reflect the following: The woman involved in the encounter with Fairfax has hired a lawyer; that Fairfax spoke to reporters after an initial written statement; that Fairfax issued another statement; and a Post response to the second statement.

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,568

I suppose the Democrats will demand Fairfax resign. All are guilty until proven… Well, all are guilty, period. They’re guilty because, otherwise, why would someone accuse them?

emme
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 305

Interesting.  First Northam’s blackface photos from the 1980s surface, now this.

Seems “opposition research” now days consists of crawling through social media and old school yearbooks (now online for most schools, therefore easy to access) looking for dirt.  Once found, it gets trotted out in the media when it can do the most  damage.

All sorts of people run around with their hair on fire for a few days;  then dirt on someone else comes out. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Meanwhile discussions about stuff like Medicare for All, raising the minimum wage. fixing our deteriorating infrastructure get sidelined.  Sometimes, it seems almost intentional to insure not much ever gets accomplished to benefit the 99%.

Babel 17
      Participant

The trifecta has been hit.

Virginia Attorney General Says He Also Dressed in Blackface

By Jonathan Martin and Alan Blinder
      Feb. 6, 2019

RICHMOND, Va. — Attorney General Mark R. Herring of Virginia acknowledged Wednesday that he put on blackface and wore a wig while an undergraduate of the University of Virginia in 1980, becoming the second statewide official here in the last week to admit to imitating an African-American person and sending an already-stunned Capitol reeling.

Mr. Herring released a statement saying that he dressed like the rapper Kurtis Blow, an acknowledgment that instantly deepened a crisis in the state’s Democratic Party. The governor, Ralph Northam, under siege over a racist photo in his medical school yearbook, admitted last week that he once blackened his face as part of a Michael Jackson costume. Just two days later, Lt. Gov. Justin E. Fairfax, the other one of Virginia’s three statewide officials, faced an allegation of s-exual assault, which he denied.

“Because of our ignorance and glib attitudes — and because we did not have an appreciation for the experiences and perspectives of others — we dressed up and put on wigs and brown makeup,” Mr. Herring said in a statement on Wednesday.

Alluding to the image from Mr. Northam’s yearbook that has engulfed the governor in turmoil, Mr. Herring added: “That I have contributed to the pain Virginians have felt this week is the greatest shame I have ever felt.” He said he was “deeply, deeply sorry” but did not indicate if he would remain in office.

The State’s AG gets the job if both the Governor, and Lt. Governor, were to disappear. So I guess the hope is twofold. 1) The Governor improves on his messaging regarding what he actually did do, and no more embarrassing revelations come out about his time in school. That’s a powerful wish given the apparent attitudes of that time and place. 2) The Lt. Governor’s accuser stays in the background and/or disqualifies herself. If the Governor gets pushed out due to the influence of the party, then the scrutiny on the Lt. Governor/new Governor would become intense. That his possible successor has a big problem would lend a circus of the macabre vibe to the whole thing.

The nightmare of it all is that this easily could be a case of either giving a pass to, at a minimum, dressing in blackface at a time when a classmates dressed as Klansman, or not giving a pass to that, but giving a pass to his successor who has a college professor accusing him of s=exual assault/rape in the past.

And I’ll just throw this out there, but with Bernie Sanders leading the party there’d be no confusion in how things would be, moving forward. Stuff would get dealt with, promptly. Same thing if Tulsi were President. The current party establishment has way too much hypocrisy regarding what gets a pass if you’re Her, or a member of the inner circle.

Babel 17
      Participant

Fairfax Accuser Details What She Says Happened

“With tremendous anguish, I am now sharing this information about my experience and setting the record straight. It has been extremely difficult to relive that traumatic experience from 2004. Mr. Fairfax has tried to brand me as a liar to a national audience, in service to his political ambitions, and has threatened litigation. Given his false assertions, I’m compelled to make clear what happened.”

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000168-c430-d6c0-a7ea-d43ce1560002

Her full statement is going to leave a lot of normally wordy people nonplussed.

Babel 17
      Participant

Mr. Fairfax has forcefully denied her allegations; NBC News reported on Wednesday that he used an obscenity to describe Dr. Tyson as he sought to discredit her during a private State Senate caucus meeting Monday.

Babel 17
      Participant

Jonathan Allen‏Verified account @jonallendc

Justin Fairfax said “f*ck that b*tch” as he tried to discredit his accuser during a private meeting Monday night, sources tell @NBCNews’ @GeoffRBennett and me.

Babel 17
      Participant
      Babel 17
      Participant

Democrats have tread carefully with the allegation against Fairfax, with many declining to comment or saying that they take the accusation seriously and are monitoring the situation.

But after Tyson shared her story Wednesday, U.S. Rep. Robert C. “Bobby” Scott (D-Va.), the dean of the Virginia congressional delegation, released a statement in her support.

“Allegations of s e x u a l assault need to be taken seriously,” Scott said. “I have known Professor Tyson for approximately a decade and she is a friend. She deserves the opportunity to have her story heard.”

Rep. Jennifer Wexton (D-Va.) also voiced her support of Tyson, tweeting that she believed her.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/2019/02/06/daed33aa-2a30-11e9-b2fc-721718903bfc_story.html

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.