Warren’s 2020 agenda: Break up monopolies, give workers control over corporations, fight drug companies

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Warren’s 2020 agenda: Break up monopolies, give workers control over corporations, fight drug companies

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Charles
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,605

A policy guide to the Massachusetts Democrat running for the White House

By Jeff Stein –  December 31 2018

~Snip~

Worker power over corporations. Warren’s Accountable Capitalism Act, introduced this summer, is perhaps her most distinctive contribution to the field of progressive U.S. policy making.

Most significantly, the plan would require large U.S. corporations to have 40 percent of their board of directors selected by company employees. This proposal aims to help redirect trillions of dollars to American workers, as labor’s share of national income has continued to fall despite rising corporate profits over the past several decades.

~Snip~

Stiffen prosecutions of white-collar crimes. Warren was the architect of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, a watchdog that Democrats have touted as key to protecting Americans from predatory aspects of the financial industry but that Republicans have decried as an activist agency unchecked by Congress.

~snip~

Nationalize health insurance, institute a $15-an-hour minimum wage. But while many of her policies stop short of having the government federalize parts of the private sector, Warren has also embraced many of the ideas that align with the left….

Read more:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/12/31/warrens-agenda-break-up-monopolies-give-workers-control-over-corporations-fight-big-pharma/?utm_term=.879f0e3dd9fa

————————————————————————————–

For what it’s worth I’ve been trying to reply in other Warren threads with background information but the hamsters won’t let my posts go through so I started this thread as it relates to those posts raising questions about what Warren’s policy positions are.

(The hamsters are very stingy on allowing more than one link in a post as well so sorry for the lack of sources for the info below:)

Some other info:

Warren also was on board with Bernie for tuition free college. (For those that would like to learn more and see sources: Google keywords “Elizabeth Warren college tuition”)

Warren has been very outspoken about Yemen and though she voted for the last military budget has been campaigning on reducing the bloated budget, clearly stating no new nuclear weapons, and pulling troops out of Afghanistan.

Warren’s Anti-Corruption and Public Integrity Act has plenty in it that would help to mitigate corruption in our government by closing the revolving door for politicians, require income disclosures, multi year ban on federal employees from lobbying, prohibit corporate lobbyists from taking government jobs , strengthen enforcement in these areas etc etc,

Warren’s Accountable Capitalism Act would require every very large corporations to get a federal charter, have workers occupy 40% of corporate boards like Germany does, restricts sale of shares by company directors and officers, prohibits companies from making political expenditures without 75% approval directors and shareholders, and permits the federal government to revoke the charter of US corporations who repeatedly engage in illegal conduct.

Warren also wants to allow the US government to make generic drugs to combat the soaring price of prescription drugs.

Warren may not be perfect but she is Bernie’s best ally in the Senate and she’s been putting a lot of effort into crafting legislation that would benefit the American people.

Bernie: "Not Me. Us"

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 5,889

Well, she’s definitely ramping up her “campaign.”

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

closeupready
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 1,564

Yet another example of what a wimp Elizabeth Warren really is.

The opinions and personal views expressed herein are solely those of the author, and should never be taken seriously.

djean111
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 4,675

would do better to wait until Bernie says what he is going to do, at least here at JPR.    I think Warren would be a good VP for Bernie, but I would never choose her over Bernie.   She is a capitalist, loves the markets, and I think gives lip service to social issues at best.   And I don’t  think I will be voting for a Democrat if Bernie is not their candidate.  Of course, the whole primary system is corrupt, so a lot of the candidate shilling seems kind of pointless.

Charles
          Participant

including their records, issues, policies, and their actions.

Just like many of Bernie’s issues many of  Warren’s issues are worth supporting IMO whether she is the nominee or not. I would love to see a new Glass-Steagall Act like Warren has been pushing for. Bernie supports this effort as well. Her Anti-Corruption and Responsible Capitalism bills are worth understanding and discussing also.

Whether we are fortunate enough to get Bernie or Warren nominated remains to be seen. I prefer Bernie but Warren is a strong 2nd choice for me.

I also like Tulsi Gabbard but don’t think she has that strong of a chance. Still I hope she runs because of some of the foreign policy issues she would bring to the discussion. There are some that I may disagree with but overall she is very much against the endless wars. She is also the only person in congress who went to Standing Rock. That was big and very important.

Bernie is awesome but if we are ever going to have true progressive change it’s going to take a lot of progressives. I see nothing wrong in highlighting the goals of progressives who support Medicare For All,  refuse to take money from corporate Pacs, support a living wage,  support debt free college, are fighting to combat climate change etc etc.

We need as many strong progressive allies as we can get. I don’t care what party they are from. Currently though there aren’t any Greens in office to support. There is no one in the GOP that even comes close to being worthy of support. There aren’t enough true progressives in the Democratic party but so far that’s the only place any exist.

So that’s my mission I guess. Get as many progressives elected as possible and get as much progressive legislation passed as possible.

rudycantfail
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 268

a selective memory block app.

Woman Hear Me Roar!!
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 62

Her words are the things we here all support.  I did once adore Warren and oft times I forget how swell she is.

How does on overlook her support of Hillary?  Particularly when Bernie was a viable choice!!

How does one reconcile Warren’s silence over the pipeline abuse and rape of our beloved mother Earth.   For me she must answer these questions.

Finally women are being heard...finally women are roaring.....

djean111
      Participant

unless those lucky worker are just going to pull the same bloated salaries as other board members.  There is not anything listed that, IMO, US corporations could not maneuver around while drinking champagne.  Reminds me of the DNC keeping super-delegates for the second round – let the manipulation begin.

ThouArtThat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,843

Fundamentally, capitalism is incompatible with climate change.  Without a complete restructuring of economic paradigms, climate change cannot be successfully addressed.

Why?  Simple.  70% of all CO2 is emitted by the wealthiest 20% of world citizens.  And of that 70%, fully 50% is emitted by the wealthiest 10%.  That includes most citizens from Europe, Japan, Australia, Parts of China and most importantly America.  In other words, without drastic changes to address carbon consumption and CO2 emissions, the problem will simply be kicked down the road.

What Warren is proposing is a progressive agenda rooted in a carbon-based society from the 1970s.  A fine pipe dream from a bygone ear of 40 years ago.  What is needed are taxes that level the carbon consumption playing field.  This means reducing uber wealth to the level of average citizens within Europe, Japan, Australia, Parts of China and America.  And those taxes extracted from the top would then pay for structural changes to western industrial societies necessary to go zero carbon emissions in twenty years or less.

Continuing with the fundamental structures of capitalism tweaked to meet political agendas just won’t do.  Why?  Simple.  If wealth is left in place, the uber rich will simply pay more for energy while maintaining their destructive carbon consumption and CO2 emissions habits.  And since the uber rich are the worst emitters this simply won’t do if climate change is to be tackled.  So, Senator Warren, nice try but not good enough.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

- P.C. Hodgell

The essence of normality is the refusal of reality.

- Ernest Becker

Politics is the entertainment division of the Military Industrial Complex.

- Frank Zappa

Rights aren't rights if someone can take them away. They're privileges.

- George Carlin

Sooner or later we all sit down to a banquet of consequences.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

djean111
        Participant

The trickle-down effect – which just does not happen here, things have gotten too big and too corrupt.  All I say is IMO, of course!

Charles
          Participant

https://berniesanders.com/issues/reforming-wall-street/

——————————————————————————

If you couple Warren’s Accountable Capitalism Act with her Anti-Corruption & Public Integrity Act and her plan for a New Glass-Steagall Sanders and Warrens over all plans and goals are very similar.

Warren has also called for similar taxes on business and breaking up the banks as well.

Many things including a tax on Wall Street to make college debt free have been promoted jointly by Sanders and Warren.

The names and wording may be different but the policy objectives are very similar.

ravensong
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,222

Bernie is my choice, but I would vote for Senator Warren in a heartbeat to get Mr. Corrupt Scary Crazy out of the WH.

“A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority.” ~ Booker T. Washington

The truth is, there’s no such thing as being “anti-Fascist.” Either you are a decent human being with a conscience, or you are a fascist.
      ~ Unknown

peacecorps
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 2,131

I will support Bernie. If Warren were to win the nomination instead, she would be progressive enough to justify my vote over the proto-fascist in the White House.

The Big Lie: "Make the lie big, Make it simple, Keep saying it, And eventually they will believe it." AH.

"Arguments must therefore be crude, clear and forcible, and appeal to emotions and instincts, not the intellect." JG

National issues (slavery/racism, income inequality, pandemics and pathetic health care, weak unions) are not solved with more states' rights. Global problems (climate change, migration, trade, war, pandemics) are not solved with more nationalism.

JustSayin
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 535

I can only wish that were true. I remember voting for a black guy that won a NOBEL who claimed to stand by the workers wearing a soft shoe and all he did were endless wars and helping the banksters plunder. No THANKS

Never expect different result by following the previous steps

Bluesuedeshoes
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 591

It would not surprise me if she were in cahoots with Shrill Hill

to derail Sanders and pave the way for major Hillary cheating.

She screwed us once. No more.

Greg Lapalina

Charles
        Participant

No other Senator or Congressperson went as far as Warren to say such a thing even if she had to walk it back.

And as far as working for progressive issues and speaking out on them she’s second only to Bernie in the Senate.

Bernie isn’t a one man answer to the world. He’s going to need allies. That doesn’t mean not holding politicians accountable or over looking issues and events but it does mean keeping some perspective if progressive values are ever going to be achieved.

It’s fine to criticize Warren but to claim she’s a Clinton shill designed to sabotage Bernie is really a stretch IMO….

ThouArtThat
          Participant

eom

- P.C. Hodgell

- Ernest Becker

- Frank Zappa

- George Carlin

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Charles
            Participant

AOC is awesome but she ended up supporting Pelosi for Speaker of the House.

Politics is a messy business.

If we can’t look at a person for their overall record and efforts then one might as well give up because ALL politicians will fail us at some point in their career….

ThouArtThat
              Participant

We live in a different world and the approaches of yesteryear are just that – yesteryear approaches.

Resource scarcity and climate change will require massive levels of commitment and sacrifice to solve such that we just don’t have time for position jockeying and horse trading.

We have run out of time.

- P.C. Hodgell

- Ernest Becker

- Frank Zappa

- George Carlin

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Charles
                Participant

So far though I’m not hearing about them. Bernie is very good but I haven’t seen him promote anything like what you are saying needs to be done.

https://berniesanders.com/issues/climate-change/

Yes, the Greens maybe but they haven’t been able to get a single person into office nationally. Hopefully they will in 2020 but so far they have none. But even then it’s extremely improbable that they can win at the presidential level. They may win some congressional races but I can’t even see them winning a Senate seat unfortunately. There just isn’t enough grass roots support for the party yet.

So until there are better choices we can either work to get the best current politicians elected, vote for ideal candidates who probably have little chance at the presidential level to get elected, or just let the GOP make it much worse.

If there are viable  other options for the presidency I’m all ears.

doh1304
              Participant
              • Total Posts: 1,318

Saying to “look at the total body of work” or such phrasing is dangerously like what Patreon said to justify unpersoning Sargon. It is about to be twisted into searching obscure, ancient, and unprepared statements for ammunition to denounce people. The cultural revolution is coming.

Pastiche
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 370

“We’re about to have an election in which Incompetent A is going to be contesting with Incompetent B when both of them have demonstrated nothing remotely like any shred of adequacy to the scope of the problems we face.”

Richard Wolff

incognito
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,053

even though she has Native American blood running through her veins…not a effing peep from her during the brutalization of her brothers and sisters.

Also…

On September 18, Elizabeth Warren, the much beloved poster child of the “progressive” wing of the Democratic Party, voted for a bill that authorizes $700 billion in defense funds.

She’s no Progressive and she sure as Hades won’t get my vote…ever.

sonofspy777
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,454

in the ocean!

The time is past for mere milquetoast mumbling!

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
      ~Samuel Clemens

a little weird
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 706

She would certainly be better than Biden, Harris, Booker, Clinton, and their ilk but I don’t see her as a progressive torch bearer.  Still, I like some of what she’s saying and I’m glad she’s out there saying it.  The more we talk about things like a $15 minimum wage and other progressive causes, the more mainstream those ideas become.

Cold Mountain Trail
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,927

informed about the people theyre voting on, and know how to use those people to get their own demands met — which most ordinary workers at corporations don’t know how to do — there’s so many ways for management to game this.

Mick063
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 578

We can’t change 40 years of Oligarchy political dominance overnight and what Warren proposes is DRASTIC compared to what the Clinton wing of the Democratic Party would  deem acceptable.

We have to be politically realistic. We have to do what is politically viable. Short of armed insurrection, we are not going to get revolutionary changes overnight, and indeed, with respect to the current political power of the oligarchy, Warrens proposals are almost revolutionary.

To be collectively viable at a national level, we have to accept victories when they occur and celebrate whenever we can move the needle back toward representative politics. Wisely pick and chose our battles. We have to think of incremental changes, real changes, over decades, and I’m not talking about Hillary’s or Pelosi’s interpretation of fake incrementalism (kabuki theatre). This is the same method that the oligarchs used to destroy the New Deal, and we can see that a few victories can snowball over time, with changes accelerating with each election cycle of political dominance. Further, it is going to take a coalition within a majority of voters to get real changes and we can be easily written off as far too radical by demanding no less than the moon in a single election cycle.

It took years to get us here. We can’t undo decades of assault on FDR’s vision overnight. It is going to take years to get us back to FDR’s vision. This is political reality.

"I welcome their hatred" Franklin D Roosevelt

djean111
        Participant

for the blue no matter who in the general election?  And in a few decades things might get better?  Just sit down and STFU?  If the DEMOCRATS vote YES on PAYGO, I won’t be voting for a blue.  No matter who.

Really, all we CAN do is vote in rigged primaries and general elections.  The legislative process is pretty much totally disconnected from what people want after that.  Except asking us for money and cannon fodder, of course.

On a personal note, after what the DNC has done, my enthusiasm is completely gone.  A difference between the FDR period and now is that now we can see the corrupt mechanisms.  In fact, the corrupt mechanisms are proudly displayed, IMO.   And the DNC sneers that as a private corporation it can select the candidate it wants regardless of the votes.  So now, for me, it is like watching a scripted reality show based on Animal Farm.

Cold Mountain Trail
      Participant
      Cold Mountain Trail
      Participant

and immediately realized it probably meant Report Post — but I didn’t mean to report your post and apologize in advance, sorry.

Two way street
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,836

What are Warren’s Western Hemisphere and Eastern Hemisphere Policies?  Progressives are against regime change wars and for spending our money in our country to help our citizens.  The procedure for sending billions of dollars to Israel needs to stop.

2020 Campaign Season: We the People are in the fight for our lives and livelihoods.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.