Will Bernie Sanders Be Our President in 2020?

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Will Bernie Sanders Be Our President in 2020?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ZimInSeattle
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,697

by Nick Pemberton

The 2016 Presidential election had two starkly different primaries. Inspired by hatred of Barack Obama, every Republican, big hands and small, came out to run. The 17 candidates in the field were all, at least relatively speaking, establishment candidates, save one Donald J. Trump. We now know, and we should have seen then, that Donald Trump was quite establishment, if not the most establishment candidate in the race. Elections are won on perception though, and everything about this shiny old orange toy seemed different.

If you liked the old guard your vote was split between many establishment candidates. There were a few Trump lite candidates (Carly Florina and Ben Carson), but Trump stood pretty much alone. The Republican establishment never wanted Trump to get elected, but he was hard to stop simply because he was the clear favorite. The establishment Republicans split their own vote. If the only two real candidates in the race were say, Marco Rubio and Trump, Trump may have lost.

Such was the case for the rigged 2016 Democratic primary between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. The Democrats didn’t hate Obama, they wanted someone to succeed him. And while I am convinced the Obamas never liked the racist bully Clinton machine, the neoliberal mold was much the same. The agreement within the party was to let Hillary win. So no one who mattered bothered running. And everyone who mattered endorsed Hillary. Bernie Sanders didn’t matter much, but he, one of the few politicians in Washington who could see the disastrous implications of Obama style mediocrity, decided to run anyways.

Bernie Sanders soon became much more popular than Hillary Clinton because his politics benefited the majority of the American public. Bernie was a very refreshing political figure. He spoke out explicitly against poverty. He wanted health care for all Americans. He offered all Americans a living wage and a chance to go to college for free. Bernie was not so much radical as he was radically sane. The people just loved him.

More: https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/01/04/will-bernie-sanders-will-be-our-president-in-2020/

"Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime" - Aristotle "The more I see of the moneyed peoples, the more I understand the guillotine" - George Bernard Shaw "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK #SurviveAndRevolt

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 17,013

It won’t be the same, of course, but in general terms it holds. There will be far more Vichy Democratic candidates than progressive ones, and I suspect progressive support will congeal around one candidate fairly quickly.

I think that candidate will most likely be Bernie Sanders, because he is simply better known and better trusted than the other potential few.

Meanwhile, the establishment Vichy Dems will have a veritable plethora of candidates because they can’t resist the idea of running against the detestable Trump or the woodenly rigid, provenly corrupt Mike Pence. They can’t help but divide their own support early on, very likely fatally.

All of the Very Intelligent People will deny this scenario is possible, of course, just like they all denied the possibility of Trump winning the Republican nomination in 2016 until he was only one state away.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

bazukhov
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,849

Forgetting that even if he does win the election he won’t be president in 2020 but in 2021.

But, to get there he has to win the nomination of the Democratic Party.   If he runs as an Independent he hasn’t a chance.

So, to win the nomination he’s going to have to win some (a lot) of  “moderate” votes in the primaries.  Which means he has to convince them that he’s not “too liberal”.  Which means he will lose some votes of the more ideological left.

If he does that and wins the nomination he’s going to have to convince the “moderates” that he’s not “too liberal” for them to vote for.   Again, he will lose some votes of the ideological left.

As I recall, he said that he would run if he thought he was the only candidate who could beat Trump.   Which is an indication to me that he’s not going to run because almost any Dem not named Clinton can beat Trump.

I’d love to see Bernie in the White House as president.   But, I don’t think it’s likely considering that the Dems are far more likely to nominate a slightly leftish candidate who can garner “moderate” votes easier than Bernie can.

Tell me, great captain, how do the angels sleep when the devil leaves his porch light on? Tom Waites

Ohio Barbarian
        • Total Posts: 17,013

<p>Interesting times. </p>

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

glinda
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 804

They will not allow anyone but a registered and long standing D to run?

Animals know more than we do.

Babel 17
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 3,869

Didn’t the DNC decide awhile back that

They will not allow anyone but a registered and long standing D to run?

They decided that those not “one of us” can go pound sand.

They call themself themself the “Pound Sanders”.

OCMI
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 135

Hillary was taking her to fund raising events with the uber wealthy Hamptonites in 2016, and Harris has been constantly publicized ever since.  Whether the DNC can drum up enough name recognition for her to legitimately win the nomination is immaterial, since they have already proven they can rig the votes.

The Dems will likely try to avoid another cycle where it is obvious that no competition for the nomination will be allowed, given the bad taste it left in many peoples’ mouths when Clinton finagled the same in 2016, so there will be a faux show of having many options with most of the contenders dropping out very early on.

The majority of mankind is ground down by industrial oppression in order that the small remnant may live in ease.
        —Helen Keller, 1911

Joe Biden, you're no Jack Kennedy: "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."—John F Kennedy, 1962

RufusTFirefly
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,432

And that Progressives continue to deepen their bench. 2018 provided a great start.

Anything can happen, so we need to be ready.

Michael: My father is no different than any powerful man, any man with power, like a president or senator.
      Kay Adams: Do you know how naive you sound, Michael? Presidents and senators don’t have men killed.
      Michael: Oh. Who’s being naive, Kay?

mmonk
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 890

<p>The term moderate is not a reality based term. It’s a media created term. I will vote Green if he or Gabbard does not win.</p>

Fear not the path of Truth for the lack of People walking on it. - RFK

Rex
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 154

<p>They ruined their brand in 2016 and are just too arrogant or more likely, pretending not to notice their voters know they will cheat, lie and steal to win. Ooops…we know.</p>
      <p>I will do what I can to get Bernie elected, but the PTB will never allow it imo. He is way too much for helping the people of this country out of the poverty and misery decades of failed neo-economics has brought to our shores. </p>
      <p>America does not like to change our dirty sheets and if someone complains about the stench, they get kicked out of bed. </p>

Forcing people to work without pay is akin to slavery.

eridani
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,467

<!–more–>n/t

Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.