With 10-Point Declaration, Global Coalition of Top Energy Experts Says: ‘100% Renewables Is Possible’

Homepage | Forums | Topics In Depth | Science and Environment | With 10-Point Declaration, Global Coalition of Top Energy Experts Says: ‘100% Renewables Is Possible’

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #402252
      eridani
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,978

      https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/02/09/10-point-declaration-global-coalition-top-energy-experts-says-100-renewables

      What’s required, argue the 46 signatories of the new 10-point declaration (pdf), is sufficient political will, international coordination, and concrete action on a massive scale to institute a total “re-design of the global energy system.”

      “We have lost too much time in our efforts to address global warming and the seven million air pollution deaths that occur each year, by not focusing enough on useful solutions,” said Mark Jacobson, director of the Atmosphere/Energy Program and professor of civil and environmental engineering at Stanford University.

      “Fortunately, low-cost 100% clean, renewable energy solutions do exist to solve these problems, as found by over a dozen independent research groups,” added Jacobson, one of the seven original signers of the declaration. “The solutions will not only save consumers money, but also create jobs and provide energy and more international security, while substantially reducing air pollution and climate damage from energy. Policymakers around the world are strongly urged to ensure we implement these solutions over the next 10-15 years.”

      The year 2035 has been described by some scientists as the “deadline for climate action” at which humanity “could cross a point of no return” if governments fail to drastically reduce global carbon emissions in the years prior.

      Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

    • #402268
      ThouArtThat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,544

      @eridani

      Hi eridani,

      Regrettably, this is not true.  As the documentary “Planet of the Humans” showed last year, there is not sufficient Lithium, Cobalt, Nickel and rare earth minerals available for the requisite solar panels, wind mills and batteries.  Further, electrification only solves 20% of the global demand for energy.  The remaining 80% of global energy demand is the direct use of fossil fuels for which there are no renewable substitutes.

      TAT

      “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
      - John F. Kennedy

      "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it."
      - George Orwell

      "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
      - Jiddu Krishnamurti

      "Sometimes a pessimist is only an optimist with extra information."
      - Idries Shah

      "A riot is the language of the unheard."
      - Martin Luther King

    • #402492
      eridani
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,978

      https://www.azooptics.com/article.aspx?ArticleId=147

      A number of the earliest photovoltaic (PV) devices have been manufactured using silicon as the solar cell material and it is still the most popular material for solar cells today.

      The molecular structure of single-crystal silicon is uniform. This uniformity is ideal for the transfer of electrons efficiently through the material. However, in order to make an effective photovoltaic cell, silicon needs to be “doped” with other elements.

      Multi-crystalline silicon is normally considered less efficient than single-crystal silicon. On the other hand, multi-crystalline silicon devices are less expensive to produce. The casting process is the most common means of producing multi-crystalline silicon on a commercial scale.

      Amorphous silicon can absorb 40 times more solar radiation than single-crystal silicon. This is one of the main reasons why amorphous silicon can reduce the cost of photovoltaics. Amorphous silicon can be coated on low-cost substrates such as plastics and glass. This makes amorphous silicon ideal for building-integrated photovoltaic products.

      Not much help for transportation unless electric cars become more common, though.

      Jesus: Hey, Dad? God: Yes, Son? Jesus: Western civilization followed me home. Can I keep it? God: Certainly not! And put it down this minute--you don't know where it's been! Tom Robbins in Another Roadside Attraction

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.