Wuhan lab conspiracy theory parallels Washington’s “yellow rain” lie of the 1980s

Homepage | Forums | Main Forums | General Discussion | Wuhan lab conspiracy theory parallels Washington’s “yellow rain” lie of the 1980s

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 21,304

(WSWS) Since the May 23 publication in the Wall Street Journal of an article titled “Intelligence on Sick Staff at Wuhan Lab Fuels Debate on Covid-19 Origin,” all the outlets of the US media establishment and political and intelligence apparatus have sought to rehabilitate the claim that the COVID-19 pandemic came from a lab in Wuhan, China, even they themselves decried it as false just six months ago.

There is no factual, let alone scientific, basis for the lab allegations. The best that the entire US intelligence community has been able to produce is a claim that several employees at the Wuhan Institute of Virology came down with an illness in November 2019 with symptoms that are “consistent with … common seasonal illnesses.”

The lie also attempts to defy the mass of evidence presented by the World Health Organization in March, which declared that a man-made origin of the virus is “extremely unlikely.” In promoting these falsehoods, those who have crafted and are now participating in this propaganda campaign are committing an arguably greater fraud than the Bush administration’s baseless claims about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction nearly two decades ago.

This is not the first time that the American government has lied about a massive public health threat to demonize a geopolitical rival and to direct mass internal social anger outward. To understand how US imperialism works to create pretexts for war and attempt to deflect away from its own criminal activity, it is instructive to remember the case of “yellow rain” in the 1980s.

Full story here.

No matter what you think of the Chinese lab leak theory, and my mental jury is still out, it is realistic to keep in mind this previously unquestioned lie from the United States government. It’s a good story. 

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

You can jail a revolutionary, but you can't jail the revolution.--Fred Hampton

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 6,056

The last two paragraphs of that article, OB, is a reminder of the number of ways TPTB outright lie. They do it for reason. Too bad the reason has little to do with what protects the America people, or gains their trust in their own government…

One major difference between the yellow rain and Wuhan lab propaganda campaigns, however, is the role of the US print and broadcast media. By the late 1980s, as “yellow rain” was further and further exposed to be an outright lie, the New York Times, for example, ran several articles with headlines such as “Still Caught in the Yellow Rain” and “Yellow Rain Falls,” noting that the entire affair was a “fiasco” and that, “Yellow rain is bee dung.”

Now, amid a pandemic that has killed more than 610,000 men, women and children in the US alone, for which the US government bears chief responsibility, the Times, Postand every other outlet are aligning themselves with an even more unbelievable lie. And it is one they themselves thoroughly debunked last year!

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,871

I’ve watched too many spin too many stories for too many years.

GZeusH
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,062

Let’s say there was a leak at the Wuhan lab.  Suppose someone’s bad lab technique got himself infected and he was “patient zero”.  Suppose that he infected other people in the community and that was how it got out into the world.

Seems to me that the Chinese recovered quite nicely from that.  They recovered quite well, considering they’ve had less than 1% of the confirmed cases and deaths that the U.S. has had.

On the other hand, the U.S. is a picture perfect example of the worst possible response.  Worst in quarantining incoming travelers, worst in containing the spread, worst in instituting an effective lockdown, worst in supporting working people through the crisis, and finally worst in number of deaths and confirmed cases.

I’m beginning to believe there was a conspiracy between Bezos and Musk to have someone let the virus out of the Wuhan lab.  Follow the money — cui bono?

Corporate America consists of totalitarian entities laser-focused on short-term greed.

closeupready
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,483

truths will be deliberately obscured, and the rich will end up getting richer.  So it doesn’t ultimately matter what anyone claims is true or false.  Because we little people won’t ever get the full story.

Having said that, I am inclined to believe that it did leak from a Wuhan lab.  I have not heard any persuasive argument in favor of an alternate explanation.  Therefore, Occam’s Razor suggests that it leaked from a lab.

And by the way, if anyone here thinks that the standards of lab hygiene in China are in any way identical to the standards in Western states, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you.

The opinions and personal views expressed herein are solely those of the author, and should never be taken seriously.

soryang
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,406

everyone has their frame I guess.

Ohio Barbarian
        • Total Posts: 21,304

Hypotheses don’t always do that. So a conspiracy theory is always a hypothesis, but most hypotheses are not conspiracy theories.

I suppose that means that an accidental lab leak hypothesis really isn’t a CT, since there doesn’t have to be evil intent for that to happen. If that is what happened, it’s certainly no surprise that the Chinese would cover it up to save face. But those who say the Chinese were developing a bioweapon or some RNA chain that Bill Gates can use to program us are definitely pushing CTs.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

You can jail a revolutionary, but you can't jail the revolution.--Fred Hampton

Yanath
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,984
      David the Gnome
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,147

I think there are a number of things that support the lab leak hypothesis – well beyond the sickness of three lab workers in November of 2019.  We could examine them individually and come up with a lot of stuff – but no, it does not amount to absolute proof.  Absolute proof is tough and we are unlikely to ever have it, regardless of what caused the virus.

There are many “coincidences” at play here though.  The kind of research the Wuhan lab was doing – they were specifically attempting to increase transmissability between bats and humans as regards coronavirus – coronavirii?  Whatever.  This was research openly supported by many powerful people with PHDs and doctorates back in 2012 – and probably long before.  The lab conditions were not as safe as people might have liked.  Peter Daszak was heavily involved with a massive PR campaign to completely dismiss the lab leak theory – which even he really had no clue about.

Whatever the case may be – I think the event itself makes a good case for outlawing gain of function research in as many Nations as we possibly can.  Of course, countries like the U.S. and China would do it anyway, but they probably wouldn’t get quite as much funding or legitimate scientists/doctors working on these projects.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.