• update

The text box issue is fixed. You can now post just a title in replies again. Thank you Manny! Working on the rest. Thank you for your patience.

A Readers & Writers Menagerie

Home A Readers & Writers Menagerie

Just a small mention about writing comedy..

• djean111 (4176 posts)
    Profile photo of djean111 Donor

Just a small mention about writing comedy..

I have been working on material for what I hope will be a funny website/blog about a popular diet.   I have been writing down material for years, and will take the plunge this year.

A few years ago, a British guy I knew – had been a BBC announcer, currently produces small documentaries – attended a week-long course on comedy writing, given by some folks who had written successful comedy for BBC shows.  The advice that sticks with me – any time you have what you think is a funny thought – write it down.  Keep a journal.  There is nothing so funny and/or original that you will not, most likely, forget it.  Write it down.  All grist for your mill, eventually.

A few years ago, my grandson graduated from high school, only six students in the class.  He went to a school that was dedicated to ADHD students.   All of them were guys, all were tasked with writing a little speech, and giving it to the audience.  Grandson, who has written literally hundreds and hundreds of pages for his sci-fi/fantasy epic, little tiny and incredibly neat printing in notebooks, diagrams, maps, elaborate histories, etc., was completely blocked.  And his teacher mercifully told the guys that he would read their speeches if they felt that giving a speech was too much.   Bless him; he knew his students.

So, with input from grandson, I wrote a little speech.   I can usually write funny stuff, and this was a challenge, because live to an audience.  So – I put three funny bits in, and realized it is one thing to write funny bits to read, but wow!  how hard it seemed/must be to write something funny and hope the actor/speaker gives it the right inflection!   And – the teacher (also a British guy)  read it cold and the audience laughed exactly where I wanted them to laugh.  That was fucking intoxicating.

I am shooting for Dave Barry-type material; yeah, of course I won’t achieve anything like that, but he is my inspiration.

Whisp, retrowire, Polichick like this
    You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• retrowire (489 posts)
    Profile photo of retrowire

1. it is indeed intoxicating to have your work taken as intended!

I felt that when I won the directors award in film school. You’re literally baring your soul on that screen.

I fix technological thingamadoodads. Also, Bernie is my spirit animal.