• update

The text box issue is fixed. You can now post just a title in replies again. Thank you Manny! Working on the rest. Thank you for your patience.

A Readers & Writers Menagerie

Home A Readers & Writers Menagerie

So, what are you all reading?

• Matariki (2246 posts)
    Profile photo of Matariki Admin Emeritus

So, what are you all reading?

I just finished Fudoki by Kij Johnson. The book is better than it’s description imo. Full of subtlety.

DookDook, Enthusiast, NRL and 3 othersBabel 17, Chervee, retrowire like this
    Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
23 replies
  • 1 year ago #1
  • 1 year ago #18
    • alcina (291 posts)
      Profile photo of alcina Donor

1. Death of the Mantis

A Detective Kubu novel, by Michael Stanley. This is the third in the series set in Botswana, and I’m finding them all very interesting.

• retrowire (489 posts)
      Profile photo of retrowire

2. reading nothing at the moment

The last book I did read was Outsider in the White House by Bernie Sanders. Great read.

I’ve mostly been writing lately!

I fix technological thingamadoodads. Also, Bernie is my spirit animal.
    • Chervee (28 posts)
      Profile photo of Chervee Donor

3. Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.

Well, not reading so much as audiobooking. It makes good use of the time I spend driving to and from work.

• NRL (175 posts)
      Profile photo of NRL Donor

4. Again, not a simple answer.

My wife and I have gotten into the habit of me reading to her each morning after our coffee – just one small part of a book on nature. Last Fathers Day she got me Hal Borland’s Book of Days, and since we just passed Fathers Day, I just finished reading it out loud – day by day, reading each of his entries.  It was a wonderful experience.

This Fathers Day she bought me Borland’s book This Hill, This Valley, and I am reading parts of it each morning, hoping to make it last one year.

We just finished listening to Larsson’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – library rental on CDs. Before that, we listened to King’s 11-22-63,

• Enthusiast (8329 posts)
        Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

9. I really liked those two, NRL, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and 11-22-63.

:hi:

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
      • Matariki (2246 posts)

11. I love that! My partner and I read to each other

What a joy that is. Except the time we tried to read Gravity’s Rainbow out loud ;-)

• TM99 (4694 posts)
      Profile photo of TM99 Banned

5. I am currently working through the following:

1. Unity and Multiplicity: Multilevel Consciousness of Self in Hypnosis, Psychiatric Disorder, and Mental Health by Beahrs, MD
      2. In Search of the Heart by Hermann of Carinthia
      3. Unity AI Programming Essentials by Bennett & Sagmiller
      4. Invoking Angels: Theurgic Ideas and Practices, Thirteenth to Sixteenth Centuries (Magic in History) by Flanger.  I loved her first work Conjuring Spirits: Texts and Traditions of Medieval Ritual Magic (Magic in History) so this was a must get for me.
      When you hear people raising reasoned objections to Trump’s policies and appointments, odds are that you’re listening to the sort of thoughtful dissent that’s essential to any semblance of democracy, and it may be worth taking seriously. When you hear people criticizing Trump and his appointees for doing the same thing his rivals would have done, or his predecessors did, odds are that you’re getting the normal hypocrisy of partisan politics, and you can roll your eyes and stroll on. But when you hear people shrieking that Donald Trump is the illegitimate result of a one-night stand between Ming the Merciless and Cruella de Vil, that he cackles in Russian while barbecuing babies on a bonfire, that everyone who voted for him must be a card-carrying Nazi who hates the human race, or whatever other bit of over-the-top hate speech happens to be fashionable among the chattering classes at the moment—why, then, dear reader, you’re hearing a phenomenon as omnipresent and unmentionable in today’s America as sex was in Victorian England. You’re hearing the voice of class bigotry: the hate that dare not speak its name.  -- John Michael Greer
    • DookDook (267 posts)
      Profile photo of DookDook

6. I'm currently reading some black-comedy fantasy

Currently I’m reading,  The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch.  It’s the first in The Gentleman Bastard series and I’m enjoying it so far.  I keep waiting for The Black Company from Glenn Cook to show up and start bashing heads, so it’s a fun dark world that the author has created.

I’m also reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons.  Since my wife is reading it as well I’m just waiting for her to catch up.  Hyperion is broken up in such a way that it makes it very easy to just dip in and out.  I’ve read the first two Hyperion books before but I’ve never read the second half of the series, so when my wife saw that the four book set was on sale on Kindle she picked them up.

8. Hi, DookDook. I read The Terror by Dan Simmons. The guy can really write.

For some reason I have yet to read any of Dan’s other books.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/dan-simmons/

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
        • DookDook (267 posts)

10. Besides the first two Hyperion books, I only read one other by him.

I read Summer of Night by him after I had read Hyperion.  And I agree, he can write.  SoN reminded me of a more streamlined It,  basically a bunch of kids who are graduating elementary school and a summer of them fighting the forces of evil.

I would recommend Hyperion as it is a very well crafted sci-fi romp.

7. I just finished The Mountain Shadow by Gregory David Roberts.

The Mountain Shadow is the sequel to Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33600.Shantaram?ac=1&from_search=true

The Mountain Shadow reads very much like Shantaram. Maybe I’m deluded but I get the impression this is very much like living in Mumbai. They sure smoke a lot of dope in India, lol.

Now Mrs. Enthusiast is reading The Mountain Shadow.

My new book is Walking Across Egypt by Clyde Edgerton.

• oldandhappy (3221 posts)
      Profile photo of oldandhappy Donor

12. Two ready to return to the library.

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi.

the rhino with glue-on shoes edited by Lucy H. Superman

The first one is how Kalanithi begins looking for the space between life and death, studies to be a writer, and then becomes a neuro-surgeon.  Beautiful heart, beautiful mind.

The second book is a fun collection of essays by zoo vets about their experiences with animals.

• Biddy Early (146 posts)
        Profile photo of Biddy Early

15. I'm a library reader, too. Those two books sound really good…..

and I’m a super fussy reader.  I think I will go and try to reserve both of them.  The latter one isn’t sad is it?  I can’t sleep at night if I see or hear something bad about animals.

• oldandhappy (3221 posts)
          Profile photo of oldandhappy Donor

17. 90% happy endings, smile.

Vets are always hard working and positive.  I think two of the animals do die but handled well.  The first book you ought to know, the man does die but the whole book is so positive and beautiful that I hope you will try it.

I am now reading Hamilton the Revolution about the play Hamilton now on Broadway.  The entire libretto is in the book along with essays about the production and how it progressed to a full musical, and dozens and dozens of photos.  The photos make it all so alive.  I am loving this book.

19. My friends drove to NYC from Chicago to see Hamilton – kept tickets in a safe.

Seems a bit much but that’s the way they are.  Had to wait 8 months – really loved it, though.  Definitely the highlight of their year….so far.  They are in their mid 70’s.

• 4Sibes (22 posts)
      Profile photo of 4Sibes

13. Stranger in a Strange Land, the complete edition

By Robert Heinlein.  I finished it a week ago, and am now reading Assignment in Eternity, also by him.

I’m thinking very seriously about digging out my copies of “1984”, “Brave New World”, and “Animal Farm”, just to renew ideas and compare to what’s happening in real life.  I also need to re-read “The Iron Heel” by Jack London, to make plans.

"... in politics nothing is accidental. If something happens, be assured it was planned this way"- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

14. "Mary's Mosaic" about Mary Pinchot Meyer – JFK's over….she was murdered, too.

And of course they blamed the first black guy they found…

Very interesting – love mysteries – fiction and non fiction.

Just finished “Hologram for the King” by Ed Eggers (Think that’s his name) excellent – better than the movie which was great.

Also currently reading “Praying Naked” by Anthony de Mello, SJ – very very good.  I just read a bit each day – and keep renewing it at the public library.

• lins the liberal (7 posts)
      Profile photo of lins the liberal

16. working my way through

“Beginning Again: Benedictine Wisdom for Living with Illness” by Mary C. Earle.  I’m reading it again and going more slowly.

“Getting Past Your Past,” by Francine Shapiro, phD.  She developed EMDR therapy.

And my light reading…just finished “The Luck Runs Out (Peter Shandy Mysteries book 2)” by Charlotte MacLoed.  And just started, “St. Patrick’s Day Murder (a Lucy Stone Mystery series)” by Leslie Meier.

• Zopilote (280 posts)
      Profile photo of Zopilote Donor

18. Working on

Arizona A History – Thomas E. Sheldon

Bleak House – Charles Dickens (must be the fourth time, but I love that book)

A History of the Inquisition of the Middle Ages – Henry C. Lea  (Exhaustive and exhausting)

Paradox – The Nine Greatest Enigmas in Physics – Jim Al-Khalili

and some programming stuff

The journey of a thousand miles begins with me trying to remember where I left my damn keys...  
    • mnhtnbb (198 posts)
      Profile photo of mnhtnbb Donor

20. i just checked The Devil's Chessboard by David Talbot out of the library

and started it this afternoon, based on a recommendation I saw here at JPR.

It’s all about Allen Dulles, the longest serving director of the CIA.

Really well written.  I’m only about 30 pages in and I’m hooked.

From the bookjacket:  (Talbot) is the founder and former editor in chief of Salon and was a senior editor at Mother Jones.

• veronique26 (104 posts)
      Profile photo of veronique26

21. richard brautigan's surrealistic noir parody: _dreaming of babylon_

richard brautigan’s surrealistic noir parody: _dreaming of babylon_

hilarious brautiganesque parody of 1930s-40s noir detective novels (like _maltese falcon by) hammett; and also raymond chandler, and james m. cain…

this book illuminates the french literary axiom, “warm baths of sentiment, cold showers of irony.”

but brautigan’s enduring masterpiece of literary surrealism, will always be, of course: _trout fishing in america_

• DookDook (267 posts)

22. I just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/127455.The_Lies_of_Locke_Lamora

This was a real fun fantasy novel.  The story follows Locke Lamora and his band of Gentleman Bastards as they pull con games on the wealthy elite of this fantasy city.  It was a great world that the author is building and I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.  The world made me think of Glen Cook’s The Black Company, another anti-hero type book, with it’s sparse use of magic but still holding a sense of wonder.

And I just started reading Three Men in a Boat, by Jerome K. Jerome.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Men-Boat-Jerome-Klapka-ebook/dp/B004UJL1KK/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469464611&sr=8-1&keywords=three+men+in+a+boat#nav-subnav

Here is a link if you’re interested, it’s free on Kindle.  And if you don’t have a kindle you can just use the kindle app on your PC, but I’ve never been able to read books on my PC.

I have been interested in reading this since I read To Say Nothing of the Dog, a time-travel sci-fi novel by Connie Willis.  It was a great sci-fi novel that I read years and years ago and it acts much like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead works around Hamlet.  The time-travel portions of the story keep mentioning events from Three Men in a Boat, it’s funny, as I often say, it’s English teacher funny.

• Matariki (2246 posts)

23. Blue on Blue by Quentin S. Crisp

Not too far into it yet, but so far pretty awesome

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25929793-blue-on-blue

In an artificially engineered loop of parallel time called the Alternative States of the American Fifties, Victor Winton, a talented but unfulfilled cartoonist, struggles with the contradictory forces held in precarious stasis by the loop. While trying to create the perfect pin-up girl for his new comic-strip series, he becomes intrigued with an ‘ordinary girl’ by the name of Jenny Mills. As he struggles to harness the fascinations at work in his life, they expand beyond the range of his control and threaten a fulfilment for which he might not be ready.

Blue on Blue – a cosy novel in which anything might happen.