Alternative Spirituality

Eben Alexander: A Neurosurgeon's Journey through the Afterlife

• Author

Mr. Mickeys Mom
    • Total Posts: 2,408
    @mrmickeysmom

This is a YouTube presentation a little over an hour and a half… As a respiratory therapist, I’ve worked with severe meningitis patients, but never around a story like this… and from a Neurosurgeon! Still, though it’s interesting from that perspective, I began analyzing his return to a conscious state, and this is where the frequencies and rhythms he describes directs my attention to one of my loves, which is astrology…

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

djean111
    • Total Posts: 3,381
    @djean111

Thanks!  I had an NDE a very long time ago – 1963 – before the internet, and I had never heard of such a thing, but knew better than to talk about it.  Not religious in any way, though.    I have never found it even interesting that others disbelieve it, kind of a well, you had to be there thing.  Nice to hear someone talk about it.

I will not vote for a Vichy Dem. Period. As always, I decide who is a Vichy Dem.

Bernie's ISSUES or Bust!

Mr. Mickeys Mom
    @mrmickeysmom

Well, I think the mention by this doctor in the course of doing his homework after he woke from coma show that very early christianity actually supported many of the theories that christianity has since silenced.

Glad to share this…

Gryneos
    • Total Posts: 682
    @gryneos

Hi @mrmickeysmom

I really enjoyed that! Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to get his book, too.

It was also interesting to hear him speak of Anita Moorjani as well as many of the other people I’ve read in the past (such as Robert Monroe.) One unique thing about Moorjani’s book was that in her experience, she did not speak of a Life Review. What I’ve read is that some cultures don’t believe in such things, so it doesn’t come up for them. I’d be curious to know Alexander’s take on that concept.

‘Cause that's what it would be. "Tea and cake or death? Tea and cake or death? Tea and cake or death!" Students with beards, (mimes demonstrating with picket signs) "Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" ‘Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question. Anyone could answer that.

Gryneos
    @gryneos

Oh, here’s another article on Dr. Alexander, a rebuttal to a hit-piece from Esquire, that I feel does an excellent job taking apart Esquire’s debunking. It’s quite long, but I still recommend taking the time to read it:

Esquire Article On Eben Alexander Distorts The Facts
    Last Updated: Friday, 02 December 2016 18:03
    Commentary by NDE researcher Robert Mays – revised August 21, 2013

Luke Dittrich, contributing editor at Esquire, wrote an article critical of Dr. Eben Alexander’s book Proof of Heaven. Dittrich cited several malpractice lawsuits against Dr. Alexander, in some of which the allegation was that Alexander had altered medical records to cover his errors. Dittrich makes this his theme for critiquing the story of Alexander’s NDE, that Alexander altered the facts of his story to make them more dramatic. In particular, Dittrich questioned the central premise of the book, that Alexander’s experience was the result of a brain all but destroyed by meningitis. Alexander’s hyper-real experience of the heavenly Gateway Realm with the beautiful girl on the butterfly wing and the knowledge he gained from The Core, were all hallucinations resulting from a medically induced coma. Alexander thereby stood to gain financially. But how careful was Luke Dittrich with the facts he presented?  (PDF:  Full article)

Three key flaws in Alexander’s story

Dittrich pointed out three key places in Alexander’s account of his experience that were not confirmed upon examination—a rainbow heralding Alexander’s return that could not have been seen, a shout for help noted by everyone present that could not have been uttered, and, most damning of all, the assertion of a hyper-real experience of incredible beauty, love and wisdom that could not have occurred in a medically induced coma. The first two flaws could perhaps be excused by the pressure to produce a dramatic story, one that would generate interest and sell well, taking as Alexander admitted to Dr. Laura Potter, his ER physician, some “artistic license.”

But the last flaw would be fatal because Eben Alexander’s central assertion is that his experience occurred during a week-long coma brought on by severe bacterial meningitis. Alexander’s medical records are all confidential. Even with Alexander’s permission, his doctors refused to be interviewed, except for Dr. Potter. So all Dittrich has to go on are Dr. Potter’s statements and Eben Alexander’s assertions. Dittrich felt that Alexander’s history of altering medical records to achieve a desired result called into question everything he would assert about his medical condition. Indeed, as we shall see, Dr. Potter’s statements were apparently pretty damning.

(I actually got banned from a discord server today for posting that, because the owner and I had gotten into an argument last week over whether he was a fraud or not. She’d read the Esquire story and believed it, then read the above link and felt it didn’t refute anything. Oil well. Can’t please everyone )

‘Cause that's what it would be. "Tea and cake or death? Tea and cake or death? Tea and cake or death!" Students with beards, (mimes demonstrating with picket signs) "Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" ‘Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question. Anyone could answer that.

djean111
    • Total Posts: 3,381
    @djean111

@gryneos

My NDE (in 1963) was not religious or as elaborate. Still crystal clear. One thing I have learned is that it does not matter in the least microscopic  teensy little bit if others believe in NDEs or not, because belief or non-belief has no effect on whether NDEs are real, and, really, anyone else’s opinion on whether they are real or not is totally irrelevant.  Pointless, actually.  I listened to a researcher say that he treasures the early accounts, before the internet and before anyone knew anyone else experienced the same thing, and the accounts are remarkably consistent across the world.  A mystery to me – why do people who do not believe in them get so angry and agitated about people who do?  What is it to them?  Not even any of their business.

Thanks for the article, I did read it a while back and it is good and also kind of bizarre to see the extent to which some folks go to refute NDEs.  No skin off their noses, really.

I will not vote for a Vichy Dem. Period. As always, I decide who is a Vichy Dem.

Bernie's ISSUES or Bust!

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 11,104
      @ohiobarbarian

@djean111 That is so true. I’ve never had one of those myself, at least in this lifetime, but I’ve known a couple of people who have and they both said much the same thing. As for those who really really don’t want to give any credence to this kind of thing, Robert A. Heinlein has some advice:

There is no positive proof that there is life after death. On the other hand, there is no proof that there isn’t. You’re going to know soon enough, so why worry about it? 

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

If Democrats don’t stand for the people, why should people stand for them?--Jim Hightower

Gryneos
    @gryneos

Good points, both of you @djean111 @ohiobarbarian

Being inspired by reading more about NDEs, I went back to some guided meditations Scott Taylor made, and had some excellent experiences (mostly just in the way of feelings) last night. I need to do them more often. I’ve shared the files with others, but none of them seem to have any experiences, profound or not. I don’t know if they just aren’t patient enough to relax or what. The binaural (or whatever style of frequencies these are) really give me a great session with them. Everyone else must be brain-flawed!

These are the recordings, by Scott Taylor, if you want to buy your own (available as downloads, too) but I could give out the link to the first one in PM for anyone who wants to try it. I figure PM is best, so the link doesn’t get overrun from bots or whatever (for non-members looking for freebies.)

Gryneos
    @gryneos

Well, I bought a kindle version of his book (which costs more than a paper version!) and am enjoying what little I’ve read so far (the e-reader says I’ve read 17% of it.) I’ll post a review later if y’all are interested 🙂

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      @mrmickeysmom

@gryneos I’d be interested!

MMM

Gryneos
        @gryneos

Hi @mrmickeysmom

It may be a week or so before I finish. I only got another 5% yesterday. But, I’ve got some good music on and am about to go do some more reading (as food cooks.)

I can point out that his method of relating events switches back and forth between what he is experiencing and what is happening in the ‘real’ world with his family/friends and body. It breaks up the flow of the storytelling, so you have to keep straight what’s happening in both worlds.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.