Alternative Spirituality

Fear is the mind-killer. Effective advice for dealing with the Panic of 2020.

• Author

Ohio Barbarian
    • Total Posts: 11,025
    @ohiobarbarian

All sorts of spiritual traditions, from the Norse Way of the Warrior to Hindu Yoga to Zen disciplines to some Native American systems teach the same thing, but I’ve always found Frank Herbert’s Bene Gesserit mantra from Dune the most helpful in times of fear and chaos:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

How do you do this? You just breathe. You realize that you do have the power to let go of racing thoughts and emotions. You realize that throwing fear out of your decision-making process increases your chances of dealing well with the situation at hand. You realize that your feelings are not you.

And that realization provides mastery of your human personality by your spirit or your highest level of consciousness or your soul or your no-mind or whatever you want to call it.

It takes practice, but it’s also the best suggestion I’ve got for how to live in our mad and maddening world right now. It helps us to function.

And now, I’m off for a grocery and vitamin run. Then I think I’ll watch Master and Commander or the EU’s Das Boot TV series later, the former on Starz, the latter on Netflix.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

If Democrats don’t stand for the people, why should people stand for them?--Jim Hightower

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.