• Author
      Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 8,338

I find this somehow comforting..YouBoob

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,081

And yes.  As a sort of offshoot of this – I was just thinking yesterday that Elon Musk truly does not see a more beautiful sunset, or illuminating ray of sunshine, than I do; setting aside any diversions such as where we are when we see it, our mindset or circumstances when we see it.  There is nothing that keeps me from seeing and feeling the same beauty.  Until Klaus Schwab or Jamie Dimon figure out how to restrict sunsets so we have to pay to look at them.  There is a difference between being able to afford to buy a beautiful thing, and just looking at and appreciating a beautiful thing.  Which ties back, for me, how I felt many many many many years ago when I had the thought that it would just as easy to make an inexpensive object as beautiful as an expensive object, as if it must take more money to have and appreciate such a simple thing as beauty.  All issues of “taste” aside.  There is a deliberate effort to make even appreciating  beauty something that must be bought, must cost more money.  Sorry if I have not explained that very well!  just as easy to make a beautiful design as it is to make what we are conditioned to see as a cheap design, say, for fabric or wallpaper or a coffee mug.  Not the material, but the design.  Oh well.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

"Sometimes when I try to understand a person's motives, I play a little game. I assume the worst. What's the worst reason they could possibly have for saying what they say and doing what they do? Then I ask myself, 'How well does that reason explain what they say and what they do?'" Baelish

VFTBNMW is, IMO, literally "take the blue pill".

Utopian Leftist
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,209

We are human beings. Not human doings. It would help if we did not identify ourselves by what we do, and that includes meditation. What we are, in essence, is unknowable. What is consciousness?

As long as merit continues to be doled out dependent upon what one “does” for a living (and should we be forced to do ANYthing, just to survive?), we cannot recognize our own true, inner worth.

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti
      "Given the choice between a Republican and a Democrat who acts like a Republican, the voter will choose a Republican every time." ~ Harry Truman

soryang
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,631

I browsed the internet a bit, because it has been decades since I read Zuzuki and Watts. I found this article exploring the differences and similarities between the Buddhist traditions and psychoanalysis techniques. I thought this was a good explanation of the self, non-self conundrum and meditation.

Understanding of Self: Buddhism and Psychoanalysis
      Whachul Oh
      Journal of Religion and Health volume 61, pages 4696–4707 (2022)

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10943-021-01437-w

I always was intrigued by Zen koans. I agree with the author’s caution about depersonalization for the borderline personality. There is a moral or social risk for some with a defective character formation. The image that comes to mind from a fiction work I read once is that of a feudal warlord who meditates while his victim undergoes torture. I used to joke about this image with a mentor when I was young man; but I’m afraid it’s an apt image in politics and isn’t confined to the East.

One doesn’t need to decide between self and no-self, to observe. Just my opinion. Relating to art forms or nature anyway is more useful rather than an explanatory technique. This is part of the attraction of some traditional Asian art forms. Creativity can be useful meditation of sorts, because of mindfulness or being in the moment. As the art form reaches the aesthetic ideal one approaches the non-self or universal experience. Entertaining multiple perspectives simultaneously permits better relationships. fwiw. Thanks for the provocative presentation and the thread.

惑世誣民 혹세무민

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.