Atheist/Humanist/Non-Religious

American Christians See A Rapid Decline In Numbers Over Past Decade: Study

• Author

Deadpool
    Administrator
    • Total Posts: 2,330
    @deadpool

Christians continue to be a swiftly dwindling demographic within America’s religious landscape, a new study from the Pew Research Center shows.

About two-thirds of U.S. adults (65%) identify as Christian, a share that has plummeted by 12 percentage points over the last decade, according to Pew’s analysis of aggregated telephone surveys. On the other hand, the religiously unaffiliated now constitute over a quarter of the adult population (26%), up from 17% in 2009. 

GZeusH
    • Total Posts: 1,460
    @gzeush

Not rapid enough.  I’m still waiting for some offerings of barbecued goat; doesn’t anyone want to appease a Greek god before their house gets hit with a lightning bolt?

HassleCat
      • Total Posts: 1,312
      @hasslecat

Here’s your goat. Oh, man! It’s Dee-lish! I’m not just offering it up to you, but eating it for you, too. That’s just the kind of faithful follower I am.

HassleCat
    • Total Posts: 1,312
    @hasslecat

Any decline in the number of Xtians is good news. I know some nice Christians. They don’t attend church, don’t tell table prayers in restaurants, don’t think Trump was sent by Jesus… I think they might be Buddhists.

eridani
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 3,354
    @eridani

Americans becoming less Christian as over a quarter follow no religion

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/17/americans-less-christian-religion-survey-pew

The proportion of US adults who describe themselves as Christian has fallen to two-thirds, a drop of 12 percentage points over the past decade, according to data from the Pew Research Center.

Over the same period, the proportion of those describing themselves as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” has risen by 17 percentage points to more than a quarter of the adult population.

Although churches and faith movements continue to exert strong political influence on the Trump administration and at the state level, the proportion of American adults attending religious services has declined.

The proportion of US adults who are white born-again or evangelical Protestants – the religious group which strives hardest to see its political agenda adopted – is now 16%, down from 19% a decade ago.

The two most common substances in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.