• update

If you cannot post at all, please send me a private message Marym625 or email me at Mary@JackpineRadicals.com The text box issue is fixed. You can now post just a title in replies again. Thank you Manny! Working on the rest. Thank you for your patience.

Atheist/Humanist/Non-Religious

Home Atheist/Humanist/Non-Religious

Please read before posting.

• Deadpool (8729 posts)
    Profile photo of Deadpool Admin

Please read before posting.

The admin(s) of the this group have decided that while this is, strictly speaking, a “safe-haven” for non-believers of all stripes only, it should remain a welcoming and friendly environment for all those who participate.

To this end, those who break the spirit of progressive thought may be blocked from posting in the this group. This includes actions that are racist, sexist, homophobic, ageist, hateful, or otherwise violate that spirit.

Rules

1. Initial caveat: while the group is a safe-haven with its own set of guidelines, everyone posting in this group is subject to JPR rules.
    2. Discussing a JPRer’s private information is STRICTLY prohibited. (Note that an exception can be made if the JPRer brought the topic up themselves and you keep your comments limited to the thread in which the JPRer posted the private information).
    3. The admin(s) want to discourage negativity and encourage the promotion of the positive aspects of non-belief. If you read a good thread in this group, Rec it. If you encounter an atheist or agnostic in other areas of JPR that you don’t see in this group, invite them to join.
    4. There are certain terms that are considered offensive to the members of the this group. If you use these terms or insinuate them, you’ll be asked to self-edit. If you decline a self-edit, a mod/host will edit for you.. A few of these terms are: “fundamentalist atheist”; “evangelical atheist”; “scientism”; “atheist dogma”; “secular indoctrination”; etc. Also if you like to refer to atheism or agnosticism as a “religion”, don’t.
    5. As a Progressive community, we don’t tolerate conservative viewpoints. Expressing those viewpoints is likely to get you blocked from this group and eventually kicked off JPR.
    6. If you make this group suck, you risk being blocked.
    7. While as Progressives, we’re pretty tolerant, we’re not tolerant of religion apologists.
    8. Criticisms of individual beliefs or non-belief, or debates about the existence of higher power(s) are are allowed, but must be identified as such in the title.
    so far from heaven, Golden Thunder, mr blur and 21 otherstruebrit71, Joy of Fishes, Duppers, PeaceNow, kdmorris, , Lost247365, Trouble, HIP56948, TM99, hifiguy, eridani, retrowire, mak3cats, Infact7, GivingItToYouStraight, ReTooled, Banned, DookDook, Haikugal, Idaho progressive like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
32 replies
  • 1 year ago #3
  • 1 year ago #8
  • 1 year ago #21
  • 7 months ago #25
    • Haikugal (5329 posts)
      Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

1. Thanks Deadpool!!!!

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
      • Deadpool (8729 posts)

2. You're Welcome

• ReTooled (725 posts)
      Profile photo of ReTooled Donor

3. KICK!

oh, wait, there’s only one post.

Nevermind!

#FreeLeonardPeltier  #NoDAPL
    • mak3cats (392 posts)
      Profile photo of mak3cats Donor

4. I belonged to the Atheists group at that "other place…"

…and I hope I don’t offend any other migrators with this post, but one thing I really didn’t like about that group was the constant snarky ridiculing of anyone with faith (or their faiths).  I’m capable of thinking religion is nothing but a bunch of made-up crap designed to control resources and people (and the cause of way too many armed conflicts) without being outright hostile.  While I have no patience with anyone who tries to impose their religion on me (or anyone else), I can appreciate those whose spirituality is the basis for their wanting to be good people.  It’s just a shame that it isn’t widely accepted that one can be a good person without believing in any god.

Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.
      • Ochsfan (51 posts)
        Profile photo of Ochsfan

13. To the extent that faith

breeds kindness and generosity, I don’t think a reasonable person would have a problem with it.  When it is used outside of this context, it becomes dangerous.

"If there is any hope for America, it lies in getting Elvis Presley to become Che Guevara" -- Phil Ochs, 1970
        • mr blur (33 posts)
          Profile photo of mr blur Donor

17. Well, I don't believe that it does, necessarily

“breed kindness and generosity”. Look at Mother Teresa, for example.

And I would imagine that I’m one of the ones described above as enjoying some “snarky ridiculing of anyone with faith (or their faiths)”.

However, not my rules; I’ll do my best to follow them and if I don’t, then …

Reality is not a democracy
    • Haikugal (5329 posts)

5. I have a question about one of the rules. #3 specifically.

The admin(s) want to discourage negativity and encourage the promotion of the positive aspects of non-belief. If you read a good thread in this group, Rec it. If you encounter an atheist or agnostic in other areas of JPR that you don’t see in this group, invite them to join.

Mak3cats’ comment above makes me wonder how this works. I know that as a nonbeliever I’ve had many, many experiences that were negative regarding religion and being able to express myself in an honest way. I tend to be straight forward in my expression. Will that be considered negative? Some people find ‘The New Atheists” too radical and angry…I love them precisely because we’ve been in the closet for too damned long. How does that work with this rule?

I hope I’m being clear here because I need to know so I can be comfortable. Thanks!

• Deadpool (8729 posts)

6. Good question.

That’s why I have this in the group description:

“Criticisms of individual beliefs or non-belief, or debates about the existence of higher power(s) are are allowed, but must be identified as such in the title.”

:)

• Haikugal (5329 posts)

7. So that those who are uncomfortable with such a discussion will be able to

choose to not participate in that particular thread? Do I have that correct? Speaking plainly in such an instance would not be considered negative, correct?

• Deadpool (8729 posts)

11. Correct.

n/t

• Duppers (8 posts)
        Profile photo of Duppers

12. Same here, HG.

Religion has had a lasting negative impact on my life, not to mention on the world at large.

• Lost247365 (48 posts)
      Profile photo of Lost247365

8. Rule #4

There are certain terms that are considered offensive to the members of the this group. If you use these terms or insinuate them, you’ll be asked to self-edit. If you decline a self-edit, a mod/host will edit for you.. A few of these terms are: “fundamentalist atheist”; “evangelical atheist”; “scientism”; “atheist dogma”; “secular indoctrination”; etc. Also if you like to refer to atheism or agnosticism as a “religion”, don’t.

Thank you for this rule especially!   8-)

Tolkien.jpg

• Haikugal (5329 posts)

9. I really like that one too.

We’ve heard those terms used all too often elsewhere haven’t we?!

• Lost247365 (48 posts)

10. That we have! The last place they should be allowed is in our own safehaven. nt

Tolkien.jpg

• Deadpool (8729 posts)

14. Hopefully those terms will be kept out of this group…

..but if not, I’ll give the member one chance to self-edit. After that, (Deadpool rocks)* will appear in place. :)

* I reserve the right to put whatever comic-book character I think would apply.

• Lost247365 (48 posts)

15. Can I request references to Magneto for any of my posts you edit?

Not that I ever intend to give you reason to edit anything of mine 

Tolkien.jpg

• Deadpool (8729 posts)

16. Lol, sure.

• Infact7 (154 posts)
        Profile photo of Infact7

19. of course there's the word atheist itself..

when used as “an Atheist” in the middle of a sentence as if we’re some sort of organization instead of a word that explains a position e.g. “I’m atheist”. Using it as a formal noun makes me want to take a shower with steel wool and lye… but I’m reasonable and will try to accommodate everyone’s pre-existing habits, scream profusely and continue to find meaning in my life.

• Golden Thunder (40 posts)
      Profile photo of Golden Thunder Donor

18. I believe in DOG.

“No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious & charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
      • Haikugal (5329 posts)

20. LOL very pretty….

• libodem (1020 posts)
      Profile photo of libodem

21. Hello nonbelievers

Waves hi. Notes the rules. Trashes everyone. Gets blocked. Just kidding.

• Deadpool (8729 posts)

22. Instead of blocking…

I’ll just give you a wet willy  :mrgreen:

• libodem (1020 posts)
          Profile photo of libodem

23. Ewwwww

Gross.  :-)

• awoke in 2003 (410 posts)
      Profile photo of awoke in 2003

24. Received loud and clear. nt

Call me Owen
    • so far from heaven (10170 posts)
      Profile photo of So Far From Heaven Donor

25. Interesting.

How come you never invited me in here?

I’ve been atheist for years and years. Came naturally when I learned how to think.

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun.'" -Groucho Marx
      • Deadpool (8729 posts)

26. You never told me you were an atheist…

;)

If it makes you feel better, I didn’t send out any invites. Members joined on their own. :)

27. I refer to rule #3.

Physicists are notoriously atheist or agnostics.

It comes with the territory.

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun.'" -Groucho Marx
          • Deadpool (8729 posts)

28. I didn’t want to assume.

29. Probably a good idea.

Some get touchy on the subject.

• resist99 (883 posts)
                Profile photo of resist99

30. Greetings

Hello so far from heaven, and everyone else.

I know have have come across some of the things you have posted else where, but the implications of your handle did not strike me until I saw you here. I like it!

Although I am not a physicist, I took a number of basic physics classes and love it as well as almost all other sciences. I feel like I am in good company here.

:evilgrin:

My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth. -George Washington ... We could start by cutting the Defense Budget and stopping all the war propaganda.  

31. Never thought about it in this context before.

The name “So Far From Heaven” comes from a quote by the last Mexican Governor of New Mexico who stated the obvious fact, “Poor New Mexico, so far from heaven, so close to Texas.”

• resist99 (883 posts)
                    Profile photo of resist99

32. Okay, I get it.

I love a good quote.

My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth. -George Washington ... We could start by cutting the Defense Budget and stopping all the war propaganda.