• update

The text box issue is fixed. You can now post just a title in replies again. Thank you Manny! Working on the rest. Thank you for your patience.

Atheist/Humanist/Non-Religious

Home Atheist/Humanist/Non-Religious

POLL – Should this group remain public or go private?

• Deadpool (8729 posts)
    Profile photo of Deadpool Admin

POLL – Should this group remain public or go private?

Without going into details, i’m considering making this group private again. I’d like input from the members here, should we go private?

Yea or Nay?

The topic ‘POLL – Should this group remain public or go private?’ is closed to new replies.

▼ Hide Reply Index
17 replies
  • GivingItToYouStraight (751 posts)
    Profile photo of GivingItToYouStraight

1. Please remind me what the difference is.

• Deadpool (8729 posts)

2. …

Public mode:
      Anyone can read threads, see newly created threads in latest … still have to join in order to post

Private mode:
      List of threads is hidden from public view, newly created threads don’t appear in Latest forum, Group Admin(s) need to approve membership in order to join

• KauaiK (3530 posts)
    Profile photo of KauaiK Donor

3. My first question is why?

Is there an issue was trolls or peeps trying to “convert”?

If one is already a member or JPR and the group, will they be barred?

Critical thinking is the vaccine for charlatans of the world who exploit ignorance - JPR's own So Far From Heaven.

• Mom Cat (8741 posts)
      Profile photo of Mom Cat Donor

6. I would also like some clue as to why?

Going private feels to me too much like going back in the closet. I believe you have your reasons for the suggestion and would love to hear them. I personally think our ideas would have greater reach if we are out in the open, but I would like to hear your reasoning.

NEVER FORGET      BERNIE WON!          
  • Haikugal (5328 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

4. I'll be fine with either.

In my experience atheist/humanist/non-religious folk are not overly sensitive and quite capable and eagerly engage in discussion. However, trolling can be disruptive and can get personal and I’ve seen it become a vendetta that was used elsewhere on the forum against people.

I don’t think such behavior would be permitted on JPR so I’m not sure making the group private is needed.

:shrug:

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
  • Doremus Jessup (2223 posts)
    Profile photo of Doremus Jessup Donor

5. public. We're not pushing our beliefs on others. Nay!

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. End ALL occupations and bring the troops home.
  • Mad to the Marrow (615 posts)
    Profile photo of Mad to the Marrow Donor

7. Stay Public

• Paulie (186 posts)
    Profile photo of Paulie Donor

8. Public

if it’s private I likely won’t see anything as I live by the latest topics and latest replies links being on mobile 90+ percent of the time.

https://jackpineradicals.com/latest/

IMG_9175
  • relgire (22 posts)
    Profile photo of relgire Donor

9. keep it public

• eridani (1877 posts)
    Profile photo of eridani Donor

10. Public n/t

You've heard of the Good Witch of the North and the Wicked Witch of the West, right?  I'm the Morally Ambiguous Witch of the Northwest.
  • MRM1024 (235 posts)
    Profile photo of MRM1024

11. Public is fine with me

Recently someone from outside the group replied to the post Why is gawd responsible. I replied a couple of times and I am not sure if the conversation will be continued or not but it did not bother me. I think public is fine.

• immoderate (258 posts)
    Profile photo of immoderate

12. Public

—imm

• mr blur (33 posts)
      Profile photo of mr blur Donor

13. Well we have nothing to hide,

but I have, elsewhere, got thoroughly sick of believers and faitheists telling me/us why we are wrong, why (for example) Professor Dawkins is just a sexist bastard (he isn’t of course) and why atheists are responsible for the most genocide. If it starts to happen here, I just don’t have the patience to tolerate these people. In my experience they don’t want to discuss anything, being the most frightened, unaware, deluded people around. But of course I’ll go with majority on this.

Reality is not a democracy
      • Haikugal (5328 posts)
        Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

14. These are the things we'll be on watch for Mr Blur…I have no tolerance for

such bullshit and I’ve seen it myself at the same place, on Goat Island.

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
      • MRM1024 (235 posts)
        Profile photo of MRM1024

15. I certainly understand your feelings about this.

Here are my thoughts on the matter. It is usually obvious who we are dealing with. If it is not something that you like to see you don’t have to involve yourself with it though. I like to look at these things a little differently. I think those times when we are confronted are an opportunity to set things straight. To make them see our point of view and even to let them see the reasons for our actions. Many of them do not listen, but it is still something that can be seen by others, and if we learn to deal with these people and not let them bother us, it just makes us stronger.

• Idaho progressive (171 posts)
    Profile photo of Idaho progressive Donor

16. Pulbic

I think the talent here can handle any assholes that show up.

• Deadpool (8729 posts)

17. Thanks for all the responses.

This group will remain public. This thread will now be closed.

That's All Folks