• Rollback of WP Edit

Hopefully everyone can post OK now - a bad plugin update prevented a few people from posting https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/site-updatefix/. If anyone has new issues, please let us know!

Canada

Home Canada

Haida Gwaii Potlatch: Why government and industry should take heed of Indigenous

• arikara (871 posts)
    Profile photo of arikara Donor

Haida Gwaii Potlatch: Why government and industry should take heed of Indigenous

Field notes from the Haida Gwaii Potlatch: Why government and industry should take heed of Indigenous governance decisions

…snip…

More clapping and singing as a sea of hundreds of blue ‘United Against Enbridge’ placards are raised in unison.

This was the scene at the end of a historic potlatch held in Old Masset, Haida Gwaii last month. The emotions were intense and palpable. Celebration. Relief. Exhaustion. Joy. Pride.

…snip…

I was honoured to have been invited to witness this historic potlatch, Raven Always Sets Things Right, hosted by the Yahgulaanaas/Janaas Raven Clan of Haida Gwaii. I visited Haida Gwaii for the first time just last year, and it left an indelible mark as a very special part of the world, as it does for most who are lucky enough to visit, so I was happy to return.

The potlatch was significant for a number of reasons. The primary work was to remove the hereditary chieftainships of two hereditary chiefs. The hereditary chiefs had signed a support letter for Enbridge’s request for a deadline extension on one of the 209 conditions of its approval in June 2014. No one I spoke to could remember hearing about an act as serious as removing a chieftainship before, although the possibility of the removal of a name is part of the chief naming ceremony itself.  The removal of the hereditary chieftainships in this potlatch needs to be understood by industry and governments as a legitimate and powerful response that undermines the commonly used tactic of cherry picking individuals to support their projects and “divide and conquer” communities.

…more…

http://wcel.org/resources/environmental-law-alert/field-notes-haida-gwaii-potlatch-why-government-and-industry-shoul

Shlabotnik, MistaP, RadicleFantast and 1 otherEnthusiast like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.