Canada

How do Canadians feel about "Cannabis Tourists" from the US?

• Author

Jan Boehmerman
    • Total Posts: 2,861
    @janboehmermann

Or is that even “a thing”?¬† Are Americans visiting Canada for legalized cannabis?

alcina
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 523
    @alcina

Hey, @janboehmermann. So far, I’ve not heard any complaints beyond the usual complaints I hear about visiting Americans. ūüėȬ† Then again, I’m in Ontario, where our doughy premier — despite having supposedly been a successful drug dealer in his younger days — somehow managed to create a system of legal cannabis sales that resulted in huge losses for just about everyone involved. And yet illegal sales are still doing exceedingly well because the legal stuff is ridiculously overpriced and often poorer quality. (Though I guess for Americans, the price is about 30% lower.) This article sums up the situation pretty well: https://nowtoronto.com/news/canada-cannabis-legalization-dispensaries-canntrust/

"I believe man suffers from an appalling ignorance of his own nature." -William Golding, Lord of the Flies

Jan Boehmerman
    • Total Posts: 2,861
    @janboehmermann

Thanks for the info @alcina!¬† Though¬† I’m sad to hear that Canada also has corrupt politicians¬† who can ruin “the fun” with over-regulation.

The “License Lottery” twist surprised¬† the hell out of me.¬† Gives the appearance of fairness.¬† But I’m sure the “well healed” can buy way more “lottery tickets” than the small growers!

New lottery for 50 more pot store licences not enough, insiders say

alcina
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 523
    @alcina

Yes, Canada definitely has its share of corrupt — and stupid — politicians. BC seems to be doing better with the legalization, but the Ontario overlords (and to a very large extent, the federal ones) definitely designed things to favour their rich cronies. And the federal government added a friggin’ “sin tax” even to the medical stuff…which prompted me to call my local MPP a feckless benchwarmer when he came to my door and, after my question about this, parroted the party line about the necessity of taxing medical cannabis to prevent nefarious individuals from getting bogus prescriptions in order to avoid paying tax. Sigh.

"I believe man suffers from an appalling ignorance of his own nature." -William Golding, Lord of the Flies

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.