Canada

Home Canada

Report: Millions of Canadians pretending to know who Viola Desmond was

• Shlabotnik (481 posts)
    Profile photo of Shlabotnik Donor

Report: Millions of Canadians pretending to know who Viola Desmond was

OTTAWA – Early reports suggest that many Canadians are pretending they were familiar with Viola Desmond’s significance in history after the federal government announced her face will be featured on the next $10 bill.

“It’s about time that someone who freed the slaves gets on a $10 bill,” said Miriam LaCroix of Ottawa, believing that the woman who stoically refused to comply with racial segregation in a Nova Scotia movie theatre in 1946 was Harriet Tubman.

..Snip… Prior to googling her name, countless Canadians erroneously identified the iconic woman who helped put an end to a Jim Crow law in Canada as the inventor of the zipper, a world champion curler, or a famous brain surgeon.

More! at: https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/12/report-millions-canadians-pretending-know-viola-desmond/

I’ve gotta admit, I had no clue who she was either.

Live and Learn, polly7 like this
    ~ All Good things are Wild and Free ~

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Live and Learn (1506 posts)
    Profile photo of Live and Learn Donor

1. I had no idea either. People hate admitting they don't know. lol

• polly7 (2614 posts)
    Profile photo of polly7 Donor

2. I knew who she was, but only from something I'd read years ago.

I’d forgotten some of her story.

..Snip… Prior to googling her name, countless Canadians erroneously identified the iconic woman who helped put an end to a Jim Crow law in Canada as the inventor of the zipper, a world champion curler, or a famous brain surgeon.  – funny!  She probably could have been all those things if she’d wanted to.

Judi-Lynn has a super nice thread in the JPR Reading room.

• Shlabotnik (481 posts)
      Profile photo of Shlabotnik Donor

3. Oh cool, I'll check that out. Thanks n/t

~ All Good things are Wild and Free ~