Canada

Home Canada

Welcome to JPR Canada

• arikara (867 posts)
    Profile photo of arikara Donor

Welcome to JPR Canada

This group is a place for Canadians to post about politics and any other topic of interest about our country, provinces or communities. The welcome mat is also out for anyone who has an interest or question about Canada, eh?

Canada is a big country and it would be nice to see where people in the group are from. Here’s my story. I was born in BC and lived here all my life. My early years were spent in Smithers, lived briefly in Haida Gwaii when it was still known as the Queen Charlottes, then moved to southern area of Vancouver Island, around Victoria. I grew up in quite a politically conservative area where everyone complained about Trudeau, although I secretly admired his je ne sais quoi.  I mean, how many other heads of state would have the gall to do a pirouette behind the queen?

I think my first federal vote was for Joe Who, I thought he was a decent guy and I liked his feminist wife Maureen McTeer. After they deposed him I protest voted for the Rhino party because I couldn’t decide who in the big parties I disliked the least. I finally became more politically educated and involved when Mulroney campaigned on NAFTA because of all the hype on the issue. When I dug into it, I decided that Mel Hurtig and his National Party made the most sense, and that Mulroney was a big liar. The provincial NDP was in my bad books at that time too because of Clayoquot but in spite of that, since then, I’ve pretty much stuck with the NDP both federally and provincially. I like John Horgan very much provincially, and it will be interesting to see what they are going to do federally. I miss Jack Layton. As for Justin, I can say he’s a prettier face than Harper, but he’s sure doing some things I’m not liking. Site C dam and pipelines and he’s not consulting with First Nations like he promised.

So anyhow, the welcome mat is out for this group, and please feel free to introduce yourselves too.

Shlabotnik, nenagh, Mom Cat and 4 othersmak3cats, Haikugal, Spanishprof27, RufusTFirefly like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
7 replies
  • 8 months ago #1
  • 8 months ago #5
    • TM99 (4694 posts)
      Profile photo of TM99 Banned

1. Hi Arikara

My grandfather left Russia, met my grandmother in Scotland, and they immigrated to Canada in the early 20th century.  They lived outside of Kingston, Ontario for about 7 years before finally immigrating to upstate NY and becoming US citizens.  I so wish they had become Canadian citizens instead!  :lol:

I grew up spending summers on the Saint Lawrence river and visited Canada a lot.  I spent time in Kingston, Toronto, Ottawa, and also traveled to Montreal quite often as well.  I loved and still do the climate, the culture, and the people.

I don’t know how much I have to offer the group but I am very glad y’all have one.  I hope y’all don’t mind if I lurk. ;)

When you hear people raising reasoned objections to Trump’s policies and appointments, odds are that you’re listening to the sort of thoughtful dissent that’s essential to any semblance of democracy, and it may be worth taking seriously. When you hear people criticizing Trump and his appointees for doing the same thing his rivals would have done, or his predecessors did, odds are that you’re getting the normal hypocrisy of partisan politics, and you can roll your eyes and stroll on. But when you hear people shrieking that Donald Trump is the illegitimate result of a one-night stand between Ming the Merciless and Cruella de Vil, that he cackles in Russian while barbecuing babies on a bonfire, that everyone who voted for him must be a card-carrying Nazi who hates the human race, or whatever other bit of over-the-top hate speech happens to be fashionable among the chattering classes at the moment—why, then, dear reader, you’re hearing a phenomenon as omnipresent and unmentionable in today’s America as sex was in Victorian England. You’re hearing the voice of class bigotry: the hate that dare not speak its name.  -- John Michael Greer
      • arikara (867 posts)

2. You are most welcome here, TM99

No need to lurk, feel free to chime in anytime.

• TM99 (4694 posts)
          Profile photo of TM99 Banned

3. Thanks.

:hug:

When you hear people raising reasoned objections to Trump’s policies and appointments, odds are that you’re listening to the sort of thoughtful dissent that’s essential to any semblance of democracy, and it may be worth taking seriously. When you hear people criticizing Trump and his appointees for doing the same thing his rivals would have done, or his predecessors did, odds are that you’re getting the normal hypocrisy of partisan politics, and you can roll your eyes and stroll on. But when you hear people shrieking that Donald Trump is the illegitimate result of a one-night stand between Ming the Merciless and Cruella de Vil, that he cackles in Russian while barbecuing babies on a bonfire, that everyone who voted for him must be a card-carrying Nazi who hates the human race, or whatever other bit of over-the-top hate speech happens to be fashionable among the chattering classes at the moment—why, then, dear reader, you’re hearing a phenomenon as omnipresent and unmentionable in today’s America as sex was in Victorian England. You’re hearing the voice of class bigotry: the hate that dare not speak its name.  -- John Michael Greer
    • mak3cats (379 posts)
      Profile photo of mak3cats Donor

4. I'm a wanna-be Canadian…

…and maybe will act on it one day.  For now, I’m happy living close enough to visit often, and I’m looking forward to going on my first cruise in three weeks time.  We’ll be traveling to Halifax and St John’s on our itinerary.

(I worked for a hotel chain in my distant past, and traveled full time for almost two years.  I was able to spend a wonderful month in Vancouver; it remains one of my top ten favorite places on earth.)

Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.
      • arikara (867 posts)

6. The mr is from back east

and he loved Halifax. You will have a great time, I’m sure!

• Haikugal (4804 posts)
      Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

5. Woot!

:hi:

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!!
      • arikara (867 posts)

7. Backatcha!