Cannabis on JPR

Home Cannabis on JPR

A New Test of Pot's Potential to Replace Painkillers

• Jan Boehmermann (2810 posts)
    Profile photo of Jan Boehmermann Donor

A New Test of Pot's Potential to Replace Painkillers

Physicians have commented for more than a century on the potential for cannabis to substitute for opioid drugs, and several recent studies seem to bolster this hypothesis. Researchers examining public-health records have found evidence that painkiller prescriptions, opioid abuse, and overdose deaths has declined in medical marijuana states.
    The idea has not been tested with rigorous clinical trials, however. Such trials are expensive, and they’re normally paid for by a pharmaceutical company hoping to bring a new drug to market. Because a plant that exists and reproduces in nature can’t be patented, cannabis offers few opportunities for patents (and thus profits), which makes it look like a loser to most companies.
    Lindley says her study wasn’t conceived with the opioid epidemic in mind, and she’s careful to note that no single study will be enough to settle the issue of whether marijuana could reduce the need for opioid drugs and keep people off a path that can lead to misuse, abuse—and worse. But it could offer some clues.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-new-test-of-pots-potential-to-replace-painkillers/ar-AAk7Na1?li=BBnbcA1

Pastiche, shanti, Lynetta and 12 othersEnthusiast, 7wo7rees, bbgrunt, ITW2, Mom Cat, Grey, libodem, elias39, Scuba, Sadie, immoderate, Totally Liberal Dem like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
8 replies
  • Sadie (3065 posts)
    Profile photo of Sadie Donor

1. I believe

that full extract cannabis oil played a big role in wiping out my bladder cancer.   I have watched many other bladder and urinary tract cancers disappear with cannabis oil.

Wake up, peeps, their kids go to Harvard and Yale; your kids go to Iraq & Afghanistan.   
  • elias39 (2583 posts)
    Profile photo of elias39 Donor

2. Pharma may not be able to patent the plant,

but I imagine certain preparations or ‘cocktails’ might.

I hope not. Because that’s when we’ll probably see 5,000% price increases like with other sought-after medications.

“Name, no, nothing is nameable, tell, no, nothing can be told, what then, I don't know, I shouldn't have begun.” ― Samuel Beckett, Stories and Texts for Nothing
  • libodem (985 posts)
    Profile photo of libodem

3. That would be great

Especially since most opioid medication gives folks the whirlies and make you want to vomit.

It would be a plus to have a pain reliever that you can’t overdose on and it eases nausea.

Please Goddess do your magic with the Mennonite Medicine.

• Sadie (3065 posts)

4. Also

Mytrangia Speciosa has helped several in my family and friend’s kick the opioid or heroin habit.  It is just as valuable and healing of a plant as cannabis.  We have been sold out to Pharma.

Wake up, peeps, their kids go to Harvard and Yale; your kids go to Iraq & Afghanistan.   
    • Marylander (379 posts)
      Profile photo of Marylander

5. I've never heard of that – is it an herb?

• Sadie (3065 posts)

6. Yes, it is Kratom

I have never taken opioids nor had a drug habit.  I do use the kratom as a tea when my sciatica pain is unbearable and it is rather amazing.  In fact, it works better than gabapentin which is prescribed or pain pills.  The DEA was trying to make it illegal nationwide a couple of months ago, and I believe it may be illegal in 4 states .  Big pharma is really pushing against it because it is taking so many patients off the opioid market and so they have poured money into criminalizing it.  So far, I have helped 4 friends and family completely drop opioids.  My ex had been injured on his job and was on 270 Percoset per month like clockwork for over 10 years.  He was dying from the addiction, he had dropped so much weight that he was down from 185 to 140 at 6 ft.  He had no energy and was miserable.  If you know anyone that wants to drop opioids, have them read the success stories on this site and then the how to.  There is a specific strain and method to the whole process.  I also belong to a FB group where thousands of people have kicked either heroin or opioids.

http://www.americankratom.org/

This is who I buy from.

https://fisherbotanicals.com/

• Marylander (379 posts)
          Profile photo of Marylander

7. thanks – good to know.

• Sadie (3065 posts)

8. Alcoholism and PTSD as well

I am also reading of several who have quit drinking because of Kratom.  And veterans who can’t use cannabis due to workplace drug testing have reported that it helps with PTSD.  I know that it does relieve anxiety for me and since it is related to coffee plant a good energy.